PDA

View Full Version : Smokin Okie's Video Series with local paper (Brisket, Burnt Ends, Ribs and Moinks)

SmokinOkie
09-23-2011, 10:42 AM
The Food Editior of the local Oklahoma City paper invited me to demo at a local event with two chefs.

Here are the videos. The event is called Open Flame and they bring in local chefs and others to teach.

Go easy on me, my first videos.

They average almost 10 min each.

I couldn't figure out how to embed Flash Videos directly into this post.

Had lots of fun doing it.

Brisket (http://www.newsok.com/open-flame-brisket/multimedia/video/1082817518001)

MOINKS (http://www.newsok.com/open-flame-moinks/multimedia/video/1082618868001)

Spare Ribs (trimming to St. Louis) (http://www.newsok.com/open-flame-spare-ribs-st-louis-cut/multimedia/video/1082570596001)

Baby Backs (http://www.newsok.com/open-flame-baby-back-ribs/multimedia/video/1082245555001)

Enjoy!

T-Man
09-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Good job on the videos ! Thanks for sharing ...

Goldflinger
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
I am going to watch them right now! Thanks

Goldflinger
09-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Nice Job Russ, those were good. Man, That really is a knife!! Looks like something that came out of the Pirates of the Caribean:becky: I like the way your trimmed out the fat between the point and the flat. I think I will try that tonight when I put my first smoked brisket on tomorrow morning. Good tip about squaring the corner so you know which way to slice when done. Was that Worchesterchire sauce you used as binding agent to help your rub stick? I did not catch the name of the Brisket injection? Did you make it, or buy it locally here in OKC?

Nice explanation on the St. Louis rib cutting video. Do I understand correctly in that when you make the long cut, you are just past the longest Rib, (along that fat line) you are not cutting thru any bones? Appreciate you posting that and taking the time to answer a question or two.

keale
09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Nice Job! Thanks for sharing. Very good quality...now only if I could find brisket over here! :rolleyes:

DirtyDirty00
09-23-2011, 02:18 PM
great videos! still in the middle of watchign them. never tried moinks. but guess what? it just went on the menu for tomorrow! thanks!

SmokinOkie
09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Glad you all enjoyed them, happy to share. I'm no good with sharing my own videos. And they shot these with a Digitial SLR on video mode, a Canon D7

Nice Job Russ, those were good. Man, That really is a knife!! ...

It's a 12" scimitar. I have arthritis and it works great for trimming ribs. Good leverage and I keep it crazy sharper

Was that Worchesterchire sauce you used as binding agent to help your rub stick?

Not for a binder, but for flavor. I like W sauce on beef. You really don't need a binder, just put it on let it sit a few minutes and if there is any salt in the rub it will raise the moisture and bind just fine.

I did not catch the name of the Brisket injection? Did you make it, or buy it locally here in OKC?

It's Dave, Butcher BBQ. Ask him online, don't know if he's selling here in OKC anywhere.

Do I understand correctly in that when you make the long cut, you are just past the longest Rib, (along that fat line) you are not cutting thru any bones? Correct. About the 3rd rib in it will be the longest. you can also cut it from the front, look for the line of fat. It's not exactly the same cut spot, but it's a little easier to see visually.

Anyone have questions from the videos, don't hesitate to ask. I was just talking away, no script so hope I answered the basics.

Goldflinger
09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your responses Russ, have a good weekend!

Mr. Bo
09-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Great videos from home. Sure didn't take the fly long to check out the moinks as you were putting them on the smoker. He got out of the heat fast!

SmokinOkie
09-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Funny, that smoker was for "viewing" only. I smoked them on an FEC100.

smokainmuskoka
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Good videos - useful info, well presented. I found the tip about pushing the baby back rack inward rather than letting it stretch was particularly useful.

SmokinOkie
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Good videos - useful info, well presented. I found the tip about pushing the baby back rack inward rather than letting it stretch was particularly useful.

You did great to pick out that little item!

I learned the tip years ago when grilling chicken. Set the item how you want it to look on the grill, because as it cooks it will retain that shape.

lazy butt
09-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Great videos, you gave great tips. Is there going to be a pulled pork video soon? Thanks for sharing

SmokinOkie
09-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Great videos, you gave great tips. Is there going to be a pulled pork video soon? Thanks for sharing

Not from me. This was an evening event where I taught a larger group of people at the invite of the Food Editor for the local paper. No more events planned.

I'll post it if I can come up with one.

kcmike
09-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Those vids were GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

JasonBB
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM
awsome vids man thx for sharing!!:clap2: