PDA

View Full Version : Moink ball lesson learned!

tmehlhorn
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Have made Moink balls a few times with fantastic results.... till today. The difference i pulled out some ultra cheap crappy fatty bacon, its all I had. Well they did not get done fast enough do to all the fat. So i let them keep cooking, when they looked done i pulled them result- way to crunchy bacon, it was extra hard!! and the tasted like dog doo. :sick: Never thought i would actually throw moink balls away but today i did.

Lesson buy GOOD Bacon that is not real fatty.

rondini
09-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Our dog loves it when I find that the smoke did not work out as I had planned. It's also getting harder to find good bacon for a decent price around here. I'm now thinking that I should start smoking my own bacon.

Chef Jim
09-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Lucky dog.

jimmyinsd
09-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Our dog loves it when I find that the smoke did not work out as I had planned. It's also getting harder to find good bacon for a decent price around here. I'm now thinking that I should start smoking my own bacon.

i hear ya, i went to grab some for a batch of turds and the cheapest stuff was about $6.00 per pound and that looked like nothing more than fat. meat prices are getting pretty rediculous, especially considering i live smack in the middle of "meat country"

Cast Iron Chef
09-26-2011, 05:52 PM
I've been buying my bacon from behind the meat counter at the store. Like $2/lb cheaper then packaged and much better.

tmehlhorn
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM
We have a meat place i buy all my beef and what pork i can get it is way better meat, all local animals and it is actually cheaper than at the store. This is the last bacon i get from the store it is back to my meat company.

DirtyDirty00
09-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I learned the cheap Bacon error a couple months ago. Then I relearned it two weeks after that again. Impossible to get good strips of cheap bacon. Can't really wrap things and forget even trying a weave