PDA

View Full Version : Extra Large Big Green Egg

BABYGOTBUTT
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Just recently upgraded from a large to XL BGE. Filled it up for a 12 pound butt. Could not keep temp down to 220. Only thing that has worked since is a lot less charcoal. Anyone have the same problems with xl bge? Tips?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I take it you have already checked the gasket seal with the dollar bill test?

Ron_L
10-03-2011, 08:44 PM
How did you start the fire? How much fuel is in the Egg has nothing to do with the temp. That's controlled by how much is actually burning. Start the fire in the middle of the pile and catch the temps as they climb. It you let it get hotter than your target it will be very hard to bring back down.

BABYGOTBUTT
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
yeah...started fire actually at top of pile. I let it get to 275 and just could not get it back down. Thanks for the comments. Yes...gasket is good.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
10-03-2011, 08:59 PM
How long between starting the fire and putting on the meat? I usually have vat least an hour before the meat goes on. By then the temp is right where I want it by starting slow and gradually opening up the slide damper.

I don't have an XL, though.

MG_NorCal
10-03-2011, 10:37 PM
How did you get the charcoal going?
For 220* I add 1/3 chimney lit of charcoal to my bowl of unlit lump, add the platesetter, then set the top vent so the daisy is full open and the intake is open about 1/4 inch.
Opening the vent more than that will bring the temp up faster, but at the risk of overshooting.
Difficulty bringing temp down is due to too much lit charcoal to start or giving the fire too much air and overshooting your temp.
Give yourself 1/2 hour to reach temp.
You may even need to cut the intake to less than 1/4 inch.

Dragonfly
10-03-2011, 10:49 PM
The big thing for me is air flow and not overshooting my target temp. It is a challenge to bring it back down. 220 in my arid part of the world is daisy wheel open and 3/8 to 1/2 for the lower vent. Be sure to put the platesetter in and let everything stabilize before you start your cook. Hope you love your XL as much as I do mine:-D

GreenDrake
10-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Get a Stoker or a Guru. I can cruise my Kamado Joe at 175 forever. Doesn't matter the temp really, it's flow control. A stoker will surely give you what you are looking for with regard to temp control.

BBQJack
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
I have the same problem with my Primo XL. The size of the coal bed is humungous, so getting it down when it's gone too high is hard.

I'm thinking a spray bottle set to stream so you could cool down the coal bed might work. At least that's the way I'll approach it when it happens to me again. The stream will let me direct the water to pinpoint accuracy. Eventually the coals will dry off and become burnable again.

I've overshot -even with a guru. The coal bed of those XLs are just so huge....

Gore
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
The best way to get it down is to never let it get past your target temp! These things hold the heat really well. Two tricks I use is to put in a big pot of cold water -- that will absorb the heat. Another thing is to remove the deflector shields and let them cool off, then put them back in. I don't like doing the latter as it is a bit dangerous, but it works if you're quick.

Fishhook
10-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I have the same problem with my Primo XL. The size of the coal bed is humungous, so getting it down when it's gone too high is hard.

I'm thinking a spray bottle set to stream so you could cool down the coal bed might work. At least that's the way I'll approach it when it happens to me again. The stream will let me direct the water to pinpoint accuracy. Eventually the coals will dry off and become burnable again.

I've overshot -even with a guru. The coal bed of those XLs are just so huge....

I'm thinking a stream would kick up a fair amount of ash..which will end up on your Q

I lower my temp by first closing the intake to where I think it should be, and then closing the exhaust altogether for JUST A COUPLE minutes. This seems to work for me on the UDS. On the big tank smoker I just pull the firebox and remove some coals.

Cook
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
As with most pits (and especially with a ceramic) you want to catch your rising temperatures well below your target. If you're looking for 220, you're gonna want to start shutting it down around 180. Don't be in a hurry and try to shoot it up to 220 fast. Shut it down at 180 and let it creep up to 220.

I would have been more than happy with the 275 it sounds like you settled in at.

The sign of a good pit master is to be able to cook at any temperature. You may have a preferred temp, but never think that you can only be a good cook at that specific temp. You are much better than that. You can do it...have confidence.

Big George's BBQ
10-04-2011, 08:08 AM
I believe some on this site have divised a coal box insert to only put in half a load of coal in the Ex Large BGE. That may help