PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Rib Rub?

twinsfan
08-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm hoping it's homemade, not a store bought brand, but here we go.

I do almost like a sauce. Can of tomato paste, mixed with a little vinegar, mild paprika, some ground S + P, and a few ectsasy pills nice and ground up. I think they give the meat an interesting flavor..........

You guys?

NorCal Q Man
08-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Rub: brown sugar, Paprika, salt, chili powder, cumin, mustard powder, granulated onion, granulated garlic, celery salt.

Sauce: tomato purée, cider vinegar, sugar, molasses, salt, and a lot of those spices mentioned above.

tamadrummer
08-27-2011, 08:06 AM
I vaguely remember you saying you are a cheap son of a gun. If that is the case, buying commercial rub only makes sense. When you have to go out and buy all those ingredients separately, it gets overly expensive.

Go to some of the site sponsors and buy from them! You will find that buying a full pound or more of rub is far, far cheaper than buying the stuff to make them.

If I can, I recommend you look at Oakridge in a very serious way, (KCMike will take care of you and the needy in his area with each order) but there are also Simply Marvelous, Dizzy Pig, Three eyes, Plowboys, and many many others that will fill every crevice of need and do it at a fair value. ( I think more than fair because it is perfection every time, no margin of error like in our own kitchens)

twinsfan
08-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I'll look into some commercials, but I'm a cheapstake where it doesn't count. I can cook with very little charcoal, and I don't buy nice pieces of meat (usually) because with time anything can be nice.

On rubs and sauces, I'm the opposite. Customizing rubs and sauces is the best. One night I'll take a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's and add a cup and a half of orange juice, the next night a Thai curry sauce. Choices are endless, that's where I don't go cheap.

Oldschoolbbq
08-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Ectsasy!!!!!OMG:loco:

PatioDaddio
08-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Of course my favorite is mine (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96878), but a very close second is
Oakridge BBQ's Secret Weapon. Draper's is great, too.

John

Bpig
08-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Of course my favorite is mine (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96878), but a very close second is

John
You just made my day. I have had a butt smoking for 3 hours now using Pecan for smoke(it's way free) and Secret Weapon. I only have a 22.4 Weber OTG and a Smoknator but it really looks fabulous. I have got to get a camera so folks here can tell me what I may be doing wrong.

smokinin614
08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
"ectsasy pills" :doh:...Hope that's a code word for garlic

Crakaveli
08-27-2011, 07:38 PM
I do almost like a sauce. Can of tomato paste, mixed with a little vinegar, mild paprika, some ground S + P, and a few ectsasy pills nice and ground up. I think they give the meat an interesting flavor

:pound:

NorthwestBBQ
08-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Garlic.

Ron_L
08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Plowboy BBQ Yardbird.

Sledneck
08-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Homebbq.com rib rub

caseydog
08-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I just mixed up a batch of Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub, and I'm going to try it out on some St. Louis cut spares tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out. It is different than any rub I have used before, and I like the ingredients, so I am looking forward to tasting the ribs when they get done.

CD

GreenDrake
08-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Yardbird does a great job on the ribcage, I will admit that. Doing side by side benchmarking I found my own rub to be better, much darket due to the coffee I put in it, so I am looking to brighten up my rubs a bit but still love Plowboys and SM rubs very much.

IamMadMan
08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping it's homemade, not a store bought brand, but here we go.

You guys?

I tried homeade rub, sending to different places to get the best spices. Even though I followed exact weights there were always variations in the spices from growing places, growing times, harvest times, ect...

After spending a lot of money on spices to make a rub and still have some inconsistencies, I tried commercial rubs. I found my best bet is to buy a 5 lb package, you will use it and you won't skimp on the applications. I use 10 pounds per summer and another 5 fall through spring. At 5 lbs you get your best price break unless you go with a 25 pound box.

My friend goes through 500 lbs of rub at the Reno Nugget Rib Cook-off, that is where I learned that commercial rubs can be as good and sometimes better than homemade if you buy 5 lbs or more at a time.

Commercially made rub is more consistent due to quality control and testing. They buy spices in extreme quantities, and mix in large "Ton" batches giving more taste consistency to your rub over a long period of time.

My favorite was Butch's Smack Your Lips magic Dust,( http://smackyourlipsbbq.com/ (http://smackyourlipsbbq.com/) ).

I recently purchased Plowboys ( http://www.plowboysbbq.com/ (http://www.plowboysbbq.com/) ) and I am still doing comparisons on them.

BlueHowler
08-27-2011, 09:27 PM
2 Tb. garlic powder
2 Tb. paprika
2 Tb. brown sugar
2 Tb. salt
2 Tb. coarse grind black pepper
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. sage
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. dry mustard
Mix all ingredients well.

If you are asking for a pork rib rub this rub is very good.

devious
08-27-2011, 10:38 PM
i don think hes a sophomore.

boogiesnap
08-27-2011, 10:40 PM
he's not...yet.

still can cook though.

devious
08-27-2011, 11:15 PM
im pretty sure that was his kid in that photo

kcmike
08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
If I can, I recommend you look at Oakridge in a very serious way, (KCMike will take care of you and the needy in his area with each order) but there are also Simply Marvelous, Dizzy Pig, Three eyes, Plowboys, and many many others that will fill every crevice of need and do it at a fair value. ( I think more than fair because it is perfection every time, no margin of error like in our own kitchens)

John

You just made my day. I have had a butt smoking for 3 hours now using Pecan for smoke(it's way free) and Secret Weapon. I only have a 22.4 Weber OTG and a Smoknator but it really looks fabulous. I have got to get a camera so folks here can tell me what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks for using our rubs fellas!! We're thrilled y'all like them so much!! :thumb:

landarc
08-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I use a variety of commercial rubs and take no consideration that it makes me any less of a cook that I do. I keep Simply Marvelous, Plowboys and Todds Dirt rubs around all the time. I also usually get Three Eyz and Dizzy Dusty salt-free and The Rub Company products around. I do need to get my act together and get Oakridge into the mix, as I hear many good things.

For sauce, it is pretty much Big Butz on a daily basis.

smokinit
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Full Throttle Hog Rub hasnt let me down yet.
http://fullthrottlesauce.com/recipes.html

twinsfan
08-28-2011, 01:34 PM
im pretty sure that was his kid in that photo

haha devious that was me. lol

Dan - 3eyzbbq
08-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I'll look into some commercials, but I'm a cheapstake where it doesn't count.

Yep, money is tight these days. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you out a bottle of rub to try. Its certainly my favorite rib rub but I may be a bit biased, lol.

twinsfan
08-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll try to get some Dan, I promise, but you don't have to hand out any. Doesn't feel right. :)

Bigdog
08-28-2011, 05:54 PM
I'll try to get some Dan, I promise, but you don't have to hand out any. Doesn't feel right. :)

It's ok, it's how we roll here. :cool:

drapersbbq
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM

John

Thanks John. We are running a sale in our store right now to help fund our trip to The Royal. So if any one is interested in trying any of our products now is the time. I will keep the sale running as long as their is response, after that it's back to regular pricing so as to be fair to the other companies who carry our products.

Smokizona
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Im cheap too and just getting into smoking within the last year or so.

Dont knock the rubs I use:)

Famous Daves Rib rub or Grill Mates Applewood rub. I need to step my game up.

Nosmo King
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
i hope i dont get beheaded for this, but i've found that McCormick's Applewood rub is delicious on ribs.:ducks:

BurninTree BBQ
09-06-2011, 03:55 PM
3eyz

smokstaclightning
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
There is a restaurant in my area that's call the Barbecue store. They sell a product call nuttin butt luv. It's one of the best I've tasted and would compare it to some of the best one's out there. Just my two cents.