PDA

View Full Version : Fajitas....

jimmyinsd
08-26-2011, 07:14 PM
since you guys have yet to lead me too far down the wrong path :-P i am coming to you for tips/techniques etc on making some knock out fajitas. i decided we are going to give tomorrow a south west flair and as i have never done them before...fajitas are on the menu. help a brother out, whatcha ya'll got? as always thanks in advance.

oh since i just finished putting up hay to feed our cattle this winter, beef is definately on the menu.

JS-TX
08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Although I'm from way down here, I have yet to perfect my fajitas. Perhaps try marinating some skirt steak w/olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, a little lime juice and some season all for about 8 hours. You may also try picking up some McCormick mesquite marinade packet. I would also trimming away excess fat. Get the skirt steak per-marinated by that machine if you can, if not get some flank steak. Let us know how it turns out.

LoneStarMojo
08-26-2011, 10:31 PM
hey I marinate skirt steak in lime juice with some salt and pepper for 4-6 hours then throw on a very hot grill and sear both sides and cook med rare to medium....cook any further than that and they will in all likely hood be tuff and chewy. Skirt is traditonal...sometimes I can only get flank (which some argue isn't skirt but if it's not it's a very close substitute).

I saute the veggies (bell peppers and onions are traditional out in west texas where I come from) in olive oil. To serve sizzlin hot in a cast iron skillet (only recommended for small groups) Preheat fajita pans to 550 degrees and then get meat sliced and veggies partially sauteed and then add some cold water to the veggies and toss meat and veggies into skillet and enjoy the sizzle and steam show. Wear oven gloves and be careful!

Then serve up with pico de gallo, sour cream, refried beans, shreaded cheese, guacamole....or any other number of toppings....or you can keep it simple with just one or two toppings. Fajitas are like any other grilling creation....there may be a traditional way but what matters is to serve em the way you like em!

Jason Bass
08-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I like to marinate my skirt steak for 6-8 hours in Adkins Western Style BBQ seasoning and pineapple juice. I always let the meat come to room temp before grilling, seems to be more tender.

ytsejam
08-27-2011, 12:03 PM
google "alton brown fajitas" I like that one