PDA

View Full Version : It followed me home... honest!

BigButzBBQ
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Most of you are probably in the same boat that I'm in. You have a "hobby" that you are really into. Now, for those of us with spouses, you know that having a hobby/obsession can be a difficult thing in your relationship. Mainly because, you either want to be doing it all the time or you could spend your last penny on buying something for it and not even think twice. :rolleyes:
Now, that being said, I'm sure there are a lot of you who are also like me in the respect that, if you really want something you will find some sort of way of making it possible. :becky: Truthfully, I think that is why so many people build UDSs and other cookers. You want a smoker, wouldn't mind a fancy one but, "can't afford it". If not that then you are probably scouring CL daily to find what you are looking for at a really great price. Or, are hiding money away in some sort of secret vault to one day be able to afford what you want.
In my case, it usually involves finding stuff at garage/yard/rummage sales or scrap yards and cleaning it up or using the parts to build something else.
Every year, the local Lions Club holds a giant rummage sale. The best part about this rummage sale is that there are always grills and smokers for sale. Now, I'm not talking high end stuff here but, if you are looking for just parts, this is a great sale. Last year I went to this sale and managed to find an old rusted out 12" sunbeam charcoal grill that I picked up for around $1. The guy who sold it to me thought I was absolutely stupid for doing it because there was no way it would ever hold charcoal again. Lucky for me, I didn't need the bottom, just the lid and grates. :becky:
Used them to build this for my daughter.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/mUDS/mms_picture-3.jpg

After that score, I felt pretty good about my recent creative financing of my hobby. My wife thought it was cute of me to build it for my daughter but, there was a comment of, "did you really need another smoker?" thrown out.
This directly relates to another problem with "hobbies". I don't know about the rest of you but, if I have one thing and I like it, I wouldn't mind having ten of them. I actually have the parts for 1 or 2 more UDS laying around. Haven't picked up the barrels for them yet but, that could be quickly fixed. What stops me from building them is mainly that I already have 2 and that I know there would be "discussion" in regard to my "hobby". :shocked: On the upside, it's easy to stop yourself from building something when you already have it but, there are those times you come across something you don't have and can't stop yourself from buying it.
This weekend is the annual rummage sale again. Lastnight, my oldest and I were left unattended with little to do. We decided it would be fun to go check out the sale and maybe catch a HS football game. When I went to the sale, I was actually looking to pick up a Smokey Joe or some sort of 12" grill to possibly build another mUDS for my youngest. Figured, it's easier to get away with it when it's "for the kids". :heh:
No luck but, I did manage to find a couple of things that I would not have expected to be there and, yes, I just had to have them.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/WGA%20Project/mms_picture-3.jpg
The WGA is rock solid. No rust through at all. No sticking on the vents. Looks like it was most likely kept in someones basement but, was definitely used A LOT. The shelf was a totally unexpected find. There was no grill nearby that it belonged to. It was just there by itself. $5 and they were both mine! :thumb:
I've wanted a WGA for a while now. Mainly thanks to Phu. My thought was, it would be great for small cooks and camping. Not to mention, it's a WGA! How is that just not cool in iteslf? :nod:
Unfortunately, it has caused a "discussion" to occur with my "hobby". Mainly being that why do I need to have all of these smokers and grills? And no, "because they are awesome" isn't going to work, I tried that. I've also mentioned I don't have as many as some others, that didn't work either. Looks like I'm just going to have to take my beating from a 2x4 and like it. :becky:

malibuskier
09-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Time and money spent on smokers is much better than time & money spent in bars! That usually alters the "discussion" in my house. A hobby is something to keep you out of trouble. Sounds like trouble is a long way off for you!:laugh:

Dave

Phubar
09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Scooooooooooooooooooore!!!!!
You can't walk away from a WGA...certainly if you don't own one yet!
Wooden handles too!
That's awesome news Butsz!
Welcome to the club!
I know you gonna enjoy the WGA!

BigButzBBQ
09-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Scooooooooooooooooooore!!!!!
You can't walk away from a WGA...certainly if you don't own one yet!
Wooden handles too!
That's awesome news Butsz!
Welcome to the club!
I know you gonna enjoy the WGA!

I know! It's a classic but, thinking about doing a "fix up" on it. I got spare handles laying around. Have even thought about getting some handles from MartyLeach for it. If it were a car, I know original is always the way to go but, with grills, it's a tough call at times.

Phubar
09-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Yeah...my WGA is allready Marty handled.

Make sure when you carry the WGA the legs must pass those little bump thingies on the lid otherwise you might drop the bottom half of the WGA on the ground.
Believe me...I know!:cool:
After you shut down the WGA it will cool down real quick...great feature when you're doing a picnic or something.
If you place the charcoal great upside down it will sit firmer than the other way around.
Play with the airvents for direct/indirect setup...works perfect!
The rectangular shape makes this small cooker efficient.

btcg
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Good score!

ianjoe
09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Great find! Fortunately my wife doesn't really have a problem with my grills and smokers. Probably cause she knows that the "discussion" would lead to how many shoes does one woman need.
Also, for you, wouldn't this qualify as a business expense?:tongue:

Shawn
09-03-2011, 12:35 PM
It's a disease...

PatAttack
09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Tom, you're doing what makes you happy... And you're doing it with you're family.

I love the lil' Lola smoker! Great score's, man!

How's the Carolina Mustard Sauce coming?

Phubar
09-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Change your sig allready!!!:becky:

BigButzBBQ
09-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Tom, you're doing what makes you happy... And you're doing it with you're family.

I love the lil' Lola smoker! Great score's, man!

How's the Carolina Mustard Sauce coming?

Get you some Big Butz Carolina Magic (Sauce mix & Seasoning)! Toss in some vinegar and mustard, pow! :becky:

mbshop
09-03-2011, 05:18 PM
being the nice guy that i are, and i would hate to see you get the 2x4 pursuation treatment, you can send the wga to me. that way 3 folks are happy. yer wife, you and lastly me ! what a deal !