PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Buying Foil

tortaboy
10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I've been thinking about the amount of foil that we've been going through lately, along with the price of foil going up every year.

I just bought this: Large Vintage Aluminum MIRRO TURKEY/HAM ROASTER w RACK Roasting Pan w Lid as a replacement for foil. I figure I'll smoke my butts as normal, and when it comes time for foiling, I'll just throw them in the aluminum pan to "Braise" them (I think we just learned that foiling braises meat instead of steams meat from the Stall thread).

I can't think of a reason why this would not work as a foil replacement...can you?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJ,!loE6BiwrEfQBOi6rzh)mw~~60_1.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJ,!loE6BiwrEfQBOi6rzh)mw~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJ,!g4E5oJJ5g,,BOi6s)rh6!~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqZ,!l4E6Bm5uv4SBOi6uIzb7!~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqZ,!hgE5ozIUhBuBOi6uEzWTg~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Large-Vintage-Aluminum-MIRRO-TURKEY-HAM-ROASTER-w-RACK-Roasting-Pan-w-Lid-/00/s/NzQ1WDEwMDA=/$(KGrHqJ,!igE5g8YFlWmBOi6vH0cnw~~60_14.JPG

Sell one like this (http://cgi5.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SellLikeItem&_trksid=p4340.l2567&item=140615501108)
Large Vintage Aluminum MIRRO TURKEY/HAM ROASTER w RACK Roasting Pan w Lid

Rookie'48
10-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Considering that some of us put the meat in a foil half pan & cover with foil - I can't see any difference

Blackened
10-05-2011, 12:06 AM
This lasts me over a year, and I use a lot of foil.. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10277782&whse=bd_827&topnav=bdoff&browse=&lang=en-US

bigabyte
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
Too much foil????:shock:

IMPOSSSIBLE!!!!

Seriously though...that will work fine. Only trouble you will have is cleanup. It can be convenient to skip the cleanup on a foil pan. Other than that, you will probably enjoy how much more sturdy that pan is compared to foil ones.

At least now you can save your foil for better uses!:becky:

Enjoy!:thumb:

tortaboy
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
This lasts me over a year, and I use a lot of foil.. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10277782&whse=bd_827&topnav=bdoff&browse=&lang=en-US

That is a very good price and I certainly appreciate the heads up.

I was going through 200 feet of foil a month this summer (I hate to not fill up my smoker when I cook). I got the foil pan for $33 delivered. Since it will just be for my smoker, I don't care that it will get very discolored...hopefully it will last forever!

tortaboy
10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Too much foil????:shock:

Only trouble you will have is cleanup. It can be convenient to skip the cleanup on a foil pan.

Waayy ahead of you buddy. Before I ordered it, I conversed with the wife about why this would be a good idea.

Me=Cook
She=Clean

:heh:

JMSetzler
10-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I buy foil at Sams Club in 500' x 18" rolls for less than $15 and they last me a really really really long time... :)

Blackened
10-05-2011, 01:40 AM
I buy foil at Sams Club in 500' x 18" rolls for less than $15 and they last me a really really really long time... :)

Wow, that's a screaming deal.. little disappointed in the Kirkland 500X18 roll this last time, the foil was definitely a little thinner than usual. I had a little left in the old roll to compare, and it used to give the thickness on the side of the box, not anymore.

JMSetzler
10-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Wow, that's a screaming deal.. little disappointed in the Kirkland 500X18 roll this last time, the foil was absolutely a little thinner than usual. I had a little left in the old roll to compare, and it used to give the thickness on the side of the box, not anymore.

The $15 rolls at sams are not particularly thick. For my uses of foil it works great. I always double foil my smoked meats before they go in the cooler anyway.

Blackened
10-05-2011, 01:53 AM
The $15 rolls at sams are not particularly thick. For my uses of foil it works great. I always double foil my smoked meats before they go in the cooler anyway.

Up until just this year, the Kirkland rolls were thick enough that you could get away with a single wrap. Now it's borderline, and I find myself double wrapping a lot more than I used to..

Jaskew82
10-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Waayy ahead of you buddy. Before I ordered it, I conversed with the wife about why this would be a good idea.

Me=Cook
She=Clean

This post has WIN written all over it!

pinkelephant
10-05-2011, 09:11 AM
it must, they are (HDAF) something like $23 now. I just got it. I gave all my other foil boxes to my neighbor

RangerJ
10-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Tried to save a few bucks and buy the regular foil vs heavy duty at Restaurant Depot..big tactical error. That stuff tore when I just thought about getting some off the roll.

tortaboy
10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Tried to save a few bucks and buy the regular foil vs heavy duty at Restaurant Depot..big tactical error. That stuff tore when I just thought about getting some off the roll.

Good point. Anyone that can tear the lid on my roaster is the stud of all studs!

I think I've found a low cost solution that will allow me never to foil again.....I'm waiting for someone to say the idea is brillant! :wink:

Gore
10-05-2011, 09:37 AM
For easy clean-up, try lining the inside of that roasting pan with foil. I know it saves me a LOT of time! :thumb:

davet54
10-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Good point. Anyone that can tear the lid on my roaster is the stud of all studs!

I think I've found a low cost solution that will allow me never to foil again.....I'm waiting for someone to say the idea is brillant! :wink:

Ok, no one else said it I will make you smile, BRILLIANT IDEA

AZScott
10-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Brilliant!!!!! You deserve a Guinness.

sandiegobbq
10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Up until just this year, the Kirkland rolls were thick enough that you could get away with a single wrap. Now it's borderline, and I find myself double wrapping a lot more than I used to..

Costco has different grades of their Kirkland foil.

I get the heavy duty kind which is the thickest.

Blackened
10-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Costco has different grades of their Kirkland foil.

I get the heavy duty kind which is the thickest.

As do I, my point is their thickest isn't as thick as it once was..

Cris
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I've always placed my pork shoulders into a dutch oven for the 2 hour rest. Don't foil ribs, so that is not an issue for me.

pinkelephant
10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
For easy clean-up, try lining the inside of that roasting pan with foil. I know it saves me a LOT of time! :thumb:

foil the pan he bought so he doesn't need to foil....
another brilliant idea!! :-P:thumb:

pinkelephant
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
I would assume this would be very insulating and slow down the cooking process. BWTFDIK

Randbo
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Keeping the pot clean is not going to be easy. I thought I did not need to keep my water pan covered in foil and after a couple of cooks the black layer on it got thick enough that it started falling off in little bits. It made a delayed mess. Then cleaning it was a drag!! I gladly buy the foil.

Kenny Rogers
10-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I would assume this would be very insulating and slow down the cooking process. BWTFDIK

Actually foiling, and/or using a pan would accelerate the cooking process. Due to the "stall" or evaporative cooling, mentioned in other threads.

The only possilbe downside would be the juices drying up and scorching the pan. IMO the foil allows you to hold the juices against the meat, and keep the meat moist, and the juices flowing in and out of the meat.
Also, I can see the bottom, or the part of the meat that's against the pan being soggy and/or burnt and the rest of the meat being dry.... uneven cooking.

But who knows? :confused: This COULD be a BRILLIANT idea! The only way to find out is to try it out!

Let us know what you find out!

If I had a wish (for this procedure) it would be that SOMEONE would invent LARGE foil (HEAVY DUTY) pouches, large enough for a brisket would be great!

I bought a roll of foil from Cash & Carry... it was cheap! But, I didn't notice, it wasn't HD, and is less than adequate :(

Durzil
10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
HD Reynolds Wrap from Costco here. I don't foil ribs anymore and use cheap aluminium pans from the dollar store as a base for butts. I haven't done a brisket yet. You can only get flats here and their expensive plus I have quality Tri-Tip available year round :) Good idea tho I hope it works out for you. I agree with lining the pan for easier clean up.

RangerJ
10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
It will work just fine. Before I down sized pits, I used pans for both butts and briskets. They had no lid, so I had to use foil over the top, but same concept

You will find its easier to add liquid if needed, check temps without unwrapping, moving the meat around etc.

As was mentioned, the only down side is you have added another item that will need to be cleaned.

Post some PrOn once you decide to put it to use.

expatpig
10-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Not sure if wrapping tightly in foil, is the same as placing it in a covered pan.Because of the amount of air space inside the pan, the lid will remain cooler than the meat causing moisture to condense on the underside of the lid and drip on the meat, similar to a dutch oven, rather than contain the moisture on the surface of the meat. No scientific research here, but my theory is that the meat would dry out quicker in a pan, rather than wrapped in foil.

Jaskew82
10-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Actually foiling, and/or using a pan would accelerate the cooking process. Due to the "stall" or evaporative cooling, mentioned in other threads.

The possible downside or counter argument to this theory is that the pan would slow down the cook because you are now adding thermal mass to the cooker that is now at a lower temp. The meat would not cook until the mass of the pan was heated to the equivalent temp of the cooker and its surroundings.

Not my argument but a valid one...

pmad
10-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Me=Cook
She=Clean

I got the same deal.
Sweat ain't it.

Kenny Rogers
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM
The possible downside or counter argument to this theory is that the pan would slow down the cook because you are now adding thermal mass to the cooker that is now at a lower temp. The meat would not cook until the mass of the pan was heated to the equivalent temp of the cooker and its surroundings.

Not my argument but a valid one...

True, however aluminum doesn't isn't a very good insulator. It heats up and cools down very fast.

pinkelephant
10-05-2011, 01:36 PM

The only possilbe downside would be the juices drying up and scorching the pan. IMO the foil allows you to hold the juices against the meat, and keep the meat moist, and the juices flowing in and out of the meat.
Also, I can see the bottom, or the part of the meat that's against the pan being soggy and/or burnt and the rest of the meat being dry.... uneven cooking.

But who knows? :confused: This COULD be a BRILLIANT idea! The only way to find out is to try it out!

Let us know what you find out!

If I had a wish (for this procedure) it would be that SOMEONE would invent LARGE foil (HEAVY DUTY) pouches, large enough for a brisket would be great!

I bought a roll of foil from Cash & Carry... it was cheap! But, I didn't notice, it wasn't HD, and is less than adequate :(
I was picturing him using the lid too. nevermind :redface:

Mister Bob
10-05-2011, 02:22 PM
I've heard that the liquid inside tightly wrapped foil acts more like a coffee percolator, travelling up and around, basting the meat with all the flavor of the juices whereas a covered roasting pan simply surrounds the meat with steam which is only water vapor.
It seems to make sense. Any scientists out there care to weigh in?

Kenny Rogers
10-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I was picturing him using the lid too. nevermind :redface:

Well yeah, me too, but juices would still evaporate, even with the lid on.
Perhaps if you treated it like a turkey or a roast in the oven by adding water and juices to the bottom and basting it on a regular basis...

tortaboy
10-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I got the same deal.
Sweat ain't it.

Yep! And she thinks she got the good end of the deal.:heh:

I got a keeper!

LT72884
10-06-2011, 12:26 AM

LOL, foil is great at lining stuff for easy clean up. haha.wait, nevermind, you bought this to replace foil. So, use another roasting pan in side that roasting pan.

LT72884
10-06-2011, 12:28 AM
I've heard that the liquid inside tightly wrapped foil acts more like a coffee percolator, travelling up and around, basting the meat with all the flavor of the juices whereas a covered roasting pan simply surrounds the meat with steam which is only water vapor.
It seems to make sense. Any scientists out there care to weigh in?

the steam should also carry the falvoring as well. the water vapor carries the other particles with it since alot of them have broken down and are now freely suspended in the liquid.

i tried. i dont start fluid and thermo dynamics till next semester. haha

qnbiker
10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to wrap that pan in towels and put it in a cooler.

Cook
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Tired of buying foil? Learn to cook without it. It ain't hard.

Magnum338
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I tried foiling early on but had problems with getting holes in the foil and losing all my juices. I started using the heavy duty plastic bags for roasting turkeys. Once I get my Butt or Brisket up to temp, I put it in the Turkey Bag, adding a little beef broth or apple juice. I leave the temp probe in place and wrap the bag tightly around the probe , securing with a string. I then set it in a pan or on a tray and bring it up to 195 or 200. After letting it rest until I'm ready to carve, I have a secure bag of juice which I skim the fat off of and use for dipping. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried the Reynolds Oven Turkey Bags in place of foil.

tortaboy
10-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Keeping the pot clean is not going to be easy. I thought I did not need to keep my water pan covered in foil and after a couple of cooks the black layer on it got thick enough that it started falling off in little bits. It made a delayed mess. Then cleaning it was a drag!! I gladly buy the foil.

My wife is okay with the job of washer, so that's cool. I guarantee you this pot will look like new every time I use it. Interesting how many comments about washing the pot...does that mean it needs to be pristine before every use?

How clean are the grates on everyone's smokers? Are grates cleaned to a shiny silver before cooking on them...or is the reality that the meat is going from braising in a shiny pot, back on some nasty grates for some final smoke? Just saying. :icon_shy

tortaboy
10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm gonna hijack my own thread.

I'm still waiting for my roasting pot...so, today I'm cooking four butts. The butts hit appx.160 degrees. I foil one of them. 3 hours later all four butts are appx 185 degrees? WTH??? I always assumed that foiling makes the meat cook faster, but during today's cook it did not. Has anyone else ever done a side by side comparison or do we all just assume that the foil makes meat cook faster?

Pinny
10-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Not sure how well your roaster will work. Effective braising requires a cramped space and lots of liquid. Braising (ie: foiling) should also speed up cooking considerably. Just make sure the foil is tight and that there's ample liquid.

tortaboy
10-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm not sure how well the roaster will work either. I had the foil tight and ended up with lots of liquid just from what comes out of the butt (I never add water or juice).

I couldn't believe that the unfoiled butts are cooking at the same temps. Who knows, maybe I just discovered a bbq myth? :wink: