PDA

View Full Version : Most versatile meat?

tmehlhorn
09-26-2011, 04:04 AM
So i was thinking since coming to this site and all the ideas ive seen ive done a lot more smoking. And i have started doing pulled pork on a regular basis. and think this particular cut is one of the most versatile i have used. So i would have to vote for a boston butt. (pulled pork sandwiches, pulled pork tacos, pulled pork grilled cheese, pulled pork pie, etc. What do you guys think is the most versatile cut of meat?

Crash
09-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Boston Butt IMHO. I think you're correct sir.

IamMadMan
09-26-2011, 06:52 AM
So i was thinking since coming to this site and all the ideas ive seen ive done a lot more smoking. And i have started doing pulled pork on a regular basis. and think this particular cut is one of the most versatile i have used. So i would have to vote for a boston butt. (pulled pork sandwiches, pulled pork tacos, pulled pork grilled cheese, pulled pork pie, etc. What do you guys think is the most versatile cut of meat?

I would agree that the pork butt is vesatile, and is also the most forgiving to those who are new to smoking.

deguerre
09-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Plus, it's not just pulled pork. Sliced for pork steaks, ground, roasted for slicing...(As long as you don't call that barbeque:becky:) the Boston Butt is one of my faves for sure.

Pappy
09-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Big butt all the way.

blues_n_cues
09-26-2011, 07:23 AM
i'll go w/ brisket.

italian brisket sammie
corned beef
pastrami
pulled or sliced brisket sammie
brisket nachos
chili
brisket quesadillas
brisket tacos
brisket & monterrey jack abt's
brisket in a blanket w/ german mustard
brisket enchiladas
brisket burgers
(sounds like bubba from forrest gump):laugh:

Phubar
09-26-2011, 08:14 AM
LOL @ Blues n Cues!

I'm going for the porkneck,we use that to make pulled pork over here.
Right now Dennessey is cooking 3 porknecks in my garden...when I get home from Sicily there's one waiting for me ready to get devoured.:becky:

Theboz1419
09-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Well, Bubba would say Shrimp is the most versatile meat

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.":becky:

FltEng
09-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Let me add to the shrimp list; blackened. Which I happened to have had last night YUM

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

blues_n_cues
09-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Well, Bubba would say Shrimp is the most versatile meat

"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.":becky:

bubba didn't know about lime garlic shrimp/chorizo/queso blanco stuffed & grilled poblanos.:thumb:

hogwild284
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Butts for sure! And it is usually pretty inexpensive.

Theboz1419
09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
bubba didn't know about lime garlic shrimp/chorizo/queso blanco stuffed & grilled poblanos.:thumb:

I guess Bubba also forgot shrimp paste, fajitas, Shrimp íní grits, oat shrimp, shrimp tempura, soft-fried shrimp, batter-fried shrimp, sake steamed shrimp, drunken prawns, and a milioon other ways lol

blues_n_cues
09-26-2011, 09:32 AM
I guess Bubba also forgot shrimp paste, fajitas, Shrimp íní grits, oat shrimp, shrimp tempura, soft-fried shrimp, batter-fried shrimp, sake steamed shrimp, drunken prawns, and a milioon other ways lol

true.

razrbakcrzy
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Butt

ianjoe
09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
another vote for pork shoulder

Captain Dave
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Brisket is a close second, and probably better for you. Not that that matters

Lake Dogs
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
I keep telling the wife that the answer to this question is: MINE

It's tough, between beef (either brisket or I prefer pulled chuckie) and pork (butts, whole shoulders, picnics). Largely, IMHO, they're each just about as versatile as the other.

sandiegobbq
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
If it wasn't bbq I would say chicken for sure.

BBQ I would give a slight edge to pork.

mbshop
09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
butt. but wife is allergic to pork so second/first is brisket.

Rylos1
09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Boston butt!

boatnut
09-27-2011, 07:19 PM
like homer simpson always said...."pork is the magic animal" :)

blues_n_cues
09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
p*ssy is a versatile animal.. just sayin'..
you can mount it 7 get it hot 7 ways from sunday or just take up it's time.......it just depends0..............