PDA

View Full Version : Crazy King of BBQ

Chef Jim
08-26-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm at the Ace Hardware to pick up a grate for my mini Smokey Joe. I was telling the checkout girl that I did not need to wash it as it only holds charcoal. She had trouble understand that.

So the guy behind me pipes up that he is the King of BBQ! No one on the face of the planet knows more than he does. Oh really now?

He wants to know what kind of wood I use and what I soak it in. I say Soak it? Yeah, and what do I marinate my wood in?

He goes on to tell me that you have to let the wood age and then soak it in water with old spoiled onions, peppers, peppercorns, etc. Let that sit for a few days in the fridge. Then FREEZE it. It slows down the burn and add such flavor you couldn't believe. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

He is 100 % right. I don't believe it.

As usual for a know it all, he would not listen to any advice cause that was the wrong way to do it!

He told me where he lives but I do not think I will be stopping by.

Good luck Mr. King

One other tip. To brine your turkey, leave it in the bag with just a hole where the legs are so you can fill the cavity with goodies. Put it in water in the fridge and let it soak up all that goodness. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

btcg
08-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow!

expatpig
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Maybe his last name is King?

BigBobBQ
08-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Was he by chances wearing an aluminum foil suit and an armadillo shell helmet.....LMAO... Im thinking the extra terrestrials reprogrammed his brain waves.

gtr
08-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Little does the King know, he'll be the King of Amusement for the next little while. :loco:

Bless his heart. :heh:

Garyclaw
08-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Sometimes it's just better to walk away, isn't it?

Garyclaw
08-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Little does the King know, he'll be the King of Amusement for the next little while. :loco:

:becky:

el_matt
08-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I just love listening to people speak 'intelligently' about subjects they have no clue about!

Matt

JMSetzler
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm glad the guy has enough passion about what he's doing to make the claim of KING :) I might have taken a similar position at some point in the past.... :)

Gore
08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
He's absolutely correct. It is absolutely essential to marinade your wood if you want to impart it with flavor ... dang it, I better just go to the penalty box and call it a day. :oops:

Brian in Maine
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Hunt the impostor down. I am the true king. I never marinate my wood. I marinate my charcoal. All charcoal should be marinated it in lighter fluid.

Mister Bob
08-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I think maybe the King is rubbing his wood a little bit too...

Funky D
08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Chop the leg off of an Ent (the Tree people form Lord of the Rings). Take the leg, and cure it within a flame that does not burn. Splash it with the blood of an unnameable beast, and carve your birth date into it. You are now ready to cook.

I hope you wrote down this guy's wisdom. I am thinking Myron's book has some competition!

big brother smoke
08-26-2011, 06:50 PM
There lies all types of jokes here but inappropriate for this forum :tape:

gtr
08-26-2011, 06:52 PM
There lies all types of jokes here but inappropriate for this forum :tape:

You might find one or 2 in PB :tape:

btcg
08-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Chop the leg off of an Ent (the Tree people form Lord of the Rings). Take the leg, and cure it within a flame that does not burn. Splash it with the blood of an unnameable beast, and carve your birth date into it. You are now ready to cook.

I hope you wrote down this guy's wisdom. I am thinking Myron's book has some competition!

Actually, Saruman betrayed the Ents, and his greatest crime was cutting a tree. He ended up trapped in Orthanc after Treebeard and the other Ents revolted.

Maybe better, was the actions of Merry & Pippin: relaxing and smoking Longbottom Leaf?

Amazing what one can retain when they actually read something.

bbqbull
08-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Chef Jim a quick question here.
Did you offer Mr. King the website address for this forum?

That way maybe everyone wouldn't be taking potshots at him.
Sounds like he just needs to expand his education a bit, this is an awesome place to start

DirtyDirty00
08-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Was he by chances wearing an aluminum foil suit and an armadillo shell helmet.....LMAO... Im thinking the extra terrestrials reprogrammed his brain waves.

O at the mall by me there is this old guy that walks around with a trench coat and head gear with big long antennas coming off it. Very very strange.

Chef Jim
08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Chef Jim a quick question here.
Did you offer Mr. King the website address for this forum?

That way maybe everyone wouldn't be taking potshots at him.
Sounds like he just needs to expand his education a bit, this is an awesome place to start

No I did not. He was too busy telling me how great he is. :laugh:

RevZiLLa
08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Was this him?

bbqbull
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Can we please keep this thread on track here?
Thank's in advance.

Seachaser
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Bet he has the best tasting wood in Florida!:becky:

bigabyte
08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Oh, so I should be marinating wood and NOT eggs?:doh: Dang it! I did it all wrong.

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I have found that when I marinate my smoker it imparts a wonderful flavor to meat. But, it only happens when I make sure that all the "K's" on the charcoal are facing upwards and my smoker is facing Memphis and the water I use to boil my ribs in has MSG in it along with a bottle of bourbon.

txschutte
08-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Well, did you try it?

If an old-timer came behind me in the checkout line and started flipping me chit about my bbq, I'd at least give it a try, once.

SmokeOCD
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I have found that when I marinate my smoker it imparts a wonderful flavor to meat. But, it only happens when I make sure that all the "K's" on the charcoal are facing upwards and my smoker is facing Memphis and the water I use to boil my ribs in has MSG in it along with a bottle of bourbon.

There's "K"s on the charcoal? :doh: Ho%^ (r^P!

RevZiLLa
08-26-2011, 11:43 PM

Try it with bong water

AustinKnight
08-27-2011, 12:05 AM

lol yes he will :-D

Corky
08-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Was this him?

He was just fired by BK so that may have been him.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Pappy
08-27-2011, 06:58 AM
I marinate my wood every time I cook...............with Fire! :mad2:

DirtyDirty00
08-27-2011, 07:18 AM
was this him?

flame broiled!!!!

tmehlhorn
08-27-2011, 07:34 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

great story to start my day off

Big A
08-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Well now I'm confused do I marinate the grill it's self or the charcoal?Maybe the wood in wine and egg yolks for ten years that way it actually penetrates it! My cooking will never be the same.:shock:

PimpSmoke
08-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I find if I marinate myself before during and after cooking, my flavor is unbelievable.

InTheRedZoneBBQ
08-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Just when I thought I was starting to understand the smoking process, a curve ball! Now I need to let my onions spoil and marinate the wood? :crazy: This is turning into work!

Sunra
08-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I marinate my charcoal. All charcoal should be marinated it in lighter fluid.

Aaaah...... The Myron Mixon Mod GotCha:thumb:

twinsfan
08-27-2011, 09:45 AM
seriously thinking about putting some ground pepper and some paprika on my logs I'm burning for my hurricane smoke.

cgarrit
08-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a guy I had a conversation with a while back. He told me that all wood burns the same so I shouldn't be worried about using apple. He told me any professional bbqer could tell me there is no difference in overall taste.

grill 'em all
08-27-2011, 10:44 AM
on fun days in the kings court,the jester soaks his wood in gasoline :mad2: and the crowd goes wild:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:..it keeps the king amused:laugh:

Boshizzle
08-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Well now I'm confused do I marinate the grill it's self or the charcoal?Maybe the wood in wine and egg yolks for ten years that way it actually penetrates it! My cooking will never be the same.:shock:

You marinate the grill/smoker, duh. There are some uninformed people who marinate charcoal but it does no good and the money you save from not having to buy another bottle of marinade can be used to buy lighter fluid.

Oldschoolbbq
08-27-2011, 11:07 AM
OMG !
WTH,is with some of these nuts?:doh:

PimpSmoke
08-27-2011, 11:20 AM
If I really want to drive my neighbors nuts I throw a few onions in the fire. Maybe he's on to something.

Mo-Dave
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Ya know his wood soak routine has a somewhat plausible sound to it and I may give it a try, did he say what kind of wood he used? Now his turkey brine is just plane wacky.
Dave

rolfejr
08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
"My wife's cooking is fit for a king!
Here king, Here boy!" - Henny Youngman