PDA

View Full Version : Paul Kirk - Baron of BBQ School, your thoughts

Two Bears
08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Hey all any experience with this school of BBQ? I have a chance to go to it in a town close to me and would like to know if you liked the class or if you gained usable knowledge from it.
http://www.baron-of-bbq.com/

MilitantSquatter
08-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Check out these threads... I missed his class when he was in NY for a Brethren class a few years back, but I was always a big fan of his books and had the good fortune of picking his brain for about an hour when he was in NY earlier this month. If I had the opportunity again, I'd likely take the class even if it was the basics as I'm sure I'd pick up a few things, make me think a bit more and just have a good time etc.

Several previous thread links posted within the first link below

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91726&highlight=paul+kirk+class

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102660&highlight=paul+kirk+class

btcg
08-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Good topic. I think I might just do one of his October classes. I'll report on it, if I can.

PigTamer
08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Two Bears, is he offering a class in MN????

btcg
08-30-2011, 05:40 PM
Any other brothers want to do one of the Oct classes?

Frankbbq
08-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Paul's basic class is very good. It is an excellent begining to advanced Intermediate class. Ask good questions and you will learn more. Remember to take notes.

Two Bears
08-31-2011, 02:21 AM
Two Bears, is he offering a class in MN????

Yes there is one scheduled. If you are interested PM me with your email address and I will send you the information.

btcg
08-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Just spoke with Mr. John Dance, as to the Versailles, KY class, and I am definitely doing the class. If any of you are interested in attending, I'd be willing to do ride sharing (if you live in the Maryland or Virginia area (and sharing a room, as well).

The class price is very reasonable: $250.00

Sharing the gas & hotel fees will make it even better.

PM me (and it better be soon) if interested.

Two Bears
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Just spoke with Mr. John Dance, as to the Versailles, KY class, and I am definitely doing the class. If any of you are interested in attending, I'd be willing to do ride sharing (if you live in the Maryland or Virginia area (and sharing a room, as well).

The class price is very reasonable: $250.00

Sharing the gas & hotel fees will make it even better.

PM me (and it better be soon) if interested.

Glad you got in. Price is good too.

MrSmoker
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
I took it in 2005 and started competing shortly after, I had very good success until I had to quit due the health problems.

btcg
08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Glad you got in. Price is good too.

The price is excellent! Googled it, and Versailles is an 8.5 hour road trip from where I live.

Great opportunity for any Maryland or VA brothers. Training by a 7-time World Champion for a mere $250.00.

Class date(s) October 28th & 29th

btcg
09-01-2011, 09:41 AM
This is a quick bump for this thread.

I sent my payment in yesterday, and I'm counting the days until the class.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the interest level as to this class: I expected that there would be much, much more interest.

You read so many comments by those lamenting the typical cost of a class like this (usually $750.00) given by a world champion, and yet, Paul's class is but a fraction of that ($250.00), and Paul has more world championships under his belt than a Myron Mixon and Johnny Trigg combined: the man is a 7-time world champion.

I believe that we could do something similar to what we did for the Jack's Old South class last year. I have room for 2 people (got a Santa Fe SUV) in my vehicle, and 3 of us could share a hotel suite and split the cost. This could make the trip quite economical.

To me, this will be the 3rd world champion that I've been trained by.

Any class in any field that is given by a knowledgeable individual is a real plus.

The opportunity to be trained by a world champion, and especially a 7-time world champion is, to me, beyond words as to an opportunity.

And given this, even if no one else here goes, I'm still counting the days.

h20loo
09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Anybody familiar with the Versailles, KY area- anything interesting for the wife to do within daytrip distance?

Mark
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Is he related to Captain Kirk?

btcg
09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Anybody familiar with the Versailles, KY area- anything interesting for the wife to do within daytrip distance?

I was wondering the same thing, about the area, and such. I hope Versailles is as cool as Perry, Georgia.

You haven't lived until you spend 3 days in Perry and Unadilla, y'all.

Groundhog66
09-01-2011, 11:19 AM
I'll carpool if you can swing by and pick me up, I'd love to go :becky:

btcg
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
LOL,

Best I could do bro, would be to pick up from whatever airport is local for Versailles.

bigsapper
09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Cwap. They have a class coming up in a few weeks right where I'm at. All ready full and the POC email bounces.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Depends on what you want to learn. If you want to learn how to make sauces, rub and bbq better than its a good beginner class.

If you want to compete and win in KCBS style contests, better off with Swamp Boys, Pellet Envy, I-Que, Trigg, etc.

I've taken a number of classes including Paul's but its just my opinion.