PDA

View Full Version : I had an incredible sauce idea!

twinsfan
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm going away this weekend, but I'm trying to find a way to do some ribs in the oven (I know, I know) just to try my sauce idea out.

I love peach so much, why not make a peach barbecue sauce? It sounds really delicious in mind with hearty amounts of brown sugar, a can of peach juice, some vinegar, and some ketchup to thicken it.. I don't know, I think it could be really really good. I'll see if I can make some ribs tomorrow night in the over for the trip up to Mass.

Anyone ever tried? This came to me in some kind of mystical flash. :heh:

caseydog
09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I love to experiment with sauces. Just mix and taste. It is a good way to train your palette. You mix a little up, and taste it, and iff something seems to be missing, you figure out what that is, and add it.

It doesn't always work, so have a backup plan. But, when it does work, it is awesome.

However, don't do the one thing I tend to do -- I have a bad habit of not taking notes when I experiment, and end up with a good sauce and no recipe.

CD

jacob
09-13-2011, 06:13 PM
I've seen something like that here www.peppers.com (http://www.peppers.com) some time back. This is a really cool site and I think there close to you.

Here it is
http://peppers.com/cube/images/uploads/ole_ray_peach.jpg

caseydog
09-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh, and think about peach nectar. It is thicker, and probably more peach flavor for a sauce. I'm not sure about that, but it's probably the way I would go. But, I could be wrong.

That's the fun of experimenting. :becky:

CD

twinsfan
09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I'll try it. Georgia Ribs here i come.

gtr
09-13-2011, 06:20 PM
I think Adam Perry Lang has a peach sauce or glaze recipe in his Serious BBQ book. Also there's a peach glazed ribs recipe in Blackberry Farms - so you may get some good inspiration from those places.

PimpSmoke
09-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Write it down, whatever you do. I have made many sauces that were called "amazing" and asked for more, only to tell the requester I can't. That's because I get drunk and experiment without writing chit down and can't replicate it.

twinsfan
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
PimpSmoke- That HOPEFULLY won't be a problem. Thanks for the advice though. And yes I'll check those sources out if I can.

powerpig
09-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I made some this past weekend. Halved three peaches, smoked them on the Traeger at 225 for about 90 minutes. Peeled them and pureed. Added the puree to my sauce base and it was pretty good. I always use seasonal fruit in my sauce.

Boshizzle
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Heck yeah! Melt peach preserves and use it like sugar in the sauce.

NorthwestBBQ
09-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Here are some helpful links:

http://tinyurl.com/69jkz7s

lfurl43142
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Melt a 12 ounce jar of Peach preserves in a sauce pan. Add half cup of honey. and here is the flexible part....at least a half cup sriracha. More if you like. Simmer it up and use that. Killer stuff.

Badgeman
09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I've jazzed up vinegar based sauce with peach nectar recently. I'm on the same peach kick that it sounds like you're on. It was very sweet so I think I would back off on other things like brown sugar, and I'd probably add something like chipotle pepper. But the peach flavor! Oh my gosh! Keep experimenting and let us know.

jberry
09-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I made some this past weekend. Halved three peaches, smoked them on the Traeger at 225 for about 90 minutes. Peeled them and pureed. Added the puree to my sauce base and it was pretty good. I always use seasonal fruit in my sauce.

I halve my peaches, add brown sugar, nutmeg, dark rum and a little butter into a foil tray and cover. Cook for an hour on med and puree. Works well with apricots too.

Actually the peaches are a delicious side to lots of dishes, salmon being our favorite.

caseydog
09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Oh yeah, peach preserves would be awesome in a sauce. Intense flavor and sweetness. Forget the juice or nectar, go for the preserves. :thumb:

CD

orangeblood
09-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Write it down, whatever you do. I have made many sauces that were called "amazing" and asked for more, only to tell the requester I can't. That's because I get drunk and experiment without writing chit down and can't replicate it.

pimpsmoke = wise dude

writing stuff down is a good idea in the fog of bbq prep

wheelterrapin
09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
BIG BOB GIBSON'S BBQ BOOK by Chris Lilly has a recipe in it for a Peach Pork Butt in which he has a Peach Sauce he uses. This is a great book and I highly recommend it for your BBQ library if you do not already have it.

I'm going away this weekend, but I'm trying to find a way to do some ribs in the oven (I know, I know) just to try my sauce idea out.

I love peach so much, why not make a peach barbecue sauce? It sounds really delicious in mind with hearty amounts of brown sugar, a can of peach juice, some vinegar, and some ketchup to thicken it.. I don't know, I think it could be really really good. I'll see if I can make some ribs tomorrow night in the over for the trip up to Mass.

Anyone ever tried? This came to me in some kind of mystical flash. :heh:

Limp Brisket
09-13-2011, 10:54 PM

LOL, my brother!

Hoss
09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Never tried it but I like peaches...IN DESSERT!:laugh: Be careful or you will ruin some peaches AND some sauce and Que.Some chit just ain't rite.:hand: :tsk: But then again you may invent the NEXT FAD! :laugh:

JMSetzler
09-14-2011, 01:00 AM

+1

I have use orange marmalade in a sauce too... nice stuff!

ChicagoSizzlin
09-14-2011, 08:53 AM
I tried to use Apricot preserves before and I didnt like it. I ended up buying the apricots, smoked them and blended them. I think using the whole fruit makes a more interesting sauce IMO.

1FUNVET
09-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Alcohol also makes me forget things :becky:

FattyMac
09-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Check this out:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1627573&postcount=206

Also there are many other great sauces in that thread if you haven't seen it yet.

Phubar
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Done it last weekend on my ribs....

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv96/phubar/SmokeFest%2010-09-11/IMG_6677.jpg

Making a BBQ sauce out of rhubarb is one of my Phavorites.

gtr
09-14-2011, 10:36 AM
^^^Phu's rhubarb sauce is a beautiPhul thang! :hungry:

Phubar
09-14-2011, 10:52 AM
^^^Phu's rhubarb sauce is a beautiPhul thang! :hungry:

You're one of the few people that I've tried it out on.:thumb:
It got me Phirst place during the Dutch championships next to the couscous and picanha.
You Phorgot to take a pic of the sauce GTR...

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd450/gtrbbq/Phubars/beePhplate.jpg

ChicagoSizzlin
09-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Done it last weekend on my ribs....

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv96/phubar/SmokeFest%2010-09-11/IMG_6677.jpg

Making a BBQ sauce out of rhubarb is one of my Phavorites.

What ya got on that bottom rack ?? Thats what Im talking about Phu !

Phubar
09-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Ribs getting basted by the drunken nectarines.:thumb:

ChicagoSizzlin
09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Ribs getting basted by the drunken nectarines.:thumb:

Phubalicous !!! Excuse the drool please. :faint:

Camille Eonich
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM

I found not one but two jars of pepper jelly in my cabinets last week and did this exactly with half of one of the jars. Mixed it with a little stone ground mustard, garlic and red wine vinegar to go on pork chops. The pepper jelly didn't give as much flavor as I hoped for but they were good.