PDA

View Full Version : Best barbeque sauce

ALLENY
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I have been on a quest for the best bbq sauce. I generally like mine sweey and spicy, but i do like all types. Sweet, mustard, spicy etc... Any suggestions????

Durzil
09-02-2011, 12:39 AM
I like texas rib rangers sweet spicey sauce for a nice spicey bbq sauce.

ALLENY
09-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Where can i get tis sauce?

IamMadMan
09-02-2011, 07:14 AM
I have been on a quest for the best bbq sauce. I generally like mine sweey and spicy, but i do like all types. Sweet, mustard, spicy etc... Any suggestions????

For commercially prepared sauces I like "Butch's Sweet and Spicy".

You can also message them and they also sell in 1 Gallon Bottles jugs.

http://smackyourlipsbbq.com/

Stevebny
09-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Burning Asphalt's "Louisiana".

tamadrummer
09-02-2011, 07:35 AM
I know a lot here said they hate Sonny's BBQ. I like them and their Sizzlin Sweet sauce with extra of their hot mixed in make for a great sauce.

SouthernMagicBBQ
09-02-2011, 07:38 AM
The best sauces here in Bama are from 2 local places. One is Bob Sykes. A good all around sauce that tastes great hot or cold. The next is from Dreamland Bar-B-Q. It's not unusual to see people sopping up the sauce from their plate with bread and eating it. It is lightly sweet with a hint of vinegar but puts heat in your mouth in the end. Both have websites and sell the sauces and meats online. Of course, Stubb's Original is a winner too.

Lake Dogs
09-02-2011, 07:49 AM
For recipes, take a look at this. It's a long thread, but LOTS of good recipes:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99442&highlight=infernooo

"the best sauce", quite a bit of it has to do with what you want to accomplish with sauce (most people dont think of it this way). For example, in competitions, 99% of the time the winner of the sauce competition doesn't win the barbecue competition.

If you're looking for a sauce that tastes great, all on it's own, it'll more than likely taste pretty good on lots of things (like bread at Dreamland above). However, more often than not, the flavors are strong enough that they largely mask or cover the actual flavor of most meat.

Also, it has a lot to do with how/what you're barbecuing (which isn't grilling, by the way), because some sauces, particularly those with artificial smoke flavorings in them, can conflict with the flavors of the meat and/or spices you've used in rubs or injections.

With that said, I've found that my barbecue has plenty of smoke flavor all on it's own. Sauces like Head Country are extremely good Kansas City style sauces, and I'll use them sometimes on things like hotdogs or hamburgers, I'd never use it on my barbecue, because the smoke flavors conflict and end up being just too much.

I make my own (reference thread above), however for just one sauce, over-the-counter, I prefer Blues Hog Tennessee Red. Vinegar sauce, but not purely a vinegar sauce, with a nice bite to it, and can applied very thin so that it doesn't mask the meat flavor.

One I haven't tried yet but is very interesting is: Chris Lilly's "Big Bob Gibson BBQ Vinegar Sop Mop"

Jason TQ
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
There are 3 or 4 store bought sauces I like. My favorite is Sticky Fingers. They have different varieties and all are great.

tmehlhorn
09-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Hmm for store bought sauce i would have to go with Curleys. Its made here in kansas, has a nice smokiness too it. Honorable mention would be stubbs, sweet baby rays, then cattlemans

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
09-02-2011, 09:08 AM
In the easy to get, store-bought category, Sweet Baby Ray's modified as follows: 3 parts SBR/1 part cider vinegar/1 part Maple Syrup is pretty dang good for a tangy sweet sauce.

lrbergin
09-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I would have to say if you like sweet/spicey sauces, then Oklahoma Joe's "Night of the Living BBQ" scauce is hard to beat.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/oj/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=e6723b33796c3fc0cc5eae54a596f034

expatpig
09-02-2011, 10:04 AM
The eternal question, the best barbecue sauce is the one that YOU like the best.

speedrcer1
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm a fan of Draper's
http://drapersbbq.com/

Smoothsmoke
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Head Country HOT

deguerre
09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
BigButzBBQ - His NoButz simply can not be beat for my tastes. Plus, he's a Brethren member.

http://bigbutzbbqsauce.net/

Big Kahuna
09-02-2011, 10:29 AM
X2. Ordered a bunch of BigButz in July, looks like I'm going to have to reorder running low :thumb:

Kenny Rogers
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I have yet to try an off the shelf bbq sauce that I liked. I think it has to do with the freshness of ingredients. One of my favorite bbq sauces is bbq pit boys Vodka sauce... WOW

W5IEI
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Blues hog Tennessee Red,Blues hog original mixed 50/50.

Q-Dat
09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I agree with Lake Dogs. Traditional red sauces tend to be very strong, which is a good thing when you are talking about dipping chicken nuggets or other such fare. But when you have a beautifully smoked pork butt that is all pulled and ready to become a sandwich, its just too much for my taste. Unless a very small amount is used.

I rarely buy sauce and almost always make my own, just because its so easy to do, and I don't have to subject my tastebuds to liquid smoke. I do keep some cheap store bought on hand for mixing into the beans.

All in all though, if a sauce pleases you and yours then that is what you should use.

Turky1
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
For commercial sauce, my favorite has always been Interstate BBQ. I like the thin & tangy approach.

T

Lake Dogs
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks Q-Dat. I was talking with my mother a month or two about and she was recalling "the best barbecue she'd EVER had". I remember it well. The ribs were burned on the outside, barely done on the inside, fatty, greasy, gristly. Best barbecue? Oh, but wait. You could smother them in the sauce that day, and the sauce was absolutely AWESOME, and thankfully it completely smothered and covered the flavor of anything you put it on. We could've put it on cardboard and it still would've been "the best barbecue" my mom had ever eaten.

So, sauce is sauce, and great sauces are that. However, great barbecue may or may not have sauce on it, and usually if it does it's very little sauce.

Me, I carry usually a gallon of Head Country HOT in fridge, as well as a gallon of Blues Hog Original and another of Blues Hog Tennessee Red (which goes fastest) and another of my concoction. The HC HOT is for things like burgers, and hotdogs (yes, its great on dogs), and sometimes on sammies of this type or another. The BH's and my concoctions are for BARBECUE.

We barbecue and cook for masses. Even small get togethers (like tomorrow afternoon), I'll make shish kabobs for 20 people.

Best of luck on your journey, ALLENY.

deguerre
09-02-2011, 11:53 AM
I agree with Lake Dogs. Traditional red sauces tend to be very strong, which is a good thing when you are talking about dipping chicken nuggets or other such fare. But when you have a beautifully smoked pork butt that is all pulled and ready to become a sandwich, its just too much for my taste. Unless a very small amount is used.

I rarely buy sauce and almost always make my own, just because its so easy to do, and I don't have to subject my tastebuds to liquid smoke. I do keep some cheap store bought on hand for mixing into the beans.

All in all though, if a sauce pleases you and yours then that is what you should use.

Thanks Q-Dat. I was talking with my mother a month or two about and she was recalling "the best barbecue she'd EVER had". I remember it well. The ribs were burned on the outside, barely done on the inside, fatty, greasy, gristly. Best barbecue? Oh, but wait. You could smother them in the sauce that day, and the sauce was absolutely AWESOME, and thankfully it completely smothered and covered the flavor of anything you put it on. We could've put it on cardboard and it still would've been "the best barbecue" my mom had ever eaten.

So, sauce is sauce, and great sauces are that. However, great barbecue may or may not have sauce on it, and usually if it does it's very little sauce.

Me, I carry usually a gallon of Head Country HOT in fridge, as well as a gallon of Blues Hog Original and another of Blues Hog Tennessee Red (which goes fastest) and another of my concoction. The HC HOT is for things like burgers, and hotdogs (yes, its great on dogs), and sometimes on sammies of this type or another. The BH's and my concoctions are for BARBECUE.

We barbecue and cook for masses. Even small get togethers (like tomorrow afternoon), I'll make shish kabobs for 20 people.

Best of luck on your journey, ALLENY.

Well, yeah. But the OP was just a question about sauce...not necessarily it's application. My personal favorite use is as a dip for a plate full of nice super greasy deep fried steak fries.:becky:

che22879
09-02-2011, 11:56 AM
My go to store bought sauce is Bull's Eye Original. Sweet Baby Rays is second. When I want it spicy I mix in some Sriracha, turns out great.

Frank Grimes
09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
I would have to say if you like sweet/spicey sauces, then Oklahoma Joe's "Night of the Living BBQ" scauce is hard to beat.

http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/oj/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=e6723b33796c3fc0cc5eae54a596f034

Good call, that is one of my favorite sauces ever. Great flavor, great heat at the end.

bigsapper
09-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I like Rudy's Original Sause...
https://rudysbbq.com/store/c-2-sause.aspx

Also, check out this thread for more discussion...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1201575_RECIPE__BBQ_Sauce_s_.html

JMSetzler
09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
My favorite sweet and spicy sauce is as follows:

Orange Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

1 Jar of your favorite Orange Marmalade (I used Smuckerís)
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/3 cup Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
1/4 cup molasses
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Let boil slowly for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat to cool. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. This recipe makes about a quart.

It's great stuff!

deguerre
09-02-2011, 02:13 PM
My favorite sweet and spicy sauce is as follows:

Orange Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

1 Jar of your favorite Orange Marmalade (I used Smuckerís)
1 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1/3 cup Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
1/4 cup molasses
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tbsp honey
2 cloves finely minced garlic
Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a slow boil over medium heat. Let boil slowly for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat to cool. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge. This recipe makes about a quart.

It's great stuff!

Oooooo...that's good. For a change I think I'd nix the catsup and crush a couple fresh tomatos instead and substitute sour orange juice for the water.

ALLENY
09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Thank you for your advice. I will try both some of the commercial sauces as well as the home made recipes.

frognot
09-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Another vote for Head Country original and Blues Hog (both the original & TN Red)

captndan
09-03-2011, 06:48 AM
If I want a red sauce I use a Tony Roma clone.

humdogj
09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
I recently picked up some Jimmy J's Razorback sauce. Good stuff. Not overpowering with a nice little heat on the back end. It's a rib sauce per se and not so much a barbecue sauce...I guess.

http://www.jimmyjsauces.com/

Wampus
09-03-2011, 09:06 AM
My favorite sauces are:

Big Butz HOT
Blues Hog Original
Big Butz Cranberry

I like to mix the Big Butz Hot and Cranberry for the sweet and spicy.

Tom makes some REALLY great stuff up north!:thumb:

sandiegobbq
09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I have yet to try an off the shelf bbq sauce that I liked. I think it has to do with the freshness of ingredients. One of my favorite bbq sauces is bbq pit boys Vodka sauce... WOW

This is why one should consider making your own sauces.
Once you have it down you will have customized it to your own taste
and it doesn't have any chemicals or preservatives.

That and it probably will taste better than any of the commercial
stuff.

drapersbbq
09-06-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm a fan of Draper's
http://drapersbbq.com/

Thanks Don, had I known you had mentioned me here this weekend I would have posted about our sale. I'll leave the sale prices up through tonight for good measure though just in case any of the Brethren want to give our stuff a try.

Smokizona
09-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Off the shelf is Sweet Baby Rays Chipotle or Famous Daves Devils Spit. Best Az local sauce is anything from Joes Real BBQ.

Sledneck
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Grills blazin sauce from rest depot

devious
09-06-2011, 05:46 PM
i tried some great value (walmart brand) original last weekend, my buddy kept telling me how good it was, and that it won 1st place in a recent blind taste test. Ill have to admit. it was pretty good.. i think he paid .88 cents for it. try it you might like it.

twinsfan
09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
In the easy to get, store-bought category, Sweet Baby Ray's modified as follows: 3 parts SBR/1 part cider vinegar/1 part Maple Syrup is pretty dang good for a tangy sweet sauce.

per a small bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce:

1 cup of Orange Juice
1/2 a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
teaspoon + of ground black pepper (make sure there's plenty)
1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
Cayenne or Hot Sauce to taste

Everyone who's ever tried it likes it a lot, noting it's complex like a "fancy NY BBQ restaurant" :doh: very tangy and still sweet, with appropriate kick

jestridge
09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Best is kinda catch word what some people like other don't . For me I like SBW or Cattleman . I bought some Montgromery Inn the other day didn't care for it