PDA

View Full Version : Japanese style grilled mussels.

GARNAAL
09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
here a recipe I piced up from the web somewhere..

makes a nice snack when you're having cocktails.. I stick them on the BBQ... while sittng outside with a sip!
(the original recipe calls for putting them on a baking dish under the broiler..)

https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pCykPANDrKXJABDWuHvZGsnqMgpkFxd1Hf-yvuIxvZ48geQpGs59nou7TG1S2pq0z6zBg2akd_Wc/HPIM0931_640x480.JPG?psid=1

Japanese Style Grilled Mussels the dressing recipe is for about a dozen Mussels.. make more if you do a whole 2 lbs box of Greenlipped mussels..:-D

Dressing:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
1/2 tsp lemon zest, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 1/2 tsp wasabi prepared
2 tsp white sugar
1 whole green onion, sliced fine
3/4 c mayonnaise
1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 or 2 finely chopped green onions

Toppings:
Panko, and optionally Tobiko

Tobiko is flying fish roe, found in Asian markets.
Ingredients are for about a dozen New Zealand Greenlipped, or two dozen Black Mussels.
If using fresh: quickly saute in a hot pan with a touch of oil until they pop open. Remove from pan.
Pull meat from mussels, slice into three pieces and place back into mussel half.
( I just pull the mussles and don't bother to cut them in pieces..)
Arrange in a large baking pan, broiler safe.

For dressing combine all ingredients.
Place about a tablespoon of dressing over mussel half. Sprinkle with a little Panko.

Broil or grill on the hot BBQ until bubbly and lightly browned.
Remove from baking pan and top with green onion and optionally with some Tobiko.

Leopardstripes
09-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh, WOW- thank you so much! Those look great! My oldest boy loves mussels from the Chinese buffet, but this sounds even tastier. Question, though- do you skip the panko? Or were the little guys in the photo just off of the smoke?

PimpSmoke
09-21-2011, 05:54 PM
I've had the mussels broiled on the half shell with butter and some kind of melted cheese in a few Chinese restaurants and they were good. Always wanted to make them, but didn't know what kind of cheese to use.

Yours look outstanding though!

cowgirl
09-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Looks so good Garnaal... Thank you for sharing your recipe! I hope to try it soon.

jgbmgb
09-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Love some mussels!! Especially steamed and tossed with some marinara over pasta! Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

GARNAAL
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Oh, WOW- thank you so much! Those look great! My oldest boy loves mussels from the Chinese buffet, but this sounds even tastier. Question, though- do you skip the panko? Or were the little guys in the photo just off of the smoke?

no I did not skip the panko.. it kind of settles in, when the dressing starts bubbling..

GARNAAL
09-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I've had the mussels broiled on the half shell with butter and some kind of melted cheese in a few Chinese restaurants and they were good. Always wanted to make them, but didn't know what kind of cheese to use.

Yours look outstanding though!

I don't think they use Cheese - it's a mayo based sauce they put on the mussels - after baking them, the consistency feels like it's a melted cheese..