PDA

View Full Version : A gift

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 06:03 PM
A friend of mine just bought a nice char-broil horizontal offset for $50 from a friend of hers so she gave me the Samsonite electric smoker pictured below. Judging from the pictures, what would you suggest that I do to make this an efficient charcoal/wood chunk smoker.

As you can see, the electric element is already out. Feel free to ask questions!

Mista

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Nobody has any ideas, huh?

The_Kapn
04-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Nobody has any ideas, huh?
Actually--I do. Just Pondering :lol:
Looks like a poor man's WSM to me at first look.
If you could put a firegrate in the bottom and some adjustable air intakes--it might work.
How about a couple of peices of pipe with valves for intakes???
Or- just punch a couple of larger holes in the bottom section, cut a couple of sheet metal "flapper valves" and screw them on (one pivot screw each with a spring for tension)??
Would not take a whole lot of intake air.

Too good to pass up on till the Brother's think it thru with you!

TIM

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Tim,

The two silver doors on the side slide up and down. Unfortunately they are one pice of metal so they slide together.

There is also a hole in back towrds the bottom where the electrical heating element was. Will that help at all?

BrooklynQ
04-22-2005, 08:23 PM
I had a suggestion - but it disappeared into cyberspace.

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Old Timer's disease kicking in?

The_Kapn
04-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Tim,

The two silver doors on the side slide up and down. Unfortunately they are one pice of metal so they slide together.

There is also a hole in back towrds the bottom where the electrical heating element was. Will that help at all?
Niel--I am just "wingin' it" here, but:

The 2 silver doors are for side access, like the one on the WSM. Probably no good for airflow and in the wrong place vertically.
You familiar with the WSM? It has 3 small air intakes on the lower section. We open them to get the temps up, then they wind up almost totally closed during the cook. Very little air required due to the closed system used by WSM.

It would seem to me that if you could get similar intake air and good control of it--that would be a big step. A single hole is a start--still need a valve of some sort for control.

Also would need a firegrate and some sort of "ring" to complete the WSM metaphor.

Just thoughts-----------any one else "Pondering" constructively?????

TIM

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok I understand that the big metal bowl is the waterpan. What is the silver plate with the hole in the center for?

roknrandy
04-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Mista, I've got a copy of the owners manul for your new toy. Do you want me to email it to you?

chad
04-22-2005, 09:27 PM
The silver thing is probably a grease catch pan to keep the electric element clean.

Bigmista
04-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanx Randy but I have the manual but it's for the Electric model.

TK suggested getting a Smokey Joe charcoal grate for the bottom. Just gotta figure out how to control the air flow...

Wayne
04-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I have tasted some mighty good 'Q that came from electric smokers that use wood chips for flavor. I have a nephew that smokes big chunks of cheese in one and boy is it ever good. I am not sure that a wood fired pit can do a good job of that. I would give the electric thing a try first. It just might surprise you. I smoke with wood in an offset pit because it is fun, but an electric might be nice for those times when I want BBQ but do not have the time to keep the fire stoked right.

BBQchef33
04-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Thats really a MECO Electric Smoker marketed witha Samsonite name on it. Try it the way its designed before converting it. It works similar to the brinkman electric smokers and can do some decent stuff, especially for a "set and forget" thingy.

The silver thing with the hole in it is a deflector plate to help it heat more evenly when you use it as a grill. It goes under the heating element. (I think). You can also lay wood chips on it when using it for smoking(goes below the water pan.... or leave it out and just drop chunks in the lower base. If you eliminate the center section, and use just the base and lid, it converts to the "lock and go" electric grill.

Bigmista
04-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Guess I'll have to go back and find the cord then and put the heating element back in.

BTW...welcome back Poobah!

BBQchef33
04-23-2005, 12:56 AM
I jsut did a search..."Meco Electric Smoker" theres lots of stuff for it.

Test where the deflector fits best, Im not sure if it went above or below the element. But its definatley used for grilling to distribute the heat. Been a few years since i've seen it.

Solidkick
04-23-2005, 07:44 AM
The silver thing with the hole in it is a deflector plate to help it heat more evenly when you use it as a grill. It goes under the heating element. (I think).

Yes it is.

Meco's web site: http://www.meco.net/MECO/grills/Smokers.htm

I have one........In mine, the deflector plate comes out and you can use a charcoal pan, sets in knotches that are in the inside part of the legs.

It looks like you are missing one cooking grate, you can pick one up at your local Home Depot or Lowes. Also, you can drill 3 holes and install 3 L brackets and add another cooking level between the the 2 exsisting levels.

You can use chunks with this electric.......soak for 30 mins to an hour and lay the chunks right on the heating element.

I know I've got pics of my electric in action somewhere, I'll see if I can find them........

Bigmista
04-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Thank everyone for all of your help. I'll have to ask her if she can find the cord.

The_Kapn
04-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Niel,
As you can see, the electric element is already out. Feel free to ask questions!
I read this as "electric element is broken".
That is why I was thinking conversion to charcoal.
If it works--sure--give it a shot.
Much easier than cutting sheet metal!

TIM

Bigmista
04-23-2005, 11:17 AM
It was loose so I just pulled it out. My mindset was convert it to charcoal so I can use it as an extra smoker this summer when I try to compete.

DodgeCity
04-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Howdy,

I converted my electric last year. I used the grates out of my old brinkman in the bottom to make a firegrate. Because of the slope at the bottom the grates sat about 2" off the baootom to allow for airflow and ash buildup. Where the element was taken out allows for the perfect place to install an airvent for air control. Email me and I'll try to get some digital's of my setup for you. By the way I have recently added my old brinkman to the mix by just stacking it on top of the old Charbroil and now have a double stacker and 5 cooking grates.

Patrick
Wichita, Kansas

chad
04-23-2005, 11:42 AM
OK Patrick -- go to Cattle Call. :D

You've come out of lurk mode -- introduce yourself.