PDA

View Full Version : Why are BGE more expensive in Canada?

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I popped by my local BBQ store today to admire the BGE's on display. I turned a little red with sticker shock at how much higher the prices are here in Canada. Most US retailers have the eggs at the following price points.

US retailer Average

$1199.00 USD XL
$899.00 - 999.99 USD LG

Canada

$1599.99 CAD XL
$1099.99 CAD LG

WTF! With the Canadian dollar higher than the USD this is plain ridiculous. I can understand some issues with a lower volume distribution and shipping network but not a 40% price difference.

Canadian are getting ripped off royally. I wonder if BGE realizes that Canadian are aware of the US prices. I was a bit choked up about the price. It just seems pretty ridiculous.

Johnny_Crunch
08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
I have never seen anything other than moose meat actually be cheaper in Canada. The only thing I can assume is that it costs businesses alot more to do business there with taxes and other government regulations and it drives up the cost.

deguerre
08-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Import duty fees also add to the costs.

jimmyinsd
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
it is a pain in the rear getting products across the border anymore. we used to do quite a bit of business with customers north of the border, but anymore we wont look at a job up there unless the order is at least a full semi load. its just too much of a hassle with all the paperwork and brokers and such.

not to mention somebody has to pay for that "free" health care. i guess they figure if you can afford a nice cooker that somebody must be you.

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Customs does play a role but the bigger factor is that Canadian retialers love to rip off their customers on a regular basis.

The custom fee on an XL is about 80 dollars. The hidden government taxes add another 40 dollars.

This means the retialer is gouging the customer. This happens quite a bit north of the border.

Grabnabber
08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
At least you only have to buy it one time. :doh:

You should see what we gotta pay for a sixer of Molson down here.... :-P :crazy:

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-27-2011, 06:03 AM
I was doing some research and I noticed something that may be effecting the price if BGE in Canada. They don't warehouse their stock in Canada. Weber's products are the same price in the US and Canada. Weber has a warehouse in Mississauga, Ontario.

Charbroil and Blue Ember grills are priced the same at Home Depot on both the US and Canadian site. Have I found the smoking bullet here? Is warehousing in the US causing the massive price hike for BGE in Canada?

h20loo
08-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Canadians generally* pay HST(13% in Ontario) on everything whether at the border or at a Canadian retailer. With free trade there is no duty on Mex/US/Can manufactured goods. If you involve a broker(Fedex) to import something then they charge a big fee for bringing the item across.

* exceptions vary by province, over 48 hours in US etc.

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I have found a couple of less common Egg Dealers in Edmonton that charging $100 less than the main BBQ store in town. They also sell the plate setter a few of the eggcesories for less. It proves you have to shop around. Alberta only has GST to worry about. There's no provincial sales tax like Ontario.

It seems like BGE has not adjusted their price list in 4 years for Canada. We might be paying the same prices when the Loonie was worth 20 cents less than the green back. Now the CAD dollars is 1.03 American and the BGE has not adjusted their prices to reflect the current valuation. Thank God it's a one time purchase.

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-27-2011, 02:38 PM
I have found a couple of less common Egg Dealers in Edmonton that charging $100 less than the main BBQ store in town. They also sell the plate setter a few of the eggcesories for less. It proves you have to shop around. Alberta only has GST to worry about. There's no provincial sales tax like Ontario.

It seems like BGE has not adjusted their price list in 4 years for Canada. We might be paying the same prices when the Loonie was worth 20 cents less than the green back. Now the CAD dollars is 1.03 American and the BGE price has not adjusted to the new valuation.

azken
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
China owns too much of the U.S. ... Canada not so much ... Suppose we will get the Canadian dollar even if it's one Egg at a time. :wink: