PDA

View Full Version : Flank steak

Bigdog
05-04-2005, 11:59 AM
I found some flank steak yesturday at Sam's for $5.65 lb. What the fark? Why is it so expensive? Demand for fajitas? Does anyone have a cheaper sub. for beef fajita meat? For that price, I might as well use steak. I asked a butcher one time for stew meat. He answer: It's all stew meat! Interesting prospective.

Jorge
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
My guess is demand for fajitas. Try skirt steak, but likely to be the same problem.

Bigmista
05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
My guess is demand for fajitas. Try skirt steak, but likely to be the same problem.

That's what I was going to suggest.

BigBelly
05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
The funny thing is that in a few weeks it will be on sale for something like 3.99 a pound. There is no ryhm or reason for the pricing other then making a few bucks. You'll notice that on any of the meats, if you were to take a survey each month of the prices of let's say flank steak. You'll see a few months were there is a constant price, and a month were the price spikes, and another month where the price is semi-cheap.

Manking money 101 mod.

BBQchef33
05-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Not to suggest the obvious... but brisket makes great fajitas too. :)

chad
05-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Since no Texans have stepped up:

Fajita is skirt - not round steak, not brisket, not flank steak, not chicken, not shrimp -- you get the picture.

Fajita is grilled skirt, grilled onions and peppers, some pico and wrap it all up in a flour tortilla.

Now, all that other stuff is good but it is NOT fajita!! All that other crap with cheese and sour cream, etc. is a burrito in it's most adulterated form. :D

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary! :D

BBQchef33
05-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Still say brisket makes a good fajita.

But im from NY, so im allowed to say that. :mrgreen:

Now if you tofu munchin Cali's and sunburned floridiains stop puttin pineapple and conch on pizza, I'll stop making brisket fajitas.

so there. 8)

nucleargeek
05-04-2005, 01:53 PM

Fajita is skirt - not round steak, not brisket, not flank steak, not chicken, not shrimp -- you get the picture.

Fajita is grilled skirt, grilled onions and peppers, some pico and wrap it all up in a flour tortilla.

Now, all that other stuff is good but it is NOT fajita!! All that other crap with cheese and sour cream, etc. is a burrito in it's most adulterated form. :D

Just my opinion, your mileage will vary! :D

If you like your fajitas tough...go with skirt....little more tender than go with flank. You know...they do make chicken and shimp fajitas too, you know.

Trout_man22
05-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Now if you tofu munchin Cali's and sunburned floridiains stop puttin pineapple and conch on pizza, I'll stop making brisket fajitas.

LOL, There goes the price of brisket

chad
05-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I didn't say they don't make 'em -- :D I'm just pointing out that other cuts and meats are not traditional fajita.

Think back about, oh, 50 years ago - do you really think you'd have gotten a shrimp fajita?? :mrgreen:

Traditionally it's grilled skirt. But hey, if you don't care about tradition why not use tenderloin? Then at least you're guaranteed tender! You're supposed to slice it thin anyway!!

Jorge
05-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Before this becomes a Fajita Jihad, Fajitas by definition are beef. Period. You may be able to order Chicken Fajitas, Shrimp Fajitas, or Tofu Fajitas, but they are really soft tacos. At some point proprietors got tired of explaining to Joe Smith that they didn't sell Chicken fajitas but they would be happy to bring out some chicken soft tacos.

jt
05-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Wow. You'd think someone said Chili was made with beans...

Mark
05-04-2005, 02:29 PM
The funny thing is that in a few weeks it will be on sale for something like 3.99 a pound. There is no ryhm or reason for the pricing other then making a few bucks. You'll notice that on any of the meats, if you were to take a survey each month of the prices of let's say flank steak. You'll see a few months were there is a constant price, and a month were the price spikes, and another month where the price is semi-cheap.

Manking money 101 mod.

Yep. Case-in-point: Local price of pork ribs now $1.49/lb plus a coupon for $10 off $50. Got a freezer? Stock up when prices are cheap.

racer_81
05-04-2005, 02:31 PM

BLASPHEMY!!

When in a bind, pork can be substituted for beef in a "fajita-like soft taco thing".

Pork takes the seasoning quite well.

Of course, you could try Spam.

Bigdog
05-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Hmmm... Fajita chili made with brisket, chicken and shrimp...with beans. How's that for all you purest farkers? (just stirring the pot) :P

But seriously, thanks for all the feedback. Brisket was going to be my suggestion. If you have done this, I would appreciate hearing how you did it. I have yet to see skirt steak in the grocery stores around here. We have a large Mexican population here, and probably most of it goes to the restaurants.

dapittboss
05-04-2005, 03:25 PM
At some point proprietors got tired of explaining to Joe Smith that they didn't sell Chicken fajitas but they would be happy to bring out some chicken soft tacos.

Who'se Joe Smith?

brdbbq
05-04-2005, 04:33 PM

I'm not Texan Illinois threw me out. Be damn if I know why.

brdbbq
05-04-2005, 04:33 PM
At some point proprietors got tired of explaining to Joe Smith that they didn't sell Chicken fajitas but they would be happy to bring out some chicken soft tacos.

Who'se Joe Smith?

He signed up a bit ago. :roll:

dapittboss
05-04-2005, 04:37 PM

Who'se Joe Smith?

He signed up a bit ago. :roll:

He should go do a Cattle Call :lol:

Neil
05-05-2005, 03:48 AM
Smoke a whole chuck roll then you can have your beef fajita's-soft taco-burrito (it's all the same anyway) and pulled barbeque beef samiches too!

Mark
05-05-2005, 08:41 AM
OK; lets see if this get me banned:

Or substitute portabella mushrooms for beef and tofu for cheese and have vegan fajitas.

BTW: Jorge. You're wrong that fajitas can't be chicken. After all, they're on the menu at Chili's ;-)

Jorge
05-05-2005, 08:48 AM

Or substitute portabella mushrooms for beef and tofu for cheese and have vegan fajitas.

BTW: Jorge. You're wrong that fajitas can't be chicken. After all, they're on the menu at Chili's ;-)

My point exactly :!:

Jorge
05-25-2005, 07:01 AM
These days it isn't bad. I usually see it in the $3-$4 range. That may be due to greater demand in my area though.

Qczar
05-25-2005, 07:30 AM
I found some flank steak yesturday at Sam's for $5.65 lb. What the fark? Why is it so expensive? Demand for fajitas? Does anyone have a cheaper sub. for beef fajita meat? For that price, I might as well use steak. I asked a butcher one time for stew meat. He answer: It's all stew meat! Interesting prospective.

Flank steak has to be the biggest scam. Yeah it`s 4-5-6 bucks a pound where I am too! But, you know what? I still get it sometimes as my simple preparation for cooking is second to none.

Coat it with 'Kitchen Bouquet' & 'Maggi' (soy sauce based seasoning), let it sit for an hour or two, and sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over it (preferably Paul Prudommes` 'Steak Magic'). Grill it for a minute or two each side over as hot of grids as possible. Slice on a sharp angle, cross grain and pour some gravy with a ton of mushrooms and a smoked Jalapeno in it. A heaping of garlic mash potatoes is a must!

That jalapeno smoked flavor goes perfect.

Bigdog
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM

Flank steak has to be the biggest scam. Yeah it`s 4-5-6 bucks a pound where I am too! But, you know what? I still get it sometimes as my simple preparation for cooking is second to none.

Coat it with 'Kitchen Bouquet' & 'Maggi' (soy sauce based seasoning), let it sit for an hour or two, and sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over it (preferably Paul Prudommes` 'Steak Magic'). Grill it for a minute or two each side over as hot of grids as possible. Slice on a sharp angle, cross grain and pour some gravy with a ton of mushrooms and a smoked Jalapeno in it. A heaping of garlic mash potatoes is a must!

That jalapeno smoked flavor goes perfect.

That sounds good bro. Thanks for the recipe.

BBQchef33
05-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I coat it with kitchen bouquet and teriyaki and montreal steak seasoning and let it sit while the fire gets ready. Prep some lump coal and mesquite chunks in the kettle and let them burn down to hot coals. then.. and heres the trick, I put the fire grate from the smokey mountain right on the coals. Its smaller than the kettle, and fits right on top of them coals. . Steaks cook at zero clearance, real close to the heat, about 30-45 seconds per side. Then i take them off and roll them up in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes.

I put some seasoned and sliced onions and bell peppers and a jalepeno or 2 in a sealed foil pouch and lay that on top of the coals for a few minutes while the steaks coo k and rest. When ya remove the steaks, remove the grate and leave the pouch on top of the coals. shake and flip ofgten. One they are soft, put them in the dish, slice the steak and lay on top.

just made myself hungry.. its 40 degress and rainin out and we're in the middle of a nor'easter.. aint no cookin going on today.

BigAl
05-30-2005, 03:41 PM

My point exactly :!:

"On The Border" has great Portabella Mushrooms Fajitas and the huge Margs are good also.

MrSmoker
05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
I coat it with kitchen bouquet and teriyaki and montreal steak seasoning and let it sit while the fire gets ready. Prep some lump coal and mesquite chunks in the kettle and let them burn down to hot coals. then.. and heres the trick, I put the fire grate from the smokey mountain right on the coals. Its smaller than the kettle, and fits right on top of them coals. . Steaks cook at zero clearance, real close to the heat, about 30-45 seconds per side. Then i take them off and roll them up in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes.

I put some seasoned and sliced onions and bell peppers and a jalepeno or 2 in a sealed foil pouch and lay that on top of the coals for a few minutes while the steaks coo k and rest. When ya remove the steaks, remove the grate and leave the pouch on top of the coals. shake and flip ofgten. One they are soft, put them in the dish, slice the steak and lay on top.

just made myself hungry.. its 40 degress and rainin out and we're in the middle of a nor'easter.. aint no cookin going on today.Sounds like a good day for something PICKLED :)

hornbri
05-30-2005, 03:58 PM
USDA Choice Skirt Steak $1.99

I wish i could get that price. Just saw it for 7.99 a pound. Fark! I have a local mexican grocery where i find it for 4.99 and buy it all the time. Love me some Fajitas.

Ohh and I agree with Jorge.

Kevin
06-07-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm gonna try some marinated/grilled beef/onions/bell and jap peppers in a soft taco thingy tonight. Read this thread from the begining and you'll understand why I didn't say fajitas.

bbqjoe
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Fajitas are overrated. Good but overrated.
So is skirt steak. They probably used to just throw it out or put it in stew or something. Maybe gave it away.

Someone comes up with something to do with it, and now it's like gold.

I remember a time when people threw catfish back......

LeeBo
06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Yep, I think the immigration increase has driven up the price. Why? Ever shopped for tongue? (Yes Yankees - I'm serious.)

Butchers used to give them away. Now tongue sells for upwards of $5 a pound. It is used quite a bit in the Hispanic culture.

I've never cooked any, but most Southerners have grandparents that grew up eating it and/or tail.

LeeBo
06-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Oh - I forgot to add..... I'm making some ground turkey fajitas tonight! Blasphemy indeed. However, wifey is has a limited diet due to health reasons. While they won't be real fajitas, I hope these ground fajita with peppers and onions in a soft tortilla turn out OK.

ps. Ground turkey for hard shell tacos is surprisingly good.

Kevin
06-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes, I'm a blasphemer too. Too lazy to go shopping so I dug some tenderized round steaks out of the freezer. Cooked the onions and peppers in a foil pan on the grill, put 4 split and seeded japs in the pan along with evoo and tony C's. The japs added just the right amount of heat to the other veggies by just cooking with them. I'm a fat and happy boy right now.

kcquer
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
ps. Ground turkey for hard shell tacos is surprisingly good.

Shredded smoked chicken is pretty good too. After shredding or pulling the chicken I sautee it with some chili powder and onion.

JohnMcD348
06-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Who'se Joe Smith?

He's the smart one.

qman
06-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Shredded smoked chicken is pretty good too. After shredding or pulling the chicken I sautee it with some chili powder and onion.

kc, I do the same thing with chicken and turkey. I prefer the dark meat of both. I use Chipotle chile and some cumin, with the onion of course. good stuff.

ggeilman
06-07-2006, 09:09 PM
It has gotten to the point I have given up mexican food period. Too expensive, too spicy and too much reminder of immigration problems.

qman
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
It has gotten to the point I have given up mexican food period. Too expensive, too spicy and too much reminder of immigration problems.

The last point I understand and agree with but the rest, Huh?
You can control he "spicness" and as to cost, what is cheaper?

Kevin
06-07-2006, 09:18 PM
kc, I do the same thing with chicken and turkey. I prefer the dark meat of both. I use Chipotle chile and some cumin, with the onion of course. good stuff.

Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I use the store bought ground a lot, but fresh toasted cumin seed, freshly ground is goodest.

ggeilman
06-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, but I only eat fajitas! And yes, Jorge, they are beef. I used to make home made soft tacos once in awhile. My lunches these days usually consist of 98 cent a lb salami or leftover brisket or pork strips.

qman
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I use the store bought ground a lot, but fresh toasted cumin seed, freshly ground is goodest.

You got that right Kevin. Find a place that sells Latin herbs. Buy a cellophane bag of cumin seeds, dirt cheep, then take them home, toast them, and then grind. youzers!!!!

FatDaddy
06-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Yep, I think the immigration increase has driven up the price. Why? Ever shopped for tongue? (Yes Yankees - I'm serious.)

Butchers used to give them away. Now tongue sells for upwards of $5 a pound. It is used quite a bit in the Hispanic culture.

I've never cooked any, but most Southerners have grandparents that grew up eating it and/or tail.

I like Barbacoa!! (cow head, including tongue) wrapp it up in a corn tortilla with some fresh pico!! never cooked it myself, may try it one of these days, when ive seen it cooked it is wrapped in heavy foil and cooked in ground just like cabrito (goat) which is good also.

(edit) oh yea for on topic. I use skirt steak for fajitas. got a rub out of steve reichman sp? (i think thats his name) BBQ Bible that was pretty good on fajitas. but yes in Texas its skirt steak onions and bell peppers. we usually make refried beans and pico with em.

God Bless Texas!!!

Kevin
08-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I like Barbacoa!! (cow head, including tongue) wrapp it up in a corn tortilla with some fresh pico!! never cooked it myself, may try it one of these days, when ive seen it cooked it is wrapped in heavy foil and cooked in ground just like cabrito (goat) which is good also.

(edit) oh yea for on topic. I use skirt steak for fajitas. got a rub out of steve reichman sp? (i think thats his name) BBQ Bible that was pretty good on fajitas. but yes in Texas its skirt steak onions and bell peppers. we usually make refried beans and pico with em.

God Bless Texas!!!

Where do you find a tortilla big enough to wrap a cow head, including tongue, in?
Just messing with ya. I was looking for a fajita seasoning and found this thread.

Norcoredneck
08-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Here in So Cal the price of Frajita meat is proportional with Raider games/soccer games if you get my drift. If the sales ads come out and Corona, Limes, Tequila is on sale = big Raider Nation flag flying traffic jam.
Oh yeah no car insurance.:evil:

BBQ_MAFIA
08-28-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm not really familiar with Mexican food so sorry for the stupid question.

What is PICO? I've seen it in a few of the post and have no idea what it is.

qman
08-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Pico= Pico de Gallo= a basic tomato based salsa, made fresh, with hot peppers and cilantro, at least usually.

bbqjoe
08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I've seen it as simple as chopped onion, tomato, and cilantro. You use it as a garnish or additive to you fajitas.

FatDaddy
08-28-2006, 01:12 PM
my pico/fresh salsa is tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, juice of a lime or 2, salt pepper, garlic powder.. turns out damn good and is good on anything from eggs to grilled chicken tacos. which we just had for lunch today :)