PDA

View Full Version : Ribs on the mini

tmehlhorn
09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Lovin my new mini. Last night i did some sterling silver ribs cut st louis style, and chicken, didnt get a pick of the chicken though.
The Ribs i Put some Fat boys all purpose on and smoked with royal oak and some cherry wood for almost 5 hours, the things stayed right about 275 the entire time. Gave a light coating of Curleys about 20 min before pulling them. this pic is when i was ready to pull them off. They were really tender, and you had to give just a nice firm bit to separate from the bone.:thumb:

Smokey Al Gold
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Looks awesome! My mini is almost finished I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully. I'm planning doing ribs too on mine for its first cook. Are you using a SJS or gold by the way?

cowgirl
09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Great looking ribs!!

tmehlhorn
09-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Looks awesome! My mini is almost finished I'll post some pics tomorrow hopefully. I'm planning doing ribs too on mine for its first cook. Are you using a SJS or gold by the way?

I am using the sjs, wish i had the gold but this works just fine, made some changes to mine to get my temps up for this cook, if you have problems getting your temps up let me know i had to fix that with mine.

mbshop
09-22-2011, 03:43 PM
i get all excited when i see pics like that ! i'm still out on the sjs vs sjg thing. no problems with the sjs with the can mod. but i had a problem getting the temp up when i used my sjg. but it was a windy day so i'll check again on a less windy day.

tmehlhorn
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
i get all excited when i see pics like that ! i'm still out on the sjs vs sjg thing. no problems with the sjs with the can mod. but i had a problem getting the temp up when i used my sjg. but it was a windy day so i'll check again on a less windy day.

With the silver my problem with temps was with airfow, once i made a charcoal basket and then eliminated the steamer plate it worked flawlessly. temps stayed between 275-300 easy. Doing a chicken i just filled it with all lit lump and it took awhile and it peaked out at 325 and stayed there.