PDA

View Full Version : Margarita Machine

MoKanMeathead
05-03-2005, 08:57 AM
ADMIN EDIT: We lost our pictures in the move. Heres a link to the photo gallery.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album42&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Here is our margarita machine. Made out of an Igloo cooler, PVC pipe and a 3/4 hp garbage disposer. Makes excellent frozen margaritas!!

Now if I can just figure out how to attach a photo.

Wayne

Bill-Chicago
05-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Now that, is farking cool.

Ron_L
05-03-2005, 09:12 AM
It looks like something out of a sci fi movie! Cool!

Arlin_MacRae
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
It's awful...blue!

Good job there, Wayne!

Kevin
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I love it. Thanks for the pic.

Jeff_in_KC
05-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Hey Wayne... how 'bout some more detailed plans or interior pictures posted??? Awesome job! Wish I'd been down at Warsaw Friday night to see it in action. Was it you taking song requests? LOL!

Jorge
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Hmmmmm, I'm going to Home Depot later.....

Jeff_in_KC
05-03-2005, 09:45 AM
I'm thinking that Phil will be contacting Home Depot or Lowes to arrange group discounts on garbage disposals before long! :lol:

MoKanMeathead
05-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I will try to take some pics of the inside of the cooler and the underside of the box and post some sort of plans. Probably will not get to it until next week - gotta get ready for Lawarence this week. Back to back contests is tough!

dapittboss
05-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Now that looks like a fun project!

shock
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Here is our margarita machine. Made out of an Igloo cooler, PVC pipe and a 3/4 hp garbage disposer. Makes excellent frozen margaritas!!

Now if I can just figure out how to attach a photo.

Wayne

SWEET!!! We can use your machine with my cart - portable 120 VAC from a car battery!!

Jorge
05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Showed it to the better half last night.

Her:What do you want one of those for?

Me: To make margaritas.

Her: You don't even drink margaritas!

Me: <smirk> I would if I had one of THOSE!!

First time that arguement ever worked for me! No doubt they will be the best margaritas ever now 8)

spicewine
05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Wayne's Famous Margarita Machine. Garanteed to make you sing out of key and not care.

dapittboss
05-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I will try to take some pics of the inside of the cooler and the underside of the box and post some sort of plans. Probably will not get to it until next week - gotta get ready for Lawarence this week. Back to back contests is tough!

I can't wait to see those pic's. I would love to build on of those! What a genius idea..

SmokeRookie49
05-04-2005, 08:58 PM
That is just way to cool!!!http://media.TheInsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_hail.GIF

You have got to post some plans, Great job!!!http://media.TheInsiders.com/Media/Other/229031_hail.GIF

scottm4300
05-04-2005, 09:12 PM
WOW - I'm gonna end up with more toys than my kids with stuff like that. I gotta make one!! That's just plain genius!!!

Neil
05-05-2005, 04:38 AM
Would a two cycle engine mod be a possiblility for when electricity was not available? I have seen blenders powered by chain saw engines at many a tailgate party.

BBQchef33
05-05-2005, 09:05 AM
I just purchased the plans!!!! We will have a margarita machine soon!! :)

8) 8) oh yeah.... who da man :?: :?: :!: :!: 8) 8)

frognot
05-05-2005, 10:06 AM
The perfect Mother's Day gift!

Bellybro
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
oh yeah.... who da man

Umm.... I give up? Bill?

dapittboss
05-05-2005, 10:45 AM
I just purchased the plans!!!! We will have a margarita machine soon!! :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25365&item=7512519797&rd=1

8) 8) oh yeah.... who da man :?: :?: :!: :!: 8) 8)

Have you recieved the plans yet? I notice it is a Dutch auction and if the plans look good, I gotta get me some!!!!

BBQchef33
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
plans get mail priority overnight. They are in 34 page 8.5x11 booklet form. Allready recieved notice from seller they are shipping today.

MoKanMeathead
05-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Hope you didn't pay too much for those plans! Not that hard to make. I will post some pics and plans next week. Let me know if you run into any gotchyas.

I can't get to ebay on this computer so I can't see the plans. A friend suggested that I post mine on Ebay - he better not have beet me to it!!

Later
Wayne

Bill-Chicago
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Phil,
Should Chadoogled it.

I like Free

http://www.geocities.com/acmetequila/

BBQchef33
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
i saw some free plans.. Read the reviews and it wasnt favorable. these plans were 19 bucks in a bound book and had good writeups. Oh well, we piss 20 bucks away at a pizza joint.. no big deal.

Bird in the hand mod.... :roll:

Mokan, didnt realize it was your setup.. was thinking it was just one Spice saw at the contest.

EDIT Pictures of finished Product.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album42&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

parrothead
05-05-2005, 01:30 PM
http://www.geocities.com/acmetequila/

I found this one also, Bill. I like the design better because the flow pipe is inside the box and can be insulated for less melting.

ckkphoto
05-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I gotta have me one of those!!!

Jorge
05-05-2005, 03:21 PM
I already bought my disposal. Searching for the right cooler.

brdbbq
05-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Have not seen this much excitement since piss pirate joined the group. :roll:

Jeff_in_KC
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I like free also. I will wait for MoKan to post! :)

Bellybro
05-19-2005, 02:44 PM
ANy word on this? It is warming up and I would like to make one of these things?

parrothead
05-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I grabbed the parts last weekend and will maybe get to it this coming weekend.

ANy word on this? It is warming up and I would like to make one of these things?

What is stopping you? We posted a site that has directions.

Bill-Chicago
05-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I grabbed the parts last weekend and will maybe get to it this coming weekend.

Greg, let Phil know where you got the cooler.

He's having issues on Long Island and can't find one

chad
05-19-2005, 03:42 PM
Lowe's, Sam's, HD, ACE - sheesh!

Bill-Chicago
05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Lowe's, Sam's, HD, ACE - sheesh!

I know, I know.

But he lives on an Island, and he sez he's been to all them places.

He can only find the 2gal and wants the 5.

chad
05-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Target, Walmart, Cosco, K-Mart, local tool supply outfit, The Sports Authority or other sporting goods retailer: besides, one of the websites says the smaller cooler is more efficient! :D

Bill-Chicago
05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
besides, one of the websites says the smaller cooler is more efficient! :D

Exactly what I mentioned to him.

You know him, bigger the better.

Overcompensation Mod

Bellybro
05-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Was wanting to caompare to MoKan's. Fark it! I printed off everythign will go with those!!!

Thanks!

Solidkick
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM

Was wanting to caompare to MoKan's. Fark it! I printed off everythign will go with those!!!

Thanks!

OH GREAT!! It's bad enough the girls drink 5-7 bottles of watermellon pucker on the 4th of July, now you're gonna be makin' 'ritas for them too!

Definitley will be "**** faced at the belly bros party" this year!!

I get the couch!!

BBQchef33
05-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I got the plans and made mine with a combination of the plans on ebay, and the ones from the Acme margarita machine that’s on the net. I tweaked a little bit and had some discoveries when done.

First, although both set of plans say that ½ horsepower garbage disposer is enough, what I found is that the machines slush up and clog often. Its not he size of the motor, but the size of the holding tank. The tank freezes up and doesn’t allow any more ice to get in. Some disposers have larger tanks.

My first try was a 5/8 horse badger 5 from in-sink-erator. 92 bucks at home depot. You cant let them run dry or empty because the motors overheat and the circuit breaker in the motor trips. Then it’s a 5-10 minute wait to reset it.

The best way to work it is to fill the machine with mix and then add ice slowly as it slushes up. This was working well, until on the maiden voyage on memorial day when I wasn’t lookin, someone decided to fill the 5 gallon cooler to the dead top with ice, turn the machine on, and walk away. No ice got into the chamber and the motor burned out. We won’t mention WHO did that will we BB.?? :evil:

When I brought the dead motor back to Home depot, I upgraded to the ¾ horse model 444. Now, be aware that both of these things generates a lot of back pressure on all the machine designs, and thats reflected when u open the spout. It fills a 16oz cup in about a second. I have my spout reduced down to ½ inch and still only open the valve a tiny bit. Home depot has a large capacity disposer that has a 50 ounce chamber instead of the 26 on the 2 models I got. I think the larger chamber may help reduce the freeze up, or it would just freeze up more ice and take even longer to melt. The large capacity is also 40 buck more than the regular one.

Unless u have the scrap wood, the materials to build a cabinet out of plywood ran about 30 bucks. Home depot has a precut kitchen cabinet(model w2415w) which is a 24 long x 15 high formica cabinet for 36 bucks. Deal, no cutting and it has built in access doors. 8)
I used that. You have to cut out a spot the size of about a 4 inch triangle to install the mounting flange. I did ALL my cutting with a router and roto-zip on the cooler and the cabinet. They make short work of the cutouts.

I recommend installing a GFCI in the cabinet and then installing the switch off the protected load side. I bought a 15 foot, 14gauge appliance cord and cut the end female end off it and use that. Hot wired it to the GFCI and then used 14 gauge to a switch and the motor. Just a precaution. Inside the cabinet got pretty wet. No leaks in the system, just people making a mess.

One minor problem/inconvience I found is that the spout is low in the design and the machine has to be put on a low table in order to open the top or see inside. Mine was on a bar and the spout was pretty high up. This did not allow me to see into the top when refilling or working on a freeze up. I have posted pictures of both the original design, and the planned redesign. In the redesign, a second spout is added to the top of the return tube. The picture uses a T connector, but it will be replaced with a split Y or even better, a diverter valve which will allow me to control the amount of mix going to the spout side and the amount returning into the cooler. Another option is to put a small drain valve at the bottom of the return line. This can be done with a small puncture valve used in refrigerator water dispensers. It will drain out any melted(or warm) mix before turning the machine back on. This thing creates slush so fast that the concern of throwing melted mix back into the chamber is minor, but that is an option since some brought this up, and it will stop the drinks from becoming diluted.

Regarding the design that has the return valve running up inside the cooler instead of outside. Although it may be correct in not having the melted mix thrown back in, having it outside has IMHO, more advantages. Using a clear plastic PVC pipe outside (purchased at www.savko.com (http://www.savko.com)) lets you: 1) see how much mix is left in the cooler. The tube fills up in direct relation to the height of liquid in the cooler. 2) it lets you know if your contents have froze up. 3) Looks real cool when you turn it on and you see the stuff flowing thru the tube and it is REALLY moving. 8) 8)

If anyone needs some help or ideas send me a note and we can hook up. Once I finish all the tweaks, this puppy is getting painted all white and getting our logo stamped on it. :)

I put the pics in the photo gallery under "here we are".

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Margarita-Machine&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include =view_album.php

Wayne(mokan) load your pics when u get the chance.

nmayeux
05-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Silly question, but are the pvc joints glued, held together with silicone, or just stuck together? And as for the moisture inside the cabinet, is that the result of spillage, or condensation? Thanks for the tips, as it will save a lot of frustration when I put mine together.
Noah

parrothead
05-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Phil, I opted for not having the clear pipe. I bought insulation for the return pipe so I could still run it outside, and help lower the amount of melting in that pipe. Did you have fun mounting the flange through the cooler? I did. It took me about a half hour. I had to perform lipo-suction on the bottom of the cooler and use some clamps in order to get that thing mounted.

As far as the flow goes, I plan on making 1 bag batches, filling a pitcher, and then pouring into glasses. Have you come up with a good ratio for mixins to a 10 pound bag of ice?

I was thinking about the height of the thing also. rather than build a box that will just fit everything in it, I think I will build a box bigger, and have the thing sit on the ground level with the lid for the cooler about 5 to five and a half feet in the air. Gotta go out of town and won't finish mine until at least next weekend.

As far as painting goes, Krylon now makes a paint specifically for painting plastic that does not require any prep work before painting. MOST PAINT DOES NOT STICK WELL TO PLASTIC. This stuff does.

parrothead
05-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Did you use any silicone to seal the bottom of the cooler? It is needed to insure a watertight connection. ALSO, IT MUST BE AQUARIUM GRADE SILICONE FOR NON-TOXIC REASONS.

BBQchef33
05-30-2005, 09:45 PM
Silly question, but are the pvc joints glued, held together with silicone, or just stuck together? And as for the moisture inside the cabinet, is that the result of spillage, or condensation? Thanks for the tips, as it will save a lot of frustration when I put mine together.
Noah

the PVC joints are glued except for in the disposer and at the top 90 degree elbow where it goes into the return. The disposer part is friction fit and then taped with radiator repair tape. The top is held together with a single stainless steel screw. This allows for easy disassembly if you need to work on the disposer. I will post more detailed picture of these little things tomorrow.

The PVC cement I used is listed for potable water on the label and the silicon is for fishtanks and has FDA seal on it.

BBQchef33
05-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Phil, I opted for not having the clear pipe. I bought insulation for the return pipe so I could still run it outside, and help lower the amount of melting in that pipe. Did you have fun mounting the flange through the cooler? I did. It took me about a half hour. I had to perform lipo-suction on the bottom of the cooler and use some clamps in order to get that thing mounted.

As far as the flow goes, I plan on making 1 bag batches, filling a pitcher, and then pouring into glasses. Have you come up with a good ratio for mixins to a 10 pound bag of ice?

I was thinking about the height of the thing also. rather than build a box that will just fit everything in it, I think I will build a box bigger, and have the thing sit on the ground level with the lid for the cooler about 5 to five and a half feet in the air. Gotta go out of town and won't finish mine until at least next weekend.

As far as painting goes, Krylon now makes a paint specifically for painting plastic that does not require any prep work before painting. MOST PAINT DOES NOT STICK WELL TO PLASTIC. This stuff does.

i find the clear pipe offers more benefit than the white pipe. It elps u see whats going on and look cool too. :)

If u have the lid 5 feet up, the spout will be 3 feet up. IMO, thats a little short, Btu there is so much pressure in the system with the 5//8 or 3/4 horse pump, that moving the spit to the top, or anywhere in the return line is efffective.

I didnt deal with ratios and measurments. The disposer really needs at least 2-3 quarts of mix for optimal function. One bottle just about filled the disposer(26 ounce capacity) and when u add the additional volume required to fill the plumbing there wasnt enough mix in the system to complete an entire cycle, so the system would suck air. 2 bottles would just do it, 3 was better to form he vortex and full flow. Once the mix is in and the sytem is flowing, start adding ice slowly until you have the slushy consistancy. if u add the ice to fast, you have ice crystals and chunks and then have to let it run for a while to smooth things out.

I was gonna paint with polyurethane, but i'll look for the plastic krylon. Got some time before ready to paint. Gotta order the clear PVC ball valve and a few more couplers and elbows to add the second spit and a drain at the bottom of the return line.

Again.. the source for clear PVC I used was www.savko.com. Seems like a small outfit and the guy was patient and very helpful.

Bellybro
05-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Great info! Thanks!

When I get back home we will start on this!

Send me and Belly 2 the plans. i will try and download, but Darrel might have a better connectoin nowadays!

417bullelk
05-31-2005, 02:29 AM
Mokan, that is friggin sweet. I gotta build me one of those. I like the recirc tube being clear. Lets you know when it's getting low!

This is a must have!!! I have a 3 gallon and 5 gallon cooler just sitting and waiting for me to do something with 'em. With that new Plastic paint Krylon has we could make some really cool looking machines!!

I think this is a project the wife will actually be interested in!!!

Bill-Chicago
05-31-2005, 08:27 AM
I bet you can mix up some great chocolate milk with that thing

dante6969
05-31-2005, 11:45 AM
I have been lurking on this site for over a year. I had a small Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill that a buddy and I would smoke on all the time. When my buddy talked about buying a larger smoker to keep at my house, I looked for info on smokers and came across this site on Bandera smokers. We have cooked a bunch of meat on the Bandera and with all the tips I get here, it keeps getting better and better. I have gotten many great tips, mods and ideas from this site and a big thanks to all that contributed.

I included pictures of my almost finished margarita machine after reading about them on this site. I closed up the box and my daughter painted it sand color with palm trees all over it after these pictures were taken. I followed the free link that was posted here and used it to guide my project. After reading the instructions, I went with the 2 gallon cooler and a 3/4 hp Sears disposal. I set the box on an old coleman cooler and the hight of the spout is perfect to put a pitcher under it and I can see into the cooler. I want to give back a little something to this group, so if you have any questions on the project, please ask.

Sunday was the break-in party and it worked great. The only problem was that my head was still hurting the next morning! I guess I could have tried some without alcohol, but what fun is that, and the mix needs the alcohol to work right.

The two-gallon size is the way to go IMO. I made the batches using about a quart of liquor, one can frozen concentrate and then enough ice to get the slush right. This filled the cooler about 1/3 of the way and made about 3 pitchers. I would of made bigger batches if I had more people. Again, just wanted to thank the people who have given me so much help this last year.

If you have any questions on building one of these, please let me know.

417bullelk
06-02-2005, 02:24 AM
I wonder how one of those super insulated models would work. Claim to keep ice for 5 days.....from Igloos website.....

MaxCold 5 Gal.
UltrathermŽ insulation in the body and lid gives this beverage cooler maximum cold retention. Designed for food service, commercial and sports and recreational use. Has impact resistant plastic bottom. Pressure fit lid supports up to 300 lbs. and won't trap dirt like screw on lids. Contains side-grip comfort handles for easy transport. Convenient lever spigot. Cup bracket holds optional cup dispenser.
Features

5 Day Cooler*

Lid Supports up to 300 lbs.
Handles - Comfort grip side handles for secure carrying
Insulation - Body/Lid
Specifications
Product Dimensions: 16.94"L x 14.69"W x 20.75"H
Capacity: 5 Gal. (18.9L)

Technologies
Ultratherm Insulation

417bullelk
06-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Just realized the pressure fit lid might be a problem...

parrothead
06-02-2005, 08:37 AM
Not to mention that the bottom is probably even thicker than the standard one. Only so much room there to get the collar through and snap the ring on.

MoKanMeathead
06-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I tried one of those and the bottom was way too thick. Guess I could have scraped a bunch of insulation out and tried it.

I will try to post pictures of mine in the photo galery today or tomorrow.

Wayne

promod383
06-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I just got the plans from Phil. Thanks brother :). But I was just wondering if anyone else that has gotten them noticed that page 33 is missing?

Leeper
05-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Oh Grand Poobah.
Any chance you could post the downloadable plans for this killer machine? I found the link for the plans in the archives but there did not seem to be anything in the document.

I can't wait to try building one of these machines for the summer.