PDA

View Full Version : Up and at 'em!

Bigmista
05-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Got a late start because I was up late taking a database test (I got a 91). Brisket is trimmed, Butts are out of the brine and the chiles and cumin are toasting for the rub. Fatties are thawed and coals are turning gray!

Into the fray!!!

Bigmista
05-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Ahhhh....

Nothing quite like the site of a full smoker!!

Bigmista
05-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Brisket is at 150, Butts are at 158. Neighbors are happy with fatty slices and I'm eating a smoothie that was just a bit too thick. Hmmmm...Blueberry Sorbet? Works for me!

Bigmista
05-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Go figure. Butts hit almost 200. Brisket barely past 165. Just threw some salmon in for dinner.

Hoorenga
05-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Bigmista don't need nobody to carry on a conversation. He's a one man thread. Somebody jump in here and converse with the man before he hurts himself. I'm just jealous not to be smoking today. The poor Brinkman looked sad with it's rain cover pulled down tight. Soon my darling, soon.

jgh1204
05-07-2005, 10:29 PM
results or are they gone?

Bigmista
05-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Here's a picture of the pork and the brisket. The point didn't get packed. It...umm...fell on the floor. Yeah that's it! The floor. I guess I'll have to keep it. What do you think?

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Sweet! I hope mine looks that was in 8-9 hours!

Solidkick
05-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Sweet! I hope mine looks that was in 8-9 hours!

Probably closer to 12-14 hours.

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2005, 08:47 AM
I am just cooking a 6-7 lb. flat and a 5 1/2 lb. butt.

Solidkick
05-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I did two 7 lb butts this weekend and they went almost 13 hours @ 225*.....I was hoping 10 hours.....but they're done when they are done........hung almost 4 hours in the 160*-170* range.

Nice looking point there Mista.....my favorite part of the brisket......

Jeff_in_KC
05-08-2005, 09:41 AM
I am still battling pit temp control... my cooks are still a series of drops, "oh sh#ts" and "Good, God, close that intake damper a bits"! Seems I'm often around 230 to 250* so maybe mine are done a bit faster because of that. Actually, I think 8 hours would be a stretch. 9 to 9 1/2 is probably more like it.

Ron_L
05-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Mista! Those pictures look great! I wonder if they'll have brisket omelettes at the Mother's Day brunch we're going to...

Doubt it...

The_Kapn
05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Niel,
I can count on one thing in this life---once a week you are gonna make me drool :lol:
Great Job!
TIM

Bigmista
05-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Just delivered the food. Spent $55 and made $120,. Not too bad on the profit margin, huh?

icemn62
05-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Great job Mista. Congrats on the sucessful catering gig.

frognot
05-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Fine looking feast there, especially that pulled pork! Thanks for sharing.

Bigmista
05-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Thanx! I'll find out if they liked it tomorrow.

Neil
05-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Great job Neil. If it tasted half as good as it looked it they probably loved it. Now I have to plan on a brisket for next weekend after seeing those pics.

tommykendall
05-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Neil -good job on the brisket. Looks pretty moist.

chad
05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Just delivered the food. Spent $55 and made $120,. Not too bad on the profit margin, huh?

Sounds like you had fun! :D

Now, did you count the cost of seasoning and the foil pans? How about charcoal? :D

Take the number of hours you spent prepping, cooking, finishing, and delivering -- divide that into the "profit" and see how you did. Don't forget cleanup time. :D

Bet you won't want to quit your day job!! :mrgreen:

You did great. I'm betting the folks really enjoyed their feast.

I cleared about $200 on the gig I had on Saturday. I actually "made" more but had to invest in some extra coolers, charcoal basket, etc.

That reminds me: I need to go to the bank and deposit the last of the cash I received!

Bigmista
05-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow!

Hadn't considered the time factor. I think Imade about 50 cents an hour. Good thing I enjoyed what I was doing, huh?

chad
05-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Wow!

Hadn't considered the time factor. I think Imade about 50 cents an hour. Good thing I enjoyed what I was doing, huh?

Abso-freaking-lutely! :D

I don't really factor my time into my fees. I'm just trying to make a few $$ to feed my competition habit and pay for the cooker.

That's one reason I really enjoyed catering at the church - they paid the costs and I provided the labor and used their commercial kitchen. They got good food at reasonable costs and I got to stay in practice for cooking for 100-400 people! :D

With finances being what they are at the church now I'm bidding on the catering job for 4th of July - I can make a little profit (gotta pay for the cooker somehow :D) and still provide good food at a reasonable per-head price!

When doing "free lance" like I did this weekend I have to factor EVERYTHING into the costs - I knew I'd be buying some equipment so I knew my "profit" was going to be hit. But, now I've got 2-120qt, 2-70qt, and a new small cooler to round out my collection. We use these for competition too so they don't sit around unused too long.

Congrats again - I'm sure you'll be called upon again! :mrgreen:

Bigmista
05-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I wish I had space for a big cooker and coolers and all of that stuff. Being in an apartment really limits your options. But I will find a way to make do.

Maybe I will find somebody that wants to buy my sauce recipe...

Bill-Chicago
05-09-2005, 01:54 PM
With finances being what they are at the church now I'm bidding on the catering job for 4th of July - I can make a little profit (gotta pay for the cooker somehow ) and still provide good food at a reasonable per-head price!

When doing "free lance" like I did this weekend I have to factor EVERYTHING into the costs

If your pricing down for the church, you can take the difference between what you would normally charge, versus the discounted church price, as a tax deduction.

Heck, if your shaving off a dollar a head on 400 people, thats something I wouldnt hesitate to plop down on next years return.

chad
05-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks Bill, I hadn't thought of that angle - I do discount to churches and non-profits! But then, I don't have to collect the governor's 7% either!! :D

chad
05-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I wish I had space for a big cooker and coolers and all of that stuff. Being in an apartment really limits your options. But I will find a way to make do.

Maybe I will find somebody that wants to buy my sauce recipe...

I've got a seperate shed just for cooking stuff and the kooker is next to the front driveway!! Thankfully, I don't get grief about it being there, yet.

Check out www.jazzfoods.com.

I knew about the lady and her company before they were featured on FoodTV but she now has a book out of how to start up your own food business. The things I've read about her and the book have been favorable. It focuses on how to get your favorite or family recipe ready for mass-production and sale to the public. The book isn't cheap but it is supposed to be really compehensive.

Bigdog
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
Neil, that is some of the best looking Q that I have ever seen. A simple formula for charging to cook is take your cost of meat and multiply by 3.

Bigmista
05-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I always get such great advice here! Thanks Guys!