PDA

View Full Version : Smoke or Rub?

ddog27
04-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I have heard this debated before so I thought I would ask:

What do you think gives the meat more flavor: the smoke or the rub?

Bill-Chicago
04-25-2005, 12:54 PM
My .02

Both.

Smoke gives a smoke ring of flavor, rub, depending on whats in it, gives it spice flavor, sweet flavor, etc, and can contribute to bark production if loaded with sugar.

So I think they add different things, not more of one type of flavor

Arlin_MacRae
04-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Yup, what Bill said.

Ron_L
04-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Yeah... What Bill Said...

Don't forget things like marinades or brines... The butt I did over the weekend was brined for 36 hours and then cooked without a rub. It still had a decent bark with nice flavor form the brine and the smoke.

spicewine
04-25-2005, 05:13 PM
It's best with both as long as one doesn't over power the other. Look for a good balance and let the seasonings and sauce complement the good smoke flavor of the meat.

The_Kapn
04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
It's best with both as long as one doesn't over power the other. Look for a good balance and let the seasonings and sauce complement the good smoke flavor of the meat.
AMEN!!!!

TIM

spicewine
04-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Should have said " Preachin' to the Choir Mod."

Bigdog
04-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Should have said " Preachin' to the Choir Mod."

Just so the choir is not a barber shop quartet. :twisted:

The use of a sauce, rub, brine, marimade etc. and smoke is where the art of smoking comes in. Everyday likes different things, so it is not suprising that there are so many ways to cook. No one is best, they are just different techniques. You can add lots of flavor with most any of the techniques, just depends on how much you add. Most of us agree that you should not over do it with any one thing.

nucleargeek
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I beleive that the rub or spice is the primary flavor messenger. We can all smoke by "low and slow". It's the difference of spice flavor that separates good from great bbq. Only one man's opinion though.

G$
04-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I will answer by saying that I rely on the rub much more than I do on the smoke. For expert and accomplished pitmasters, the smoke may be much more important. For me, the rub is more important because in my opinion it is more predictable.

This is not the "best case" answer, just my answer. Of course they are both (in addition to sauce, and oh yeah, the meat) an important part of the whole.