PDA

View Full Version : One KickAss Filet Mignon

BBQchef33
04-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Did a filet Mignon in the Kettle last night. Whole tenderloin, about 9-10lbs i think.

Cut off the end, rubbed it down with a nice dose of HomeBBQ.com Black Jack Seasoning and a touch of extra granulated garlic. That sat for a while while I assembled a new kettle and got about 25 briquettes, a few chunks of jack Daniels barrel oak and a few chunks of cherry fired up.

Put a water pan in the middle, fuel around the side and cooked at 275-300 till internal temps reached 110, then offset the lid a little to get some aiflow and spiked the heat to 400 which pushed internals to 125. At 125, i removed the waterpan, spread out the coals and rolled the roast over the hot coals till temps were just passing 130. Removed and gave it a loose foil tent and a 15 minute rest. Temps went close to 140.

Roast was awesome. A Perfect rare to Medium Rare. Super Juicy, so tender we didnt need our knoves. Sliced it into 1-2 inch steaks, returned a few to the hot grate on request(a little rare for some) but flavor was outstanding. HomeBBQs Black Jack Rub just became one of my favorites. Got some pictures... will post soon as I find the damn media reader.

nmayeux
04-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Sounds really good! Where did you get the J.D. barrel oak, and has anyone used bourbon wiskey in a marinade or water pan? I love the mixture of smoke taste and bourbon, and would be willing to let a little of my stash be use for experimentation.
Noah

BBQchef33
04-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Got a few slats of a barrel from a friend that has a propane shop and weber dealer. He gets JD barrels direct from JD and uses them as his displays that he sells the JD chips from. One barrel broke on him last year and he was going to throw it out.. so i scoffed up a bunch of slats. I use them in the WSM and kettle in small amounts.

I use Jack Daniels in my BBQ Sauces, and mops. The cheap stuff(10 High) I add to apple juice in my spray bottles. bourbon and BBQ just seems to go well together.. (technically JD is a mash... isn't it?)

nmayeux
04-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Yeah, JD is mash, but I am a bourbon drinker, who is partial to Jim Beam. Usually you can sub the two, as I sub JD, when JB is not available.
Noah

BBQchef33
04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Since I don't smoke...... I gave little bottles of Jim Beam out when my kids were born. Airport bottles, with "its a girl" and "its a boy" on the label. Got me liking JB. Know actually like JB better than JD, a little smoother to me, and it doesn't give me that nasty flashback of my 25th birthday...(or lack of) :twisted:

Got a few years of Wild turkey under the belt too. :wink:

Solidkick
04-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Super Juicy, so tender we didnt need our knoves.

Oh....MAVIS!!!!!!!!

I know, I know....................Bite me................

Neil
04-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Sounds dellicious Phil. I plan on doing the same thing tonight with a Sirloin Tip roast minus the Black Jack Seasoning since I don't have any but I do have plenty of Ezra Brooks and Gentleman Jack!

BigBelly
04-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Darn it Phil! See what you've gone and done? I am glad I read the forums before going to Sam's Club this morning. Amongst many other goodies like Ribs and Chicken, I can foresee a Beef Tenderloin coming home with me tonight. Got some yummy Cherry wood that is dieing to meat up with a tenderloin. =)

I am all about rolling meats in the coals for that added crispy char flavor to the exterior.

BBQchef33
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
i alway roll the roasts over hot coals to finish them. Sears the outside good and we also like that crispy charred crust.

Trout_man22
05-01-2005, 08:27 AM
so tender we didnt need our knoves

I never need my knove to cut the meat.

Phill sounds great another fine idea.

Bill-Chicago
05-01-2005, 09:04 AM
i alway roll the roasts over hot coals to finish them. .

Doesn't this make it taste like ash?

BBQchef33
05-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Not if you aim carefully and get it on the grate.

BrooklynQ
05-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Farker - I knew I shoulda stayed for dinner!

Bigdog
05-02-2005, 10:12 AM
i alway roll the roasts over hot coals to finish them. .

Doesn't this make it taste like ash?

Bill's an ash.

pass it on...

Bigdog
05-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Phil,
Why are you calling this a filet mignon? Is this just another East Coast "club steak" thingie? :?

BBQchef33
05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Phil,
Why are you calling this a filet mignon? Is this just another East Coast "club steak" thingie? :?

Huh?? No..... it was a whole Beef Tenderloin. Thats a Filet Mignon here.... You call it somethin different??

????????? :?

Bill-Chicago
05-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Phil,

Huh?? No..... it was a whole Beef Tenderloin. Thats a Filet Mignon here.... You call it somethin different??

????????? :?

Yeah, we here in the Midwest differentiate (3rd year college word for you) between a steak and a whole tenderloin.

A steak tops out at under 2" in thickness

A roast is a entire hunk of meat.

To call your tenderloin method steak is like saying a pork loin is bacon

BBQchef33
05-02-2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah, we here in the Midwest differentiate (3rd year college word for you) between a steak and a whole tenderloin.

Welll I see at least one person in the midwest should read the thread again. I never called it a steak. Read the THREAD "WHOLE TENDERLOIN" 9-10lbs. I did say however, that after its cooked, I "sliced it into 1-2 inch steaks".

So heres an education beyond the fundamentals of "a steak is under 2 inchs thick, and a roast is and entire hunk.... " Gee thanks.. Duhhhhhhhh... Now read on to a graduate course. I bypassed that 3rd year of college with all the big words.

A whole Tenderloin consists of 2 sections. The Butt and the Short, The short is from the tail end, (the narrow part of the tenderloin) to about 2/3 up the cut. The butt is the widest part of the tenderloin, usually the top 1/3. Filet mignons can be cut from either the wide ends of the short, or any part of the butt. Medallions/tournados are cut from the narrower end of the short. As you get to the tail, they become known as tenderloin tips. In the case of a small Butt end, with a decent chateaubriand, medallions can be cut from the narrow end of a butt also. A medallion is under 2 inchs across, over 2 inchs is considered a filet mignon.

In the middle of the whole tenderloin is a cleaner, leaner section. It can be the end of either the short or the butt. This section is usually sliced and used in Cheteaubriand.

So after i cooked the tenderloin, as a whole tenderloin... as stated....

I sliced it into(read title), Kickass filet mignon.

Nuff said.. :mrgreen:

Bill-Chicago
05-03-2005, 07:02 AM

Welll I see at least one person in the midwest should read the thread again. I never called it a steak. Read the THREAD "WHOLE TENDERLOIN" 9-10lbs. I did say however, that after its cooked, I "sliced it into 1-2 inch steaks".

So heres an education beyond the fundamentals of "a steak is under 2 inchs thick, and a roast is and entire hunk.... " Gee thanks.. Duhhhhhhhh... Now read on to a graduate course. I bypassed that 3rd year of college with all the big words.

A whole Tenderloin consists of 2 sections. The Butt and the Short, The short is from the tail end, (the narrow part of the tenderloin) to about 2/3 up the cut. The butt is the widest part of the tenderloin, usually the top 1/3. Filet mignons can be cut from either the wide ends of the short, or any part of the butt. Medallions/tournados are cut from the narrower end of the short. As you get to the tail, they become known as tenderloin tips. In the case of a small Butt end, with a decent chateaubriand, medallions can be cut from the narrow end of a butt also. A medallion is under 2 inchs across, over 2 inchs is considered a filet mignon.

In the middle of the whole tenderloin is a cleaner, leaner section. It can be the end of either the short or the butt. This section is usually sliced and used in Cheteaubriand.

So after i cooked the tenderloin, as a whole tenderloin... as stated....

I sliced it into(read title), Kickass filet mignon.

Nuff said.. :mrgreen:

Go watch wrestling