PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable grate in a UDS

Mcook
09-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Anyone know of a way to build an UDS with an adjustable grate that raises and lowers?

---k---
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
I haven't done it, but if you were to put threaded rod up the sides of the barrel that the grate could slide down over, you could then use the nuts as a stopper. just move the nuts up and down to where you want the grate. That is the first idea that came to my mind.

Pappy
09-19-2011, 08:14 PM
You could use chain to hang the grate off of hooks. Just decide which link to use.

Mcook
09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Good ideas. I was hoping to be able to make the adjustment while the food was cooking. So I probably won't have access to put my hands inside the drum. Some type of crank mechanism is what I had in my mind, just can't figure out how to do it.

woodbutcher1
09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Good ideas. I was hoping to be able to make the adjustment while the food was cooking. So I probably won't have access to put my hands inside the drum. Some type of crank mechanism is what I had in my mind, just can't figure out how to do it.

The need to lower or raise the grate while the meat is cooking is why ???????

colonel00
09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I believe it is SmokerKing that uses shelving posts like you would get from lowes for a closet. You have to burn the paint off but then you just mount three of them in the barrel and you can adjust the racks to any height you want.

Carbon
09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Not immediate but I think it's easier to just raise or lower the temperature instead, if that's the effect you're after.

nthole
09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Grab a pair of welder gloves and put handles on the rack. You'll be able to reach in and grab it. I'd go with a couple preset grill levels that you can move the rack up and down to. If you truly wanted it without the bolts I suppose you could drill out a variety of holes and cover with magnets or plugs, then pull them and slide in a bolt and move the grate to that spot. Seems excessive though.

Blackened
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
a Santa Maria style UDS!

NorthwestBBQ
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Blasphemy! Any design that differs from the toothless hillbilly way will be crucified here.

SmokerKing
09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
I believe it is SmokerKing that uses shelving posts like you would get from lowes for a closet. You have to burn the paint off but then you just mount three of them in the barrel and you can adjust the racks to any height you want.

:thumb:

Yes, I buidt my BUFORD UDS using closet, single tracks with brackets. This picture isn't the best, but they work great!

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6607/diffuserrev2.jpg