PDA

View Full Version : Decided to Splurge on a Thermapen

Fiddy/Fiddy
09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
My pitmaster ego was so badly injured last weekend by an overdone Roast using the Maverick Probe. Even with correct placement the Maverick Probe gave me a false read on my target temp. I ended up cutting into a roast that could have used another 30-45 minutes. I tried wrapping it with Foil and placing it back on the grill but it was too late and the damage had been done.

The end result was a dried out less than flakey roast. This was the last straw for the old Maverick. I just purchased me a new Thermapen hoping with a promise to "Never eat dried out roast beef again."

Hopefully the new toy will arrive in time for the Thanksgiving Ham. Thanksgiving is in October on our side of the boarder. I hope this little tool lives up to all the reviews I read.

T-Man
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Thermapen is the real deal ... You will not be sorry .

gtr
09-16-2011, 02:51 PM
You made a good move there - you'll be glad you did it!

Fatback Joe
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I hope this little tool lives up to all the reviews I read.

It will as long as you got a black one

J_Don
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM
You can't go wrong with a Thermapen and congrats on your purchase and I certainly hope you ordered a BLUE THERMAPEN as they are definitely the fastest and there are definbitely others that will try to tell you different. With that said I am a little bit confused. You state that you had dried out roast beef and that it could have used another 30-45 minutes. Could you please elaborate on this as I definitely need help understanding as you can see by my avatar. :redface:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-16-2011, 03:37 PM
That dried out roast rationale is brilliant. I bet most non-brethren believe it. :-)

Congratulations!

Moose
09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
They're really not all that great, and can even be dangerous.

I suggest you send it to me for immediate processing! :heh:

But seriously, you won't regret the purchase one iota.

Westexbbq
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Thermopens are a great tool, red ones especially.

Hozman
09-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Everyone knows the charcoal one is best....stop feeding the poor guy with bad info

AZScott
09-16-2011, 06:00 PM
If they haven't shipped it yet order a couple of the oven thermometers and use those as well. They are well worth the money since you can't have your Thermapen in there the whole time.

Fiddy/Fiddy
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I actually went with the red one and the Silcone cover. I have a bad habit of forgetting where I put something down so I had to pick a color that was easy to see.

I looked at the Maverick compeition but it just didn't seem to measure up in most reviews.

BigTony
09-17-2011, 05:00 AM
I have been uing a Thermapen since July,and now I use my older thermometers for clutter.....they are going into long-term storage in the black hole I have been calling "The mini-barn".......
I too like your clever excu...er,uh...reason for purchase....

seattlepitboss
09-17-2011, 07:11 AM
When I'm smoking one or two pieces of meat, I rarely bother with thermometers. I have a couple of stainless kebab skewers from Turkey which I've sharpened sharper on a belt sander, and I just probe the meat testing firmness. When soft, it's done. Works great on brisket, pork shoulder, chuck roasts etc. For ribs, I check pullback and also lift one end of the rack with tongs to check flexibility. When it limply bends in half they're done.

But if you do buy a thermapen the color is *very* important. For sure do not even consider them in red, blue or charcoal - those colors are only bought by inexperienced amateurs. Some people may tell you different.

Fiddy/Fiddy
09-17-2011, 11:53 AM
It was a Sirloin roast that I killed by trying to put it through another round of cooking after a 20 minute rest and cutting into it. Sadly there was no way to save it without a time machine.

The Maverick Probe gave me a false read. It was a $20 buck unit so you can't expect much. I hate to loose a patient like that. I still plan to use the probe but for the next roast but I will also use the new Thermonpen to check the beef from 3-4 points to make sure I have an accurate read.

Jaskew82
09-17-2011, 12:03 PM
hope you got a blazin yellow - they are the fastest!

chad
09-17-2011, 12:11 PM
It's really not a splurge. I've got several old style "Taylor" analogs and plenty of wired and wireless thermometers. I rarely use anything except the RED 'pen. It gets plenty of use grilling and cooking in the kitchen, too.

ozlites
09-17-2011, 02:46 PM
It will as long as you got a black one

He speaks the truth!