PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Grill or Lang

morgaj1
09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I am saving for a cooker and have narrowed it to either the Bubba Grill 120 Fat Box or the Lang 36 Patio model. I have decided on a RF horizontal smoker and these seem to be the best in my area. Here are the pros/cons of each as I see it:

Bubba Grill - $1300, Well made, propane log starter, bigger firebox, ability to use as a direct heat charcoal grill, 100 miles closer to me, only 3/16" thick steel, no wheels, no ball valve, not as good looking, rack not as big

Lang - $950, well made, 1/4" thick steel, nice looking cooker, ball valve, large rack, no propane starter, not set up to be used as a direct heat charcoal grill, 100 miles further away than Bubba Grills

What do you guys think? I am only planning to buy this once, so I don't want to cheap out. I also like the Klose and Jambo cookers, but with shipping, they are out of my price range.

Boshizzle
09-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Personally, I'd go with the smoker with the thicker steel.

OutlawSwine
09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
I am saving for a cooker and have narrowed it to either the Bubba Grill 120 Fat Box or the Lang 36 Patio model. I have decided on a RF horizontal smoker and these seem to be the best in my area. Here are the pros/cons of each as I see it:

Bubba Grill - $1300, Well made, propane log starter, bigger firebox, ability to use as a direct heat charcoal grill, 100 miles closer to me, only 3/16" thick steel, no wheels, no ball valve, not as good looking, rack not as big

Lang - $950, well made, 1/4" thick steel, nice looking cooker, ball valve, large rack, no propane starter, not set up to be used as a direct heat charcoal grill, 100 miles further away than Bubba Grills

What do you guys think? I am only planning to buy this once, so I don't want to cheap out. I also like the Klose and Jambo cookers, but with shipping, they are out of my price range.

You can't go wrong with either one. It comes down to what will suit your needs better.

How important is the propane starter? You could always add this later.
How important is the direct heat charcoal grill? Harder, if not impossible, to add later.
Wheels can be added very easy.
You need to weigh these options, figure out what can be added and what can't be added if you decide you need something later.
If it was me, I would go with the Lang. The thicker steel and other options make up for the mileage. You can always get a charcoal grill later if you still need one, you can't add thicker steel.

morgaj1
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
You can't go wrong with either one. It comes down to what will suit your needs better.

How important is the propane starter? You could always add this later.
How important is the direct heat charcoal grill? Harder, if not impossible, to add later.
Wheels can be added very easy.
You need to weigh these options, figure out what can be added and what can't be added if you decide you need something later.
If it was me, I would go with the Lang. The thicker steel and other options make up for the mileage. You can always get a charcoal grill later if you still need one, you can't add thicker steel.

The propane starter is not a big deal, since I have a propane weed torch. As for the charcoal grill, I already have one, so that is not a big deal. At this point, I am leaning toward the Lang.

Zin
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
morgaj1, if you have never cooked with a reverse flow like the lang cookers are you better try one before buying. The reverse flow use's 3 times the fuel an off set smoker would use. The reverse flow also has 3 hot spots.

BBQ Bandit
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
morgaj1, if you have never cooked with a reverse flow like the lang cookers are you better try one before buying. The reverse flow use's 3 times the fuel an off set smoker would use. The reverse flow also has 3 hot spots.

Not sure what you are talking about...

Sure... Langs are intended to be stickburners... however does quite nicely using a charcoal basket... extending loads 3-4 hours between reloads.

What exactly are the three hot spots you are referring to?
Granted ANY offset will be hotter next to the firebox... where are the other two?

Please elaborate...

ChicagoSizzlin
09-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Are you guys sure that Bubba use 3/16th steel? Last time I talked to him he said they use 1/4 " all around. That was for the 250 though it might be different for the smaller models.

Big Sexy
09-15-2011, 07:17 AM
I looooove my Lang.... just say'N :becky:

Also, I'm unaware of the 3 hot sopts as mentioned above.
Reverse flow pits do take a bit more wood, but I dont see it being 3 times the amount of a regular offset pit. Not using a charcoal basket, I add a split every 45-60 minutes, and I can hold a steady temp. It does require some babysitting, but I dont mind... I think it's half the fun; I'm a night owl & it gives me time to relax and consume some cold ones :wink:

DirtyDirty00
09-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I looooove my Lang.... just say'N :becky:

Also, I'm unaware of the 3 hot sopts as mentioned above.
Reverse flow pits do take a bit more wood, but I dont see it being 3 times the amount of a regular offset pit. Not using a charcoal basket, I add a split every 45-60 minutes, and I can hold a steady temp. It does require some babysitting, but I dont mind... I think it's half the fun; I'm a night owl & it gives me time to relax and consume some cold ones :wink:

yes sir! thats why i like my stickburner too!

Lake Dogs
09-15-2011, 11:08 AM

More fuel, than another offset of equal size (firebox, etc.) that's not reverse flow? Really? I guess it's possible, but ... I have no idea what you're talking about 3 hot spots. Reverse flow smokers generally smooth those out. Yes, mine is cooler on the side farthest from the firebox and is hotter closer to the firebox, but any smoker regardless of reverse or not has that.

I live right down the road from Lonnie of Bubba Grills and we cant go anywhere 'round here without running into one of his smokers. I love them and have cooked on 250R's a few times.

That said I went to buy one used but couldn't find any and ran across the Lang that I now have. I love it, too.

They're very similar. They do have small/slight differences. For the most part look to see what you'll use and make the choice based upon that. Generally, they're both very good and I dont think you'll be disappointed with either.

snyper77
09-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Morgaj1, where ya located in AL? I'm in Rainbow City/Southside. I'm in the market for a Lang too. Gonna buy used (let someone else take the hit for buying new). Here's a post I created a while back.....you may wanna scroll through.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110689

BBQ_MAFIA
09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
All I can tell you is that I love my Langs.
I disagree when some say get the biggest you can afford, but that's me.
The Lang 84 is big and it will take a load of meat to fill it up. The Lang 60 is a great
size cooker and mine gets a real work out at home.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Kernscookin
09-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I went through the same thing you are going through earlier this year. I researched, looked at other cookers, talked with Ben Lang, sweated, stayed up late, talked with my wife, new, used, 1/4" steel vs. 11 gauge, what do I do? Spent hours on the computer trying to decide.
I have bought used cars, trucks, tools but by God I wanted a NEW Smoker. I decided on Lang because they are a well known builder of cookers with a great reputation and call it Ego if you want but I just wanted a Lang. In May I bought a Lang 60. It's a good size to cook big or small. I was going to get the 48 deluxe but Ben Lang talked me into getting the 60 with no warming box for the same money. I have cooked on it 10 times give or take and I do not regret going with Lang. I am a Lang Man and proud of it.

Big Bears BBQ
09-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I would go with the Lang. Add a charcoal basket to the fire box it will burn alot better. All you need is a small hand torch to light your fire you don't need a gas starter..............

Good luck...............

Bruce Norman
08-02-2013, 02:32 PM
I purchased a Bubba grill (250) with the insulated fire box and rib box during summer 2012. I too had difficulty deciding between Bubba and Lang. They say hind site is a wonderful thing. One very important feature that you will find on a Lang and not on a Bubba is grease control. The Lang units deflector plate is built in such a way it channels grease toward a drain and out of the cook chamber. The Bubba grill tends to collect grease in the bottom of the tank and builds up under the deflector plate and eventually catchs fire and burns off. This is OK if you are cooking small amounts of food but fill it up with shoulders and you better have a fire extinguisher handy. I run a small BBQ business in Ontario Canada and I cook 3-400 lbs a week. I make sure the unit is clean before we fire it each time but enough grease can build up during the cook to cause a problem. If hind site were my guide I would have bought the Lang and hopefully come summers end I will.

dobdabomb
08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
War Eagle OP!

82's BBQ
08-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I purchased a Bubba grill (250) with the insulated fire box and rib box during summer 2012. I too had difficulty deciding between Bubba and Lang. They say hind site is a wonderful thing. One very important feature that you will find on a Lang and not on a Bubba is grease control. The Lang units deflector plate is built in such a way it channels grease toward a drain and out of the cook chamber. The Bubba grill tends to collect grease in the bottom of the tank and builds up under the deflector plate and eventually catchs fire and burns off. This is OK if you are cooking small amounts of food but fill it up with shoulders and you better have a fire extinguisher handy. I run a small BBQ business in Ontario Canada and I cook 3-400 lbs a week. I make sure the unit is clean before we fire it each time but enough grease can build up during the cook to cause a problem. If hind site were my guide I would have bought the Lang and hopefully come summers end I will.

The grease issue is my only negative with my Bubba 250. It only takes a simple fix of adding 1 maybe 2 drains.

Ackman
08-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I can not comment on the bubba grill as I have no experience but I love my Lang 36--my only regret is that I did not get the 48 ... 60....you get the idea

bbq.tom
08-03-2013, 06:21 AM
I went with the LANG 36" hybrid patio model with the 30" charcoal grill up front. I LOVE it!!!
Only hot spot is close to the firebox.

"We're cooking on a LANG"

MJ_Tenn
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Big Bears BBQ;1789399]I would go with the Lang. Add a charcoal basket to the fire box it will burn alot better.

Hope this isn't a dumb question , but do you use charcoal in the basket or wood ?

dwfisk
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Using a RF first is a good suggestion if you can arrange it.

BUT, I flat disagree that a RF uses 3 times the fuel of a traditional offset and don't understand "3 hot spots"! I built my rig (size described in my signature) as a hybrid that can be set up as EITHER a traditional offset with the exhaust opposite the firebox and tuning plates to even out the heat; OR, as a RF with a solid RF baffle (tuning plates crowded together to make a solid baffle) and the exhaust on the same end as the firebox. I've cooked on it a bunch both ways and don't see ANY significant difference in fuel consumption, if anything running as a traditional offset uses the most fuel, but not enough to make a difference. I terms of fuel consumption I use about 3-5 splits to get the pit up to temp and probably average 2 splits every hour-and-a-half to two hours to maintan cook temps, maybe a 12-15 splits total for a 7-8 hour cook.

PS: both the Lang and Bubba Grill are quality products and you will probably be happy with either. My personal choice would be the Lang, I just prefer RF stickburners.

DownHomeQue
08-05-2013, 04:15 PM
RF doesn't burn up 3 times the fuel for sure.. it may take a little longer and more fuel to get going.. but once she gets going.. its about the same amount of fuel as a traditional offset.. I have cooked on RF cookers of the same size as my cooker and it did take her abt 30 more minutes to heat up fully.. than my Traditional.. but once she got heated up and going.. she was humming along at the same rate as my tradional.. Have to heat the baffle plate up.. and get it drafting properly.