PDA

View Full Version : Resting Time?

Team DD
09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
What is meant by resting time and why is it important? I am still new to the game so I was really curious.

El Lobo
09-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Moisture in the meat gets pulled to the middle when it is heated and leaves the outside dry. Letting it rest allows the juice to flow back out and make the final product juicier over-all.

I'm sure there are better explanations, but that's what I make of it.

Boshizzle
Resting time allows the juices of meat to congeal a little and absorb back into the meat. The rest also allows the meat to continue to cook at a temp that doesn't cause the moisture to evaporate.

For example, if you cook a steak to medium rare and immediately cut into it, the juices will flow out of it. If you cook it to rare and let it rest for about 10 minutes, it will continue to cook to just about medium rare but the juices will flow back into the meat and when you cut it, the juices will not all run out on the plate.

BBQ Bandit
Resting is important on several aspects.

Meats continue to increase in temperature a few degrees out of the fire.
The internal juices will redistribute within and stabilize during the rest.

FYI: If you are a fan of "Chopped"... watch the Chefs slice hot meat (without rest) and watch the juices spill out... leaving meats dry out soon afterwards.

RedRyderBBQ
09-03-2011, 11:14 PM
how long does everyone rest ribs? I usually rest pork and brisket but not ribs

Boshizzle
09-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't rest ribs unless you consider the time I take to glaze them a rest.

Team DD
09-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Okay, thanks for the explanations. As a general rule, how long should a boston butt rest after cooking?

tamadrummer
09-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Okay, thanks for the explanations. As a general rule, how long should a boston butt rest after cooking?

No less than 60m and you can go indefinitely as far as that goes. If you plan to eat the butt the same day, make sure to wrap tightly so as not to lose your juice into the cooler, then wrap in a couple towels and then stuff the cooler full of towels. The more insulated, the hotter it will stay yet the juices will redistribute into the meat and be so awesome you will be amazed!!

(I just did it yesterday, it is truly amazing how well it works.)

OakPit
09-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Resting time allows the juices of meat to congeal a little and absorb back into the meat. The rest also allows the meat to continue to cook at a temp that doesn't cause the moisture to evaporate.

For example, if you cook a steak to medium rare and immediately cut into it, the juices will flow out of it. If you cook it to rare and let it rest for about 10 minutes, it will continue to cook to just about medium rare but the juices will flow back into the meat and when you cut it, the juices will not all run out on the plate.

The rest period takes exactly as long as it takes to drink a 12oz beer...weird.

Mooner
09-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I usually try and rest pork butts for 2 hours. If I am at home I preheat my oven to 200 degrees and then turn it off. Stick your butts in there to rest.

If I am at a comp I use a cambro or a cooler with some towels draped over them.

Always leave them wrapped up real good or in a covered foil pan.