PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried using Wonderboard for insulation?

dapittboss
05-13-2005, 09:59 AM
I have been trying to come up with a way to insulate my BSKD. I was thinking of using Wonderboard, maybe in the firebox and perhaps even on the outside of the smoke chamber. It would be easy to cut and shape, I'm not sure how much heat it can take, but being that it's made of concrete I would think that it should be pretty heat resistant. It comes in 1/2" and 1/4" thinknesses, I was thinking of 1/2" Has anybody tried this?

parrothead
05-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Probably not good for insulation, but may be good for a heat sink in the firebox. It is however bound together with something that may not be able to stand up to the heat. Durock may be better. I would throw a chunk into a bonfire to see if it stands up or not. I would also check with the maufacturer for an MSDS sheet to see what for sure is in it.

chad
05-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Check out the product sheet - it's true that it's a concrete product but it's "bound" between fiberglass sheets. Also, it's about 3# per sq ft. It is NOT water resistant.

Also, how are you going to attach it to the cooker?

Here's one sheet of info:

www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/icbo-es/5771.pdf

chad
05-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Here's the MSDS on DuRock:

www.cgcinc.com/pdf/msds/14-cgc-dur_e.pdf

Here's the manufacturer data sheet on DuRock;

www.cgcinc.com/dlf/datasheets/edr_6295.pdf

Here's a site for investigating Fire Resistant & REtardant Insulation:

www.thomasregisterdirectory.com/insulation-materials/fire_resistant_retardant_insulation_0047959_1.html

dapittboss
05-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Dave, thanks for the great links, tons of useful info. I don't know how feasable this idea is, I've been trying to find some way to insulate this thing. It seems to radiate so much heat that I feel if I can improve the efficiancy even very little it would help greatly.

Bill-Chicago
05-13-2005, 11:01 AM
I think Phil uses a sheet of that stuff against his fence, to protect it from the heat of the firebox.

BigAl
05-19-2005, 05:47 PM
I have found a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch thick 2000 F material that is used in commerical fire cooking eating places that could be cut and fastened to the out side of the cookers. It cost $150.00 per sheet. No, I did not buy it.

jgh1204
05-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Outside of pit, ok, inside, I wouldn't. Cement, the stuff used to make concrete, has all sorts of nasty chemicals that I would not want in my smoking chamber.