PDA

View Full Version : Rib vending

chambersuac
08-28-2011, 06:49 AM
I am vending at our local festival next weekend. I have had a lot of requests lately to have ribs. I've gotten a reputation for having well, Simply Marvelous ribs :becky:

For those who vend them, do you use spares or baby backs? If spares, which I am gonna do, as I got a really good price on them, do you trim STL style? If so, what do you do with the tips, etc?

Also, how do you sell/serve them? I'm thinking one or two bones in a "boat"?????????

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

billm
08-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I am vending at our local festival next weekend. I have had a lot of requests lately to have ribs. I've gotten a reputation for having well, Simply Marvelous ribs :becky:

For those who vend them, do you use spares or baby backs? If spares, which I am gonna do, as I got a really good price on them, do you trim STL style? If so, what do you do with the tips, etc?

Also, how do you sell/serve them? I'm thinking one or two bones in a "boat"?????????

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks!
the few times we vended we sold spares..cut to STL and sold the tips as well..of course tips are a big sell around Chicago ..not sure your area Dan

chambersuac
08-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks, Bill - how'd you sell them - ribs and/or rib tips?

twinsfan
08-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I was thinking the same. I sold a few racks of spares last weekend, but that's it. I'm stuck paying $4 a pound for ribs here! Not a great profit margain.

I think two ribs is pretty weak. I give people 4-5 ribs, almost half a rack. It's worth it because people understand you're not scamming them.

JimmyDAL
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
How many Racks do You Plan to Vend? How you holding?

Ken V
08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Dan, at are local ribfest which was last weekend they sold a sample boat of 3 ribs for $7.00, 1/2 slab for $11.00 and full slab for $22.00. All of them sold St. Louis spares.
How are you going to hold?

Ken

chambersuac
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks - I'm not sure about holding right now - either foiled and in a UDS running low or in a heating cabinet (assuming it's working, gonna test it tomorrow). I figure, I'll put them on "in shifts" so I'll have some coming off every 1/2 hour to hour...thoughts???

twinsfan
08-28-2011, 01:55 PM
What I did last week is just start all the ribs at once, and after 4+ hours I transferred them to an upper rack or foiled them, depending on space.. just keep them going that way. I don't know if you're doing this legal, but my HD is liking that idea more then heating cabinets or heat trays.

chambersuac
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
What I did last week is just start all the ribs at once, and after 4+ hours I transferred them to an upper rack or foiled them, depending on space.. just keep them going that way. I don't know if you're doing this legal, but my HD is liking that idea more then heating cabinets or heat trays.

Thanks. I am also serving brisket and pulled pork and smoking in my large smoker - the temps run pretty equal throughout (usually) so moving up won't help. Also, I like the idea of having fresh ribs coming off every so often, so as not to have to hold too long.

Your HD is sounding strange :) As long as they are held above temp, we're good. Yes, I have a license, insurance, etc., so I'm going legal. Too many things can go wrong otherwise.

kurtsara
08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
you can use a uds vending?

chambersuac
08-28-2011, 07:15 PM

Yep, it's a temporary location/permit. As long as the food is cooked and stored properly ON SITE, they are good with it. Last couple of charity cooks we've used them along with my trailered smoker.

billm
08-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks, Bill - how'd you sell them - ribs and/or rib tips?
exactly

smoke it if ya got it
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM

I've been vending out of my fleet of UDSs for the last couple years with no HD problems. I can get 6 butts in each one or 9 racks of ribs.:thumb:

bobaftt
08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
how do yall get pork butts done on site in enough time to vend?

chambersuac
08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Boil them first! :thumb:

Just kidding!

I cook everything hot and fast. Requires getting there really early still, but it works. Also, I start with a few butts and a couple of briskets (this year, ribs, too) and then add more an hour or so later, so I am (usually) never more than an hour from fresh product.

smoke it if ya got it
08-29-2011, 02:59 PM

I sleep with the pits..:icon_blush:

OL' Timer
08-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I do both spares and Baby Backs and sell whole or half racks. They are done hot and fast 2 hour cook foil 1 hr then into warmer at 150° Racks are stagger cook as 4 of each go on every 1 1/2 hours. Butts go on at 4 am high and hot and foiled at 165° done at 11 am Brisket 4 hrs high and hot.

Bbq Bubba
08-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Why would you?

Cook big meats prior to vending, cook small stuff fresh. :thumb:

HBMTN
08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I cut spares and sell by the half $11.50 or full rack $21.00 and sell the whole tip strip for $6.00 They cost me $10 per rack and by the time I put rub and szuce on them and the amount of space they take up along with the labor to trim them I don't feel they are worth doing. I don't think the market in my area would pay more than what I'm charging and I really don't want to charge more than that.

kurtsara
08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I've been vending out of my fleet of UDSs for the last couple years with no HD problems. I can get 6 butts in each one or 9 racks of ribs.:thumb:

I assume you are not in Minnesota then?

chambersuac
08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Why would you?

Cook big meats prior to vending, cook small stuff fresh. :thumb:

Cause not all of us have the awesomeness you do so we are not allowed to cook offsite or hold overnight. Temp licenses are different.

Now I just feel inferior. Thanks. Bubba

twinsfan
08-30-2011, 07:58 PM
I do both spares and Baby Backs and sell whole or half racks. They are done hot and fast 2 hour cook foil 1 hr then into warmer at 150° Racks are stagger cook as 4 of each go on every 1 1/2 hours. Butts go on at 4 am high and hot and foiled at 165° done at 11 am Brisket 4 hrs high and hot.

And they aren't tough? I cooked some spares at 275 F for 3 hours and they weren't done at all. Takes me 4 1/2 hours at 250-275 F to get them nice and tender but not mushy.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-30-2011, 08:19 PM
the only wat to make money vending is to pre cook and re heat on site. I reheat everything on the cooker and thats it. Cut to order. Pricing here is 3 bones 7, 1/2 rack 13 and full rack 23-24. No other way to make MONEY

Bbq Bubba
08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
the only wat to make money vending is to pre cook and re heat on site. I reheat everything on the cooker and thats it. Cut to order. Pricing here is 3 bones 7, 1/2 rack 13 and full rack 23-24. No other way to make MONEY

That's all I was trying to say. :rolleyes:

Bbq Bubba
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Cause not all of us have the awesomeness you do so we are not allowed to cook offsite or hold overnight. Temp licenses are different.

Now I just feel inferior. Thanks. Bubba

No need for the inferiority complex brother. :rolleyes:

U need to learn to circumvent the system. When inspector shows up @ 8 am for inspection & your big meats that have been previously cooked are sitting on the smoker warming up you explain how u showed up @ 2 am and have been cooking all nite.

Work smarter, not harder. :thumb:

chambersuac
08-31-2011, 11:50 AM

U need to learn to circumvent the system. When inspector shows up @ 8 am for inspection & your big meats that have been previously cooked are sitting on the smoker warming up you explain how u showed up @ 2 am and have been cooking all nite.

but...but...but that would be dishonest. :rolleyes:

JS-TX
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Interesting thread, so I guess this is one reason hot and fast Qing came about. Can any of you vendors post pics of your setup/kitchens? Thanks.

HandsomeSwede
10-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Mobile Food trailer with refrig that is HD certified as my commissary. Cook offsite ahead, cool, head to site, reheat and serve.

boogiesnap
10-05-2011, 07:21 PM

between you and me:wink:is this truly an acceptable practice?

assuming one KNOWS how to serve safe. :thumb:

kurtsara
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM

We cook everything overnight for the next day, we will not do anything illegal with our vending operation, if want to start serving at 11:00 am, we put the meat on accordingly and add meat through the night so it is done at different times

OL' Timer
10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
And they aren't tough? I cooked some spares at 275 F for 3 hours and they weren't done at all. Takes me 4 1/2 hours at 250-275 F to get them nice and tender but not mushy.I vend fri, sat and sun and sell 2-3 cases of each and people love my ribs. They are not mushy. I make good money on them as I pay $1.69 to $1.89 for spares and $2.29 for baby backs. I sell both for $17.99 a rack or $9.99 a half.. In the year we have been open we have not had any complaints yet. Lot of these people we know on a first name basis and we always ask was there a problem the last time you bought. I cook at 275° to 300° on my Lang and 250° on my backwoods, which takes about 6 hours total.