PDA

View Full Version : Just bought some welders gloves....

DirtyDirty00
09-04-2011, 01:23 PM
From a flea market. Hope the guy knew what he was talking about. I'll find out tomorrow when I reach into the firebox and grab a piece of smoldering wood!

colonel00
09-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Welders gloves are nice but don't think they are fire proof.

gambler
09-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I just use regular old leather work gloves when handling the fire. I'll grab most of the smoldering pieces of wood with tongs, but once in a while you'll need the dexterity of your fingers. As long as you grab move and release quickly, you shouldn't have a problem. But if for some reason the heat penetrates the gloves, remove them quickly. The leather will continue to heat up even after you let go of the wood.

Chef Country
09-04-2011, 03:16 PM
yep it takes them longer to get hot but remember they will stay hot longer and they can get hotter their made to shield your hands from the heat not made to grab a hold of the heat

petie
09-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Use them not only when cooking but for putting wood in the fireplace in winter. Oh yeah I weld with them to. If they get really hot shuck em off quick. The heat will make em shrink really quick.

If it didn't matter it wouldn't matter!!!

jestridge
09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
I keep telling my student don't handle hot metal with their goves it will make the leather hard.

caseydog
09-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Welders gloves are nice but don't think they are fire proof.

+1

I love my welder's gloves for BBQ tasks. And, I keep them with me near my campfires, and if a log rolls out of the campfire, I can pick it up very carefully, and VERY QUICKLY toss it back on the fire.

Welder's gloves are great, but not capable of miracles. I use metal tools whenever I can, but the welder's gloves are certainly handy around a BBQ or a campfire.

CD

DirtyDirty00
09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
these gloves i bought arent leather. they are a thick fuzzy material. almost like a double insulated cloth type. i bought blue ones and my dad got some other ones that are yellowish (he didnt know i bought them already at the same flea market!)

Pappy
09-04-2011, 08:21 PM
these gloves i bought arent leather. they are a thick fuzzy material. almost like a double insulated cloth type. i bought blue ones and my dad got some other ones that are yellowish (he didnt know i bought them already at the same flea market!)

To bad. You could use them to make snowmen this winter! :becky: