PDA

View Full Version : Mojo pork sirloin (bone in) help please

tamadrummer
09-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Hello all, I am making 2, 4# pork sirloins tomorrow for the family dinner. I have the pork in marinade now. (Mojo injected and rubbed with seasoned salt, Adobo with pepper, and Sazon). My main question is, should I use hickory while cooking or cook only using charcoal? I would like to use some hickory chunks in my COS BSNP but I don't know if smoke goes well with Mojo.

Thanks in advance for any help! :-D

CharredPiggies
09-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Fruit woods or oak works well for me. If it's hickory, just use sparingly or not at all

eddieh70301
09-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I usually use apple or cherry wood w pork. I also mix in a chunk of oak or pecan. If you use hickory use it sparingly. As long as you don't over do it I think you will be ok.

tamadrummer
09-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I love hickory and use it for regular pulled pork and every other application. My question is should I use smoke wood because this is mojo style or just charcoal because this is mojo style. If I were making bbq pulled pork I would be totally all over the hickory but I am not comfortable using smoke for mojo.

mantequiya
09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I would go for just the charcoal. Hickory and mojo may or may not be great together but just charcoal is a sure thing. Just made a mojo marinated picnic in the kettle with just kingsford blue and it came out great.

tamadrummer
09-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Thank you so much. Sadly I have already begun my cook and used one large chunk of hickory. I buried it in the charcoal and it has already done its magic so I hope I have not ruined the meat. Because I am using the junkiest cooker ever invented, I don't think it should be too awful bad because the smoke was gone in 15m, there is very little low and slow about the firebox of that junker.

Anyway, thank you for your advice and I will not add anymore wood to the fire, just k blue charcoal.

mantequiya
09-25-2011, 09:12 AM
Can't imagine there is any chance it will ruin it. Good luck.
BTW the wife is from Zephyrhills

tamadrummer
09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
It is a small world isn't it. Where in Zhills? I don't know if the YMCA was here when she lived here but if it was, that is the neighborhood I live in. Across Eiland from Silver Oaks in Silver Oaks Village.

Mark R
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Hickory works just fine with Mojo, use it all the time. I just try to keep it light. And a Howdy from across the bridge in St. Pete!:thumb:

tamadrummer
09-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Howdy Mark. I drive across the Howard Franklin 3 times a week right now for Mental Health rotation in RN school. Tis a long ride but, wow what a different world it is over there where lots of people live v. here where relatively few live. You have so many more choices of everything. I really like going over there.

Mark R
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Howdy Mark. I drive across the Howard Franklin 3 times a week right now for Mental Health rotation in RN school. Tis a long ride but, wow what a different world it is over there where lots of people live v. here where relatively few live. You have so many more choices of everything. I really like going over there.
And I love getting away from all these people!:becky: I get out of town every chance I get. Now get back to that sirloin!:-D

tamadrummer
09-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Just checked it. Tis looking marvelous!

mantequiya
09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
It sure is. She lived on the other side town off Otis Allen Road

tamadrummer
09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
It sure is. She lived on the other side town off Otis Allen Road

Yeah, she lived a good ways away.

Well I have to say the pork is killer! No chance for pics because as soon as I had it pulled and packed in the cooler, it was gone to the fams house for supper.

The wife made some black beans, I made home made (not packaged) yellow rice and the mojo pork. I have to say, the Winn-Dixie store brand mojo sauce is absolutely kick butt good!! I also seasoned the outside with Goya Adobo with pepper, Sazon Goya with saffron, and Blazin Blends seasoned salt and injected the mojo and let it sit over night with that all working on it. This morning about 45 minutes before I put the pork in the smoker I covered liberally with Oakridge BBQ Competition Beef and Pork rub with added kosher salt to the blend. I have to say this is about the best flavored pork I have ever made! The Oakridge rub took this right over the top!!

As a side note, the hickory would have been great had I used more of it. I wish now that I had used several pieces but even without smoke it was so good!