PDA

View Full Version : Jack 7 pieces

Brew-B-Q
09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Got my packet today and it says I need to turn in 7 pieces for each category. Are there 7 judges, or is this just a Old #7 thing? I ask because I'm going to have a heck of a time getting 7 pieces of dark meat chicken and 7 pieces of white meat chicken in a box unless I make some big changes. 6 of each is ok, but a 7th thigh presents problems. Do I need to have 7 of everything or is that just a rule and the normal 6 judges will apply?

Thanks

Balls Casten
09-19-2011, 08:25 PM
just use the 6 you normally use and cut everything in half. ?????

moocow
09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
You only need one peice of white meat in the box and the boxes they use are about 1.5" larger than the regular clam shell.

Smokedelic
09-19-2011, 10:30 PM
You need to turn in at least 7 pieces in each category. In chicken you have to turn in at least 7 pieces and white meat must be included in the box. You don't necessarily have to turn in 7 pieces of dark and 7 pieces of white, but I'd hate to upset a judge who wanted one or the other and didn't get it because there wasn't enough of both in the box for each judge.

...but that's just me.

HoDeDo
09-19-2011, 10:36 PM
IT is 7 pieces. For chicken it is 7 total pieces. I'd cut my normal dark meat pieces in 1/2, so there is room for white meat too :)

ALX
09-20-2011, 01:21 AM
IT is 7 pieces. For chicken it is 7 total pieces. I'd cut my normal dark meat pieces in 1/2, so there is room for white meat too :)

Yep....Chicken only category this will make a difference from normal deal...

many ways play it....:thumb:....hopin we do better in sauce categorie this year..}:

Smokin' Joe
09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Still only six judges. Like someone mentioned above the boxes are bigger as well. Last year I did my normal 6 thighs and sliced up a breast into 6 peices and put it in. going to mix it up this year a bit, but will still have 6 thighs and 6 sample of white meat

Podge
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Got my packet today and it says I need to turn in 7 pieces for each category. Are there 7 judges, or is this just a Old #7 thing? I ask because I'm going to have a heck of a time getting 7 pieces of dark meat chicken and 7 pieces of white meat chicken in a box unless I make some big changes. 6 of each is ok, but a 7th thigh presents problems. Do I need to have 7 of everything or is that just a rule and the normal 6 judges will apply?

Thanks

I put in 9 thighs and white meat in there. You got to find some small thighs. 7 pieces instead of 6 just adds a bit more difficulty to a World Championship.

Scottie
09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Small thighs like Podge said. He did win chicken at the Jack in 2007... Just sayin'... I never even considered the white as the 7th piece. Why take a shot of losing a point, because a judge wanted to push the cooks into trying to get 7 pieces on a box. And they reward accordingly...

Brew-B-Q
09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone. My goal is to offer the same amount of pieces of dark and white so each judge can sample both, just wanted to know if that meant I had to have a total of 12 or 14 pieces.

Smokin' Joe
09-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Why take a shot of losing a point, because a judge wanted to push the cooks into trying to get 7 pieces on a box. And they reward accordingly...

this issue never crossed my mind, interesting

Scottie
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
this issue never crossed my mind, interesting

Crap, I'm giving away all my secrets...:becky:

Good luck Joe.