PDA

View Full Version : I'm Stoked!

morgaj1
09-24-2011, 07:30 PM
I finally got the temps sorted in my UDS. First off, the cheap metal thermometer is about 60F off from right. I bought a Maverick ET-732. I also replaced the Uniflame Kettle lid with a Weber 22.5" lid. I put a stove gasket and High-Temp Silicone on the edge of the lid. So, tonight I did a test cook before the big cook tomorrow. Rather than a half a chimney, I lit 14 Kingsford briquettes and poured them over a basket of unlit charcoal. Added a couple of chunks of hickory and off we went. After an hour and some air vent tweaking, it settled in at 250-255F on the lower grate and 270-275F on the upper grate and has been there for a few hours. It seems that this is where it wants to cook and I am fine with it. This is only my 2nd attempt at smoking, so I am really excited.

I took a turkey breast and injected it with Cajun Gold. I then injected a butt with Big Bob Gibson's injection and rubbed it with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub. They are both in the fridge waiting to be smoked tomorrow. I can't wait! I will post my first pron tomorrow.

colonel00
09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
You are 20* hotter on the upper grate?

morgaj1
09-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I am. After researching, it seems that that is not uncommon. Am I wrong?

CharredPiggies
09-24-2011, 09:09 PM
I am. After researching, it seems that that is not uncommon. Am I wrong?

Depends. Where exactly are the probes?

Pappy
09-24-2011, 09:13 PM
You are 20* hotter on the upper grate?
I thought that sounded odd when I read that too.

tmehlhorn
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Not unusual at all, depending on your setup. Espcially if you are using a diffuser(heat sink of some kind. Simply heat rises, if using something solid in middle heat rises up the sides and collects at the top, radiates its way down through the rest of the grill. Or one of your thermos if off?