PDA

View Full Version : Just made some Awesome leg quarters...

BigBobBQ
08-26-2011, 09:49 PM
I have just made some leg quarters that the neighbors were ready to fight over. I kept it pretty simple.
1. cleaned and trimmed up the chicken.
2. used a homemade rub with everglades seasoning and paprika, after rubbing with evoo.
3. fired up the old Masterforge charcoal grill.
4. temperature settled in at about 375 so on they went for about 1hr 30 minutes, at the end I applied a very light coating of bbq sauce and let them on grill for 10 more minutes to set it.
5. Let the rest for 10 minutes and they destroyed them.

I do have pictures of before, during the cook, and the finished product, on my camera now all I have to do is find my farking camera usb cable so I can upload them for all to enjoy...

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Find that freakin' cable!

tamadrummer
08-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Did you just use everglades and paprika or a base rub with those in it?

BigBobBQ
08-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I just used the everglades seasoning with the paprika, it has the garlic, pepper, and all the other spices I like so I use that because I ran out of my usual rub that I use.

tamadrummer
08-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I currently have a 16oz bottle of Everglades normal rub and then the 6 or 8 oz of cactus dust. I have not used either yet. I am trying to get around to it but I am totally hooked on Oakridge rubs.

Since I got on this site, I have bought so many different rubs and seasonings it is silly. I think I only need some Oakridge, Simply Marvelous and Yardbird and that would set me up just fine.

El Ropo
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
I currently have a 16oz bottle of Everglades normal rub and then the 6 or 8 oz of cactus dust. I have not used either yet. I am trying to get around to it but I am totally hooked on Oakridge rubs.

Since I got on this site, I have bought so many different rubs and seasonings it is silly. I think I only need some Oakridge, Simply Marvelous and Yardbird and that would set me up just fine.

No pics to view, but by the description, I'd try cooking them with no finishing glaze, just naked. I know people have to make money off their sauces, but just straight up rubbed chicken quarters with no mop or finishing glaze is amazing.

If you look at the "chicken white or dark poll thread", those were simply pulled out of the fridge, trimmed of xtra fat, rubbed with low sodium Montreal chicken seasoning, and cooked indirect on the OTS for 1.5-1.75 hours. Lots of folks will try to "complicate" things, but BBQ is really quite simple.

Look for low sodium rubs and sauces. SM and BR are both great sources for quality rubs and sauces.

Once you get used to the low salt stuff, the flavor really comes though.

I understand the Oak Ridge line is fairly low sodium too.

The great thing about this hobby of BBQ, is you can do whatever you want, but by following some fairly simple rules, it's always good!

tamadrummer
08-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Thank you for the great advice El Ropo! I will heed that advice and enjoy some good cookin!

kcmike
08-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Once you get used to the low salt stuff, the flavor really comes though.

I understand the Oak Ridge line is fairly low sodium too.

Yessir, all Oakridge BBQ rubs are quite low in sodium. In fact, all but one (our Santa Maria rub) qualify under the USDA "Low Sodium" product classification. Our Santa Maria rub just missed the entry qualifications, so it is also very low, but not as low as our other rubs.

:thumb:

BigBobBQ
08-28-2011, 05:40 PM
here are the pictures for the cook, I could not for some reason get them to add to this thread but it would let me make a new thread with them.

BigBobBQ
08-28-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114776 :clap2::thumb: