PDA

View Full Version : Smokin in converted freezer

thepirate51
08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
I converted an old freezer into an upright smoker, with a heating element on the bottom holding a cast iron pan full of wood chunks. There is room for thirteen racks. I have a thermostat wired in, but not a temp gage. This has worked great for jerky and two racks of ribs (see pics), using 3hrs at 225 with smoke, then 2hrs foiled in marinade, then finished with glaze for 15min on the grill. The ribs were good, but not great and that's okay.

...but I have a larger party coming up and I have a couple of questions.

As you can see the heat/smoke comes through a hole cut in the bottom and I wonder if I do 6-7 racks, if the ribs on the bottom will dryout? I have not put a water pan in the bottom yet, which might help.

Because I lose so much heat when I open the door, I can't readily rearrange them.:doh: I think I might try smoke for 3hrs, then take them all out and quickly foil them, then rotate them back in top to bottom, for another 2 hrs...then pull them out to rest in a cooler for 1hr.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pirate

btcg
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks good to me.

OH, don't open the door. If you're lookin, you ain't cookin.

Smokin_Butts
08-26-2011, 05:46 PM
When I do not have alot of time I will toss some ribs in a pot. Inside the pot will be water, salt, ketchup, BBq, sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and a host of other things. I put them on a slow almost non exsistan boil for 2hrs then glaze and smoke for 2 hrs. If you are up to trying this method you could start pre cooking racks like this allowing them less time in the smoker with a lower risk of them drying out.

Pyle's BBQ
08-26-2011, 06:25 PM
When I do not have alot of time I will toss some ribs in a pot. Inside the pot will be water, salt, ketchup, BBq, sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and a host of other things. I put them on a slow almost non exsistan boil for 2hrs then glaze and smoke for 2 hrs. If you are up to trying this method you could start pre cooking racks like this allowing them less time in the smoker with a lower risk of them drying out.

You don't say?:shock:

cholloway
08-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Par boil ribs??? Hmmmmm.

cdollar
08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Oboy.

Chuck

sullysQ
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
:pop2:

O-Town
08-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Here we go again....:drama:

BigBobBQ
08-26-2011, 08:32 PM
don't want to see where this is going to go so......:pray:....

bbqbull
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Ok folks we have a new member asking a legit question here.

I used to boil my ribs until I joined this site. Now I just trim up the racks into St. Louis style, remove the membrane on the rib side and rub them down.
Then I cook them at about 250 degrees from 5-6 hrs.
Here is a link.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818
There is a huge amount of information contained in the link.
This is at the top of the Q-Talk section.

Also at the bottom of the main page there is a Google search box... It only applies to this forum.

LoneStarMojo
08-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Well, to each his own. I've had ribs done somewhat close to this method and I have to say they were pretty good. Of course I knew how they were cooked before hand and that info probably tainted my judgement. But if I had 2 racks (one boiled and one low and slow smoked) to choose from I'd have to say I'll go low and slow every time.

IamMadMan
08-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I converted an old freezer into an upright smoker, with a heating element on the bottom holding a cast iron pan full of wood chunks. There is room for thirteen racks. I have a thermostat wired in, but not a temp gage. This has worked great for jerky and two racks of ribs (see pics), using 3hrs at 225 with smoke, then 2hrs foiled in marinade, then finished with glaze for 15min on the grill. The ribs were good, but not great and that's okay.

...but I have a larger party coming up and I have a couple of questions.

As you can see the heat/smoke comes through a hole cut in the bottom and I wonder if I do 6-7 racks, if the ribs on the bottom will dryout? I have not put a water pan in the bottom yet, which might help.

Because I lose so much heat when I open the door, I can't readily rearrange them.:doh: I think I might try smoke for 3hrs, then take them all out and quickly foil them, then rotate them back in top to bottom, for another 2 hrs...then pull them out to rest in a cooler for 1hr.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pirate

I would think a water pan would help to regulate temperature thus eliminating the need to move around the shelves.

Would a computer fan facing down on one side help to move the air keeping it at an even temperature? Maybe even use 2" vent pipe on the outside for use with the fan to circulate? Don't know, just thinking outloud.

I have a friend in Western NY that converted a large refrigerator for smoking large quanities of fish. He lined the inside with aluminum facia/soffet coil from home depot. He made a large water pan and above that he has a place for a large Ice pan for cold smoke if needed. Every time I go to visit it is always in use and he has a waiting list to buy his fish, so it must work for him

thepirate51
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Other than somehow starting the 'Par-boiled' fued'in...great advice, thanks. I didn't think about how the water pan might regulate temp and I have a 2" vent at the bottom of the smoker, so I could hook up a fan, just need to figure out a way to power it (for some reason they didn't put USB ports on freezers in the '50s LOL)

Well off to try a corned beef brisket today, I'll let everyone know how it works.

Pirate:clap2:

Smokin_Butts
08-27-2011, 11:25 AM
What you don't like it? Ok good for you. Different strokes for differnt folks Also the OP asked for input, not if you like par boil or not.

Pirate let us know how it goes. I would like to try cold smoking with one of those old refer units some time.

IamMadMan
08-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Other than somehow starting the 'Par-boiled' fued'in...great advice, thanks. I didn't think about how the water pan might regulate temp and I have a 2" vent at the bottom of the smoker, so I could hook up a fan, just need to figure out a way to power it (for some reason they didn't put USB ports on freezers in the '50s LOL)

Well off to try a corned beef brisket today, I'll let everyone know how it works.

Pirate:clap2:
Computer muffin fans typically run 3.5-7 VDC for variable speed, on some older computers (early 486) they had 12VDC fans. Radio shack sells dc transformers (power converters) in several diffent voltages.

twinsfan
08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Should he and I start a club?

The I-Boil-Ribs-and-Take-Shots-for-it club?

twinsfan
08-27-2011, 03:57 PM
BTW aren't there like extreme carniogens in 50s freezers? Like espestous?

NorthwestBBQ
08-27-2011, 04:16 PM
BTW aren't there like extreme carniogens in 50s freezers? Like espestous?

Asbestos?

NorthwestBBQ
08-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Should he and I start a club?

The I-Boil-Ribs-and-Take-Shots-for-it club?

No, you should take pics and post them here. Believe it or not you are not the only one who loves boiled ribs.

thepirate51
08-27-2011, 04:24 PM
lolol... you are correct, some of the old 'ice-boxes' had some nasty insulation. In this case the freezer is 100% metal on the inside and I plugged the handful of screw holes with high heat caulk.

The only part I had a problem with was the 'rubber' seal on the door. While I added a heat seal cord (from old oven), I didn't foresee the heat getting through that and while smoking a turkey last year I had a funky fire as the old seal got too hot.

Other than that, none of my kids have sprouted extra digit or appendages yet.:pray:

Pirate