PDA

View Full Version : 1st Chuckie cook time?

kitts21
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Bought my first chuckie yesterday. It's a little over 3.5#. Knowing that each piece off meat is different, how long appox. should this take on my UDS. I'm not looking for exact times just something close. Thanks.

tamadrummer
10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Depending on temp I would guess at 250 - 275, 6 to 9 hours. Just don't become impatient, the meat will stay hot in the cooler for hours and hours if it is done early but don't be surprised if it is in the stall for a really long time. I was in too much of a hurry for my first chuckie and it was not as tender/juicy as I would have liked. The rest of the family loved it.

I personally would start it 14+ hours before the expected meal time. That leaves you more than adequate time to cooler-rest your meat and still have it hot for service time.

Cast Iron Chef
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Last one I did was like 6 pounds. Cooked 4 hours in smoke then 2 hours in a pan and some broth. Was like butter.

Blackened
10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Bought my first chuckie yesterday. It's a little over 3.5#. Knowing that each piece off meat is different, how long appox. should this take on my UDS. I'm not looking for exact times just something close. Thanks.

5 hours

Blackened
10-04-2011, 11:01 AM
I personally would start it 14+ hours before the expected meal time. That leaves you more than adequate time to cooler-rest your meat and still have it hot for service time.

So he's going to get up at 3 am to put on a 3 lb chuckie for dinner that night?

bover
10-04-2011, 11:06 AM

At 225*, probably about 5 hours give or take.

nexpress
10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I did a 5 pounder on Sunday. Smoked for 5 1/2 hours. Then foiled with beef stock put back on WSM for another 2 hours , rested it for an hour them pulled it and made taco's out of it.

tamadrummer
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I should have included your rub time and injection time and then your cook time. I am sorry it was not clear. I start late the night before, inject/rub/wrap and rest. At about 5 or 6 depending on how well I am able to open my eyes, I get going and the food is done when it is done. At least 14 hours planned for in my schedule.

However, you may take more or less time as you like.

kitts21
10-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the input guy's. Should I rub it the night before.......Oh that just sounds wrong:becky:, How about letting it sit in a nice bath of some Saranac pumpkin ale over night?