PDA

View Full Version : Burning out the Red Liner

musman
10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
After reading page after page and thread after thread of UDS builds I finally scored 3 barrels (with the red liner) and cut the tops and drilled the holes for all of them in less than an hour. Started the burn out and had all three going pretty good. Just to make sure I got this right, I burned the barrels until the red liner turned black then started to flake and then the barrel turned pinkish. Picture below of the start of the pink spots. 95% of two of the barrels are all pink now.

If I get the whole thing pink, I should be good to go, right?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58018&stc=1&d=1317757833

Warthog
10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Then just get the wire brush out and clean it up real good. A nice coat of paint on the outside to keep it from rusting. When completed put some vegetable oil on the inside and give it a seasoning burn. You should then be ready to do some smoking.

Rick T
10-05-2011, 08:47 AM
If you have a 3,000psi or 4,000 psi pressure washer, use it first then wire brush you will save a lot of time and pain.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/Ruffly/UDS/cookoutandUDS010-1.jpg

Ron_L
10-05-2011, 09:31 AM
If you have a 3,000psi or 4,000 psi pressure washer, use it first then wire brush you will save a lot of time and pain.

That looks like the tan liner that is in the drum sitting in my garage. Did you do anything besides use the pressure washer?

Rick T
10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Ron:
I burned it for a couple hours with hard wood and softwood while cooking hot dogs and drinking beer.

But other wise that is it. I did not even use a grinder for the little that was left behind. (those little red spots) It is a red painted liner.

Rick

swallytrip
10-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Musman i was about to post the same thing as you today but i have been having trouble getting my red liner out i did a really hot burn on it for a few hours the other night all the outside paint is done but the inside was only about half gone i have been working on it with a knotted wire wheel on my angle grinder and its till being a PITA to get out im gonna put up a pic later to get some input if mine should be safe enough to cook on yet honestly im getting a little run down with trying to get this red liner out next time i will gladly pay more $ for an unlined drum now i know why i can get new ones with lids here for $10 all day long :doh:

1FUNVET
10-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Musman i was about to post the same thing as you today but i have been having trouble getting my red liner out i did a really hot burn on it for a few hours the other night all the outside paint is done but the inside was only about half gone i have been working on it with a knotted wire wheel on my angle grinder and its till being a PITA to get out im gonna put up a pic later to get some input if mine should be safe enough to cook on yet honestly im getting a little run down with trying to get this red liner out next time i will gladly pay more $ for an unlined drum now i know why i can get new ones with lids here for $10 all day long :doh:

If you can lay the drum down w/o it starting a grass fire then start your fire and slowly roll it around after each area gets really hot. Should take care of all the liner.

hogzgonewild
10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
If you can lay the drum down w/o it starting a grass fire then start your fire and slowly roll it around after each area gets really hot. Should take care of all the liner.

Dang, that is a great idea! :thumb:

Ron_L
10-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Ron:
I burned it for a couple hours with hard wood and softwood while cooking hot dogs and drinking beer.

But other wise that is it. I did not even use a grinder for the little that was left behind. (those little red spots) It is a red painted liner.

Rick

Thanks... I don't have any place to burn it out, so I was hoping that the pressure washer by itself did the trick :( I guess I have to find someone to sandblast it.

musman
10-07-2011, 08:01 AM
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh42/Ruffly/UDS/cookoutandUDS010-1.jpg

Rick: Does all the "pink" need to be removed?