PDA

View Full Version : hawaian pulled pork questions

LT72884
08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
How owuld one do a hawaian style pulled pork on the smoker. Just with a pork butt, not a whole pig. Whats a good rub for a hawaian flavor? Is there such thing as bananna powder?

thanks guys

mbshop
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
if its gonna be wraped then you need to use sea salt and some liquid smoke. almost any asian/mexican store carries frozen banana leaves. just search kalua pork and you will find a lot of info !

btcg
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
How bout a pineapple sauce that can be poured on?

mbshop
08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
if you like pineapple, i suppose you could do that. understand that pineapple is not "hawaiian". never used in kalua pork and most hawaiians never use it.

Smokin_Butts
08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Kalua pig, or atleast all of the kalua pig I have had while living in Hawaii the last few years has not had a distinct "Hawaiian taste" at all. It just tastes like a rosted pig. Most of the time meat is cooked with Kiawe wood "kee-ya-vey" and if I am not mistaken the wood is a relative of the mesquite tree. I use it and a bit of hickory with lump coal on my butts! Anyways there is not a really differnt flavor to it. It is damn good though!

mbshop
08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
intersting. course things do change but i remember that it used to have a distinct taste. know that it should. so if it tastes like regular pork then something for sure was not added. imu pork actually has very little smoke to it.

LT72884
08-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Ok, so let me ask this. if it just has a roasted pork taste to it, how could i replicate that with my smoker? My guess is to BBQ it low and slow but none to little smoke to give it that authentic roasted flavor. OR i could rotisserie it over mesquite charcoal.

If it is wrapped, why sea salt and not kosher? Is wrapped really a good way to go? Maybe i can use the bananna leaves as a "plank" and still get the ice bark.

thanx guys

Mikey063
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I found some links for the wood. You would need some banana pulp, and leaves plus other stuff to make an authentic imu. http://www.bbqjunkie.com/bbq-recipe/hawaiian-kalua-pig/

mbshop
08-27-2011, 08:13 PM
well, the hawaiians use sea salt. they use banana leaves to keep in the juices and to impart a taste. if you want bark then its not really kalua pork. really, you need to read what it is, then experiment and see what you like as at the end its really what you like to eat, not what someone tells you what or how to do it.

Mikey063
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
I lived in Hawaii on and off for 10 years, we did a bbq every weekend. I loved the lau lau's

LT72884
08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
well, the hawaiians use sea salt. they use banana leaves to keep in the juices and to impart a taste. if you want bark then its not really kalua pork. really, you need to read what it is, then experiment and see what you like as at the end its really what you like to eat, not what someone tells you what or how to do it.

Interesting. I thought kalua was just a name for it, not a technique. Kinda like how pulled pork can be done many ways, including but not limited to a slow cooker. haha. just adding a little heat to the fire here. haha

Ok, now that i know what kalua is, i guess i need to redefine and re-examine what i really wanna do. Im thinking i want a nice flavored butt with a elegant essence of hickory to it. But i wanna feel cool and special and say it was cooked in banana leaves. I would love to cook it over a open fire BUT thats alot of charcoal and wood due to heat loss.

i wonder what a pork butt marinated in teriaki would taste like. haha. I know ribeyes that way are the BEST EVER

EDIT

Thanks for the link. Im going to have to try this method out and see what happens. i think this is what i want.

Woodmonkey
08-27-2011, 08:49 PM
This is very eggdaptible to a smoker and has a fantistic flavor. Been doing this and variations for 20+ years.
Pork, Butt, Kalua Roast Pig If digging a pit in your back yard is out of the question, but you want to go Hawaiian anyway, consider this Kalua Roast Pig. In fact, if you don't confess to the liquid smoke, your guests will start looking for the pit the minute they see the platter of shredded pork.****Ti leaves, long, slender, dark green leaves of the ti tree, are used to encase many foods in Hawaii, such as corn husks are used in Latin American cooking and banana leaves are used in other parts of the world. Leaves not only enclose and protect their contents, but they trap valuable moisture and impart flavor as well.****If ti leaves are not grown in your area, they often can be found in florists shops. If not, consider substituting dried palm leaves, which are frequently sold in oriental markets. INGREDIENTS: 10-15 Ti Leaves, or dried palm leaves, soaked to soften, then shaken dry 41/2-5 Lbs Pork Picnic Shoulder roast or a Boston Shoulder Roast 2 Tsps Coarse Salt, Alea Red is great 1 1/2 Tbs Liquid Smoke 1/4 Cup Water (http://www.radiumtechnologies.com/?$action=Navigate&$target=recipe/ingredient/ingredient/ingredient&$key_column=ingredient_id&$key_value=2249) PROCEDURE: 1 Preheat oven to 300F. Line a deep roasting pan with Ti leaves. 2 Season the pork roast with salt. Cover the meat with ti leaves and tie up with string. Place wrapped meat in pan on top of leaves, then cover meat with more leaves. Pour a mixture made of the liquid smoke and water over the meat and leaves. Seal the pan tightly with tin foil to prevent moisture from escaping. 3 Roast the pork at least 3 hours, until very well done and to the point of overdone The meat is taken off the bones and shredded by hand, never cut with a knife.. Yield: 8-10 Servings Recipe Type Asian, Main Dish, Meat Recipe Source Author: Princess Kaiulani Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii
Source: The Sheraton World Cookbook, 2011/08/17

LT72884
08-27-2011, 09:11 PM
thanx woodmonkey. thats a good read. That way, i can make it on the gaser or at home when i have no smoker avaible in winter.