PDA

View Full Version : Meat Cutting

LMAJ
09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
As I read more, and learn more, it makes me want to know and learn more. Since finding this site my BBQ has improved as has my basic cooking.
I now grind my own meat and make my own sausage. :clap2:
Next step - I would like to get better with my knife skills and knowledge on breaking down pieces of meat. I'm not looking to put my butcher out of work, but want to know more. Anyone have any books or videos you can recommend?

JMSetzler
09-11-2011, 03:09 PM
There are a lot of good videos on YouTube on this subject. I found several good ones that taught me how to do the St. Louis cut on spares. I'm sure there are others as well...

Congrats on the sausage making. Are you making cased sausages? I bought a meat grinder recently and would like to make sausage but I am not sure if I wanna mess with the casings and links or not...

LMAJ
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Yep - used hog middles
Made chicken, basil and sun dried tomato sausage and bratwurst. The casing smell to high heaven till you soak them. Make sure you rinse them well inside and out - the first time I didn't run water through the inside of the casing and the sausage turned out salty. I think that played a big part in it.
Go for it - you won't regret it.

lionhrt
09-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I have been doing it for a while I started with the videos here http://www.beefretail.org/chuckrollcuts.aspx there are others out there also but its a good start