PDA

View Full Version : Let Meat Come To Room Temp Before Smoke?

CharredPiggies
09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
What types of meat- if any- do you let come up to room temp before cooking? I always do it when grilling steaks, but how about low temp smokes?

**I hope it goes without saying chicken doesn't apply to this question**

el_matt
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I generally pull any meat out of the fridge once the coals are in my cooker of choice. Once it's up to temp, the meat goes on. I do this, just to knock the chill off.

Matt

Hozman
09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I generally pull any meat out of the fridge once the coals are in my cooker of choice. Once it's up to temp, the meat goes on. I do this, just to knock the chill off.

Matt

I do the same

PimpSmoke
09-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Fridge or cooler, rub, fire.

EricF
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I have found going from the refrigerator to the smoker IMO enables a better smoke ring to form. However with poultry I like to sit it out for about fifteen to twenty minutes before hitting the grate. Also when I grill I prefer to let the meat come up close to room temp prior to cooking.

superdan
09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
I go straight from fridge to pit. In my opinion the cooler it is, the longer it has to cook, the more smoke it gets. I have even considered putting steak in the freezer for a bit first to get more smoke on fast cooks. I think I saw that on PBS once and need to try it.

DirtyDirty00
09-22-2011, 11:33 AM
I dont let me meat come to room temp.

In the morning I get my smoker ready and start a fire.

Then I go in and prep my food and leave it on the counter while I go back out and get the smoker all ready. So the meat prolly ends up sitting 15-30 min before goin on.

stephan
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I do the same as Dirty I start my fire take my food out of the fridge by the time I put the food on its been about 30-45 min

hmbrewr
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Lets not forget the critical temps for bacteria to form is higher than 40 and less than 140 degrees F. You don't want to poison someone by having meat at room temp, especially chicken.

Forrestbro
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
So do I. I light my chimney and then take the meat from the fridge. The smoker is usually ready in about 45 mins.

Mister Bob
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I usually rub and cover the meat and put back in the refrigerator until I'm ready to cook. If it's ribs or chicken, only long enough to get the pit fired up. On the bigger cuts (briskets, butts, chuck roasts, etc.) it's in the fridge for several hours or overnight, but either way it's right out of the refrigerator and into the pit.

Smoked
09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Fridge to the grill/smoker for me. Gives it more time to develop that smoke ring...:thumb:

CharredPiggies
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Lets not forget the critical temps for bacteria to form is higher than 40 and less than 140 degrees F. You don't want to poison someone by having meat at room temp, especially chicken.

I stated chicken doesn't apply. And I regularly consume beef, fish and pork under 140*

That "hot zone" is for storage, not temporary situations

**USDA says pork is good at 145*... I do 135* on loins with no ill effects

Cook
09-22-2011, 12:34 PM

LOL

And...let's not forget that when you reach those "critical temperatures" (which is not 40-140, by the way) you have four hours to consume or get the food out of that danger zone. In the case of chicken, it's gonna be cooked and in my belly before the end of that four hours! LOL

CharredPiggies
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
... you have four hours to consume or get the food out of that danger zone. In the case of chicken, it's gonna be cooked and in my belly before the end of that four hours! LOL

Right on, Cook. I'm not worried as much about the food-born creepies as much as whether or not it makes a positive or negative difference in the end results.

Interesting thought that it takes longer to cook when cold...
longer cook time = moister, more tender???

Pappy
09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm surprised at some of the answers. I've always heard that you needed to let the meat be room temp before it hits the heat or it would be tuff or something like that.

K-Barbecue
09-22-2011, 01:38 PM
For all meats that will be smoking for more than three hours I put on right out of the refrigerator. However and especially for chicken that will be cooking for a much shorter time I let warm up for about an hour.

Kenny Rogers
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Personally I prefer to hot tub my steaks before throwing them on the grill.
Primarily because I cook the steaks HOT and FAST, so by hot tubbing them I bring up the IT so I can sear the crap on the outside without undercooking the inside.

BUT that's the only cut of meat I do that with. Approx a 1.5" - 2" thick piece of steak.

Brisket or any other large cut, I put on the grill cold, and it does develop a better smoke ring that way, and well brisket always turns out tender anyways, when cooked right.

hamiltont
09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
For meat that's going on the smoker I'll go straight form the fridge to the smoker. For steaks on the grill, I thaw out ma's steak in the fridge a day or two before & when it's time to grill I'll take mine out of the freezer. Her's is MW and mine is rare but both have a great char. Cheers!!!

Kenny Rogers
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
but then again, I usually sear mine around 1100F

CarolinaQue
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
What is hot tubbing???

Jason TQ
09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I think "let it come to room temp" is more of a figure of speech for "warm up a little". Because if someone let a butt or brisket sit out long enough to actually come to room temperature (maybe like 70ish) range would take 3-4 or more hours and can't imagine that is safe. I normally go straight from fridge to smoker. Started out letting the meat sit for 30mins to an hour and can't tell a difference. Also did a test once and let the butt sit out for an hour and it only rose about 3 degrees. Don't see how that could help.

Kenny Rogers
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
What is hot tubbing???

Putting your steaks in a zip lock or foodsaver bag and dropping them in a sink of hot tap water until they come up to around 90-100 degrees. Throw 'em on a SUPER hot grill and sear for 2-3 minutes each side.

ColretBBQer
09-22-2011, 03:37 PM
For smoking pork shoulder and brisket I usually go from frig to smoker. I havn't found a huge difference in the result, however, for ribs I like to let them sit a room temp for about 20 minutes before putting on because it lets control the smoke level more.:-D

captndan
09-23-2011, 06:50 AM
Would you throw cold meat on a cold grill? NO Would you throw not so cold meat on a hot grill? YES The 45 minute thing is a good rule of thumb.

Cook
09-23-2011, 08:03 AM
For me it goes from refrigeration to the pit usually taking only long enough to season.

We're talking bbq here...not steaks or anything else to do with grilling.

It does not matter how you do it, and as you can see everyone has a different answer. That in itself should tell you it doesn't matter.

12guns
09-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I'll say for most "smoking" meats, room temp vs. cold won't make that big of a difference unless you're looking for more smoke before done.
Steaks on the other hand it makes all the difference.
Most steaks are best cooked over a hot fire, so if you put a cold steak on such high heat, you will end up w/ a pink middle but burned outside. By bringing a good thick steak to room temp first, you'll have beautiful pink throughout. Been there tried both ways w/ same cuts and I still have people ask how I get the pretty pink all the way through! Simple as that.