PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer Probes and UDS

Team DD
09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I know I have seen threads on here with ideas on the pit probe and meat probe on a UDS. I can't seem to find them though. I was thinking it was a nut or something like that with silicone inside it?? Just got a Maverick ET-732 and was wanting to try it out, just didn't want the lid from the UDS sitting on the cables.

I will take all ideas or comments.

Thanks,
Doug

gtr
09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
I can't remember the part # right now, but it's a watertight conduit connector you can find at HD with the conduit stuff. I have one on mine and I like it. In all reality, you can pretty much get away with just drilling a little hole in the side and using that. I did that for a little while (while I was looking for the farking misplaced conduit connector :rolleyes:) and it worked fine.

lookwow
09-21-2011, 12:56 PM
I just drilled a small hole in mine and ive never had an issue with temp control so dont know how fancy you need to get.

Pappy
09-21-2011, 01:20 PM
This thread talks about it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110275

Team DD
09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks, may have to head to HD during lunch and see if I can find one.

Doug

Pappy
09-21-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't use the rubber insert. A little smoke escapes. I don't think it's a big deal. IMO if smoke is coming out of the hole, air is not going in. It doesn't work both ways. During shut down it's not enough air to let the fire keep burning.

42BBQ
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
A 1/4 inch hole near the top accommodates both probe wires easily. I also use a maverick dual probe setup.

Team DD
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, made it to Home Depot during lunch and picked up one of the watertight conduit nuts. I will put that on tonight or tomorrow and get ready to cook on Friday.

Killed a deer last night, so this will be my first attempt with bbq and venison.

HawgNationBBQ
09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I drilled a 1/4 inch hole on the side. Never a problem.

rolfejr
09-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Guru grommets with stainless fender washers as trim. Perfect!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-65XAAUg1vFQ/TindMQ85ZdI/AAAAAAAABfc/-yCm2E18CjI/s512/IMG_1623.JPG

Guamaque
09-22-2011, 11:22 PM
Here you go. The pics are of threaded pipes with the connector and washers outside the UDS. My temp and Guru probes go into those conduit pipes. Plenty of temp probes on this beast. :laugh:

smokeyw
09-23-2011, 07:08 AM
I did the same thing. I never had any issues at all from the little bit of air from this hole. No need to get fancy here.

I just drilled a small hole in mine and ive never had an issue with temp control so dont know how fancy you need to get.

jerneedog
09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Well, made it to Home Depot during lunch and picked up one of the watertight conduit nuts. I will put that on tonight or tomorrow and get ready to cook on Friday.

Killed a deer last night, so this will be my first attempt with bbq and venison.

I bought one of those type connectors from Lowe's, but ended up not using it, as I found a more decorative piece, in my Father's garage, to use instead. I had to drill a 1/2" hole for the piece I used. Looks sort of factory like.

Did you remember to pick up a nut for it? I totally forgot when I bought mine. May use it whenever I get around to building a UDS.

Carbon
09-23-2011, 12:26 PM
That UDS with wires and gauges looks like it's ready to detonate....:-P

woodbutcher1
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
That UDS with wires and gauges looks like it's ready to detonate....:-P

I was wondering the same thing. How many more gauges besides the 6 i see are on this drum.? :shocked:

Guamaque
09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
I was wondering the same thing. How many more gauges besides the 6 i see are on this drum.? :shocked:

:laugh::laugh: I know, its going to explode. Before you conclude you need that many thermometers, you don't obviously :crazy: I had them all left over from a previous project. So I just put them all on for fun basically. I always get crazy comments about this UDS. The conduit system is pretty good though. Its a parallel steel pipe 3/8, so the heat can not escape back out the hole if it is parallel to the heat source. The pipe is 8 inches long, so it protects the probe wires inside and allows for just the probe tip to be exposed.