PDA

View Full Version : Weber Gasser Side Burner Help

NS Mike D
09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I replaced the side burner on my weber gasser last year and from the start, the mix of air to propane was off and I get a yellow flame that leaves a thick coat of carbon on my pots.

I was in contact with weber, and they cannot help as they are not aware of any way to adjust the mix.

Since I am a dummy when it comes to plumbing, perhaps some of you bretheren might come up with a simple fix.

swamprb
09-02-2011, 12:28 PM
There is no way to adjust anything as the tee to the side burner splits off at the manifold. Take it apart and clean the line for a start.

BigBobBQ
09-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Burner Adjustment: Yellow flame can be caused by a bad mixture of gas and air. This can be typically fixed by adjusting the burner air intact. To adjust the burners on your gas grill you are probably going to have to get under or inside the grill. The adjustment point is where the burner connects to the grill manifold (usually right behind the control valves). Gas grills come in a number of configurations and you may need to consult your manual to find the adjustment screw. This screw holds a sleeve in place. This metal sleeve is slotted and when the screw is loosened you should be able to rotate it. So that you can clearly see the flame remove the cooking grates and barrier over the burners.

With the grill off and cool, loosen the screw and rotate the adjustment sleeve. Tighten the screw and relight the grill. Wait a minute for the flame to settle in and see if you still have yellow flame. If you do, repeat the process until the yellow is almost eliminated. Good flame is predominately blue but may have yellow tips. Once you have that burner burning mostly blue repeat for the other burners.

Cleaning the BurnersIf this doesn't fix the yellow flame issue you might have debris inside the burners or burnt on grease or food on the outside of the burner. This can block the ports (holes running along the side of the burner). This forces the gas out of the unblocked holes causing an excess of pressure that leads to yellow flame. Inspect the burners to make sure they are not damaged or rusted. If they are you will need to replace them.

You might be able to gently brush the outside of the burners to remove the debris, but chances are you will have to remove the burners entirely and clean out the inside. This can be a simple or complicated task depending on the build of your grill. You will want to consult a manual to see how all this goes together. When removing the burners be gentle. You don't want to damage a perfectly good burner. With the burner out use a thin wire or pipe cleaner to remove all the debris from inside the burner. If you wash the burner or use water on it make sure you dry it completely before putting it back in the grill. You might want to take a little preventive measure and coat the outside of the burner lightly with cooking oil.