PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade

morgaj1
09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
My father-in-law found a drum for me to make a UDS with. It had food-grade hydraulic oil in it and was from a chicken processing plant. Does this sound safe to use to build my UDS?

JMSetzler
09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Shouldn't be a problem.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Did he notice if it had a liner in it and if so what color it was?

morgaj1
09-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Did he notice if it had a liner in it and if so what color it was?

He did not say. He is bringing it to me tomorrow, so I will post pics.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Great. Looking forward to seeing your build. :thumb:

morgaj1
09-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Doing a little research and it seems that food grade hydraulic oil uses mineral oil as its base, which has a flash point of about 300F. I have a plasma cutter, but don't believe I will use it to cut off the lid. I am thinking a 4.5" angle grinder may be safer. Thoughts?

Capozzoli
09-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Dont use a grinder. It will be the same as a torch. Do you know anyone that has a drum de-lider? Its kinda like a big can opener.

If not use a drill chisel and hammer. Or just chisle and hammer. Working your way around you will get it off much more safely.

All oil vapors are volatile.

Pappy
09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I would use it. A good fire will clean it out.

Boshizzle
09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
If it held food grade anything I'd use it and I'm a bit prissy when it comes to using barrels for cookers compared to most brethren around here. Just remove any liner that may be in it and burn it out good. That would be good enough for me. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Boshizzle
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Doing a little research and it seems that food grade hydraulic oil uses mineral oil as its base, which has a flash point of about 300F. I have a plasma cutter, but don't believe I will use it to cut off the lid. I am thinking a 4.5" angle grinder may be safer. Thoughts?

You CANNOT be too safe when cutting into a metal container. So, be careful! Do your homework before diving in.

morgaj1
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
After some more thinking, I am going to try to use my Portaband to cut the lip off. Here is a link to a technique I saw using a grinder. I think I can accomplish is with a Portaband.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?3356-Grinding-the-lid-off-a-closed-head-drum

BigBobBQ
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
That way will work just fine. The only thing to remember is when you do that you remove the rolled lip that gives the drum it structural integrity and the top will be a little flimsy and get bent out of round very easily, it happened to mine when I had to remove the rolled edge for my dome lid to fit.