PDA

View Full Version : As seen on Raichlen's Barbecue University

deguerre
09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
OK, I was watching his show this morning and he lit a chimney of wood chunks instead of briquettes or lump for his fire, letting them get to the orange glowing stage before putting in the kettle. I had a major DUH! experience. When he placed the chunks in the kettle he added some additional wood for smoke. Anybody else try this? It seems like it's making your kettle a stick burner. He did mention that it burned out faster than charcoal but for a fast cook...

Anybody done this? If so, what were your results? I know I'm trying it.

cholloway
09-17-2011, 01:09 PM
The thought had crossed my mind before but, I never followed up on it.
Since I got 3 bags of mesquite chunks on sale this morning, I'll give it a try too.

deguerre
09-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Funny, I bought a bag of hickory chunks yesterday on a whim and now I know why.:-D

cousinconley
09-17-2011, 01:13 PM
OK, I was watching his show this morning and he lit a chimney of wood chunks instead of briquettes or lump for his fire, letting them get to the orange glowing stage before putting in the kettle. I had a major DUH! experience. When he placed the chunks in the kettle he added some additional wood for smoke. Anybody else try this? It seems like it's making your kettle a stick burner. He did mention that it burned out faster than charcoal but for a fast cook...

Anybody done this? If so, what were your results? I know I'm trying it.

Only for seasoning a smoker. I have thought about it but in my mind too expensive for an occasional cook. Then again, I am cheap.

JONESY
09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I've done it before on my kettle for steaks, its absolutely awesome for high heat cooks. I use the big bags of mesquite by char-broil that home depot sells for about $6, I think their about 13 or 15 lbs, so not a terrible price.

Zin
09-17-2011, 03:05 PM
All you have to do is stack the fist size chunks like you would charcoal, lite the wood chunks and once all chunks catch fire and turn black you are good to go, I have been doing this for years, i personally cannot believe the prices people pay for lump charcoal when all you have to do is use wood chunks. Like i said just wait till all chunks lite on fire and turn black and you are good to go. You do not have to wait for the wood chunks to ash all over, no chemicals that need to burn off like using lump or briquettes. Good luck to all who try.

cousinconley
09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
All you have to do is stack the fist size chunks like you would charcoal, lite the wood chunks and once all chunks catch fire and turn black you are good to go, I have been doing this for years, i personally cannot believe the prices people pay for lump charcoal when all you have to do is use wood chunks. Like i said just wait till all chunks lite on fire and turn black and you are good to go. You do not have to wait for the wood chunks to ash all over, no chemicals that need to burn off like using lump or briquettes. Good luck to all who try.

I will have to try it.

caseydog
09-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I've done it before on my kettle for steaks, its absolutely awesome for high heat cooks. I use the big bags of mesquite by char-broil that home depot sells for about $6, I think their about 13 or 15 lbs, so not a terrible price.

Same here. I did it one time. Afterwords, I did a cost-benefit analysis, and didn't do it again. It would be different if I lived in the country, surrounded by hardwood trees. Wood chunks in the burbs ain't cheap.

If Raichlen did it, I know I don't want to do it. He drives me nuts. I bet he uses a new cooking grate on every single cook.

CD

chicagokp
09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I did it once on the kettle. Had to use a hot pad to hold the plastic handle. Damn it was HOT, HOT, HOT. But, 4-5 min and food was off and I shut her down. My therm was reading dashes so I have no idea on the grate temp. The one benefit I found later was that my grate was super clean. All the crap that had built up on the bottom that my grill brush didn't take off was burned off quite nicely.

el_matt
09-17-2011, 04:48 PM
I've got to give this a try. I've put chunks in the chimney with charcoal, but never by themselves.

Matt

Turky1
09-17-2011, 04:50 PM
So what is the relative cost/lb of wood chunks vs. lump charcoal? If wood chunks are cheaper I'd definitely go this route. Off the top of my head I'd think it would be $1-$2/lb either way.

T

HossBluto
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Those lamb chops he was cooking looked freakin' awesome. :thumb:

PimpSmoke
09-17-2011, 07:01 PM
I've done it with oak chunks and later added fruit wood. It burns hot and if ash is an issue for you, it's a VERY good idea.

Put a couple of chunks of lump on the bottom of the chimney and it starts fine.

Guamaque
09-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I do this all the time with regular wood chunks that I cut. It would be expensive if you were using high end mesquite chunks.

cholloway
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm back from this afternoon's cook And I must say I'm impressed.
Started with about 1/2 - 3/4 chimney of Frontier mesquite chunks and lit them with my weed burner. Both vents on the 22" OTS were WFO.
The chunks were in 2 char-basket fuel holders when i put the heat to 'em.
When they were burning good I put the lid of the OTS on and the temp ran right up to 450* and held there.
I closed the bottom vent to about 1/8" and waited for the temp to come down to about 325.
First to go on were 5 Johnsonville brats in the middle of the grate with fuel holders on each side.
The temp lowered even further to 250* and held there.
About 30 minutes later I put supper on ( a healthy pork steak) about 3/4 inch thick.
Seared the pork on both sides then moved it to the middle of the grate with the brats to cook.
At this time the mesquite was burning down so I added 2 chuncks of lump to each holder. The temp soon raised to 275*.
The meat sat there and cooked for another 45 minutes while more beverages were consumed.

Long story short... It was a good cook, the brats & pork steak turned out great, but, the chunks of mesquite didn't last very long.
If I ever want to get rid of some wood chunks quickly, I'll do it again.

SmokinAussie
09-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Doing a Duck on the performer this evening. I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Cook
09-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I've only seen Steven Raichlen a few times on tv. Not once have I seen him cook barbecue on Barbecue University. ???

He's probably a decent chef.

Pappy
09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
It would be different if I lived in the country, surrounded by hardwood trees. Wood chunks in the burbs ain't cheap.

I picked up a pick-up truck load of hickory this last spring for $50. I had to drive an hour 1 way to get it. I was worth it. It will last for years. I haven't even made a dent in the stack..........Pappy

I bet he uses a new cooking grate on every single cook.

I was thinking the same thing. I think he uses a new grill too......Pappy

deguerre
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I think he uses a new grill too......Pappy

Well, he is sponsored by Weber. Every show probably has a brand new cooker. Gotta look nice and shiny for the sponsors!

Cabin Fever
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
If Raichlen did it, I know I don't want to do it. He drives me nuts. I bet he uses a new cooking grate on every single cook.

I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I can't stand that guy. Snobby and BBQ just don't mix as far as I'm concerned.

Dave Russell
09-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I've cooked over wood chunks a few times and they burn real hot, but not surprisingly they also burn down quicker than lump so you want a couple of chimneys worth for a decent spread of coals in a kettle. The deal-breaker for me though is the cost over lump, especially the 40lb. bags of Best of the West mesquite I've gotten from Sam's this year. However, if a hot sear is your thing, it's certainly a way to do it. Mesquite is known for it's heat but oak coals last longer.

rookiedad
09-19-2011, 07:21 PM
it's a mini burn down barrel. anyone trying it please post if there is a difference in taste from charcoal and chunks, especially on pork.