PDA

View Full Version : How to you "Hold" a Brisket

salmon slayer
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi, Great Forum. I found it after buying a Traeger Texan and started experimenting. I found out quickly that I know nothing about low and slow and went to the internet for information and found this great site. My first Brisket was aweful. I found theBasic Brisket tutorial on this site and am ready to give it another try.

I was unable to find the answer on how long (or how) to hold a brisket and how long you can do it before ruining it. The instuctions I saw said figure on 10 hours or so for the flat and then another 3-4 hours for the point. I have 30 people coming over tomorrow for a family party and really want this to come out right. Do I foil and use apple juice to keep it moist? Can it hold for 4-6 hours? Trying to avoid getting up at 2:a.m. to put the meat on - that will take the fun out of this. Help!

fnnm358
08-26-2011, 07:12 PM
first of all are you doing a packer or just a flat and how many pounds is it

Lake Dogs
08-26-2011, 07:48 PM
If it's in the 15-18lb range, at 250 you'll cook it 9 - 11 hours; foil after 5 hours. I wouldn't put apple juice in it. I use an injection (butchers) and we save just a tad of it to pour over the brisket when we foil. If you dont have an injection, perhaps some of your rub in a little water or beef broth...

Holding? How long will it last in foil after you remove it from the smoker? If you put it in a cooler (used as a warmer), wrapped in towels, it should stay PIPING hot more than 6 hours.

salmon slayer
08-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Its a 12 lb packer. Found it at Costco for $1.99 lb. Do you recommend "mopping" the brisket every couple hours as well? I hate to ruin this one...

Blackened
08-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Might consider injecting.. some useful info here.. http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

ha, Salmon Slayer was my message board username back in the late 90's

fnnm358
08-26-2011, 08:23 PM
if your looking it aint cooking is the rule around here
inject it put a rub on it and let it go at 225 to 250
the 10 hour mark that was talked about was the time for a first check to probe and see if tender or not.
If it seems close check every hour there after if it doesnt seem at all close to being tender let it go for a couple of hours and check it again.
once you hit the butter feel in the probe pull it off and wrap in foil and let it sit for a couple hours in a cooler.

salmon slayer
08-26-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks all! looking forward to the results. BOught stuff to try a "fatty" next. Blackend - appreciate you leaving a few salmon for me! I just smoked a 20 lber. Good stuff but a bit salty. Have to take the boat out and catch a few more to do more experimentin..

Blackened
08-26-2011, 09:33 PM
thanks all! looking forward to the results. BOught stuff to try a "fatty" next. Blackend - appreciate you leaving a few salmon for me! I just smoked a 20 lber. Good stuff but a bit salty. Have to take the boat out and catch a few more to do more experimentin..

Try thirdeye's cure.. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html

we smoked a 14 lber a couple weeks ago that turned out really well.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113738&highlight=smoked+salmon

We're still waiting for the bulk of them to come up the river, but my son caught a 32 lb buck last weekend, but he was pretty dark so we released him.

Jason Bass
08-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Ldet us know how it turns out!

Jason Bass
08-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Try thirdeye's cure.. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html

we smoked a 14 lber a couple weeks ago that turned out really well.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113738&highlight=smoked+salmon

We're still waiting for the bulk of them to come up the river, but my son caught a 32 lb buck last weekend, but he was pretty dark so we released him.

Would any of you guys with the availability and ability to catch those big salmon be willing to pack a few in dry ice and overnight them to Texas for a fee??

Kinda hard to find Salmon here!

kik_start
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
How do you "Hold" a Brisket

with both hands if you have to in order to keep from dropping it.

salmon slayer
08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
thx for the recipe, I will give it a shot. I smoked whole filets and like your idea better. 2 hours and counting before I start the smoker

baldbill
08-27-2011, 08:39 AM
LOL, my first thoughts too! Glad to see I'm not the only smart ass on here, lol!!! :heh:
with both hands if you have to in order to keep from dropping it.

salmon slayer
08-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Update and another question. I just checked the temp at 7.5 hours and the meat and smoker are both at 180 degrees. There is a lot of liquid in the foil. Do I drain the liquid and let it continue smoking? Dinner is not for another 10 hours....

(I foiled it at 150 degrees (4.5 hours at 225) and lowered the heat to 180 as I thought it was cooking faster than I wanted.)

Blackened
08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Update and another question. I just checked the temp at 7.5 hours and the meat and smoker are both at 180 degrees. There is a lot of liquid in the foil. Do I drain the liquid and let it continue smoking? Dinner is not for another 10 hours....

(I foiled it at 150 degrees (4.5 hours at 225) and lowered the heat to 180 as I thought it was cooking faster than I wanted.)

I would drain most of the liquid and turn up the heat to 225.. the internal temp is not going to get higher than the pit temp.. how tender is it at this point?

salmon slayer
08-27-2011, 03:50 PM
thanks, that confirmed what I thought (hoped). I thought it the temp probe was going in pretty easy but now its pretty tough. Maybe I hit fat earlier. In any case, Itswrapped tight and back up to 225. Started ribs just in case....