PDA

View Full Version : Moving smoke up to avoid Irene, need some advice

tasterner
08-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Hey everyone~ We're having our local fantasy football draft Sunday, and my plan was to throw a couple butts on Saturday night to be ready for the 2:00 draft party. Looks like that's not possible, so I'm planning to do them overnight tonight. What's the best way to handle this? Should I pull the meat tomorrow when it's ready, then reheat in the oven Sunday? Or will that dry it out? Of course this also depends if we still have electrcity at that point. This is only like my second attempt at pulled pork, so any tips are greatly appreciated.

Stay safe everyone!!

colonel00
08-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Do you have a vacuum sealer? If so, the best way is to pull it when it's done and seal it. Then just throw the sealed meat in boiling water to reheat and it will be nice and juicy. If not, reheat it covered with foil and it should be alright. Save as much of the drippings and juices as you can if/when you foil during the cook or to rest the butts. This will also help.

tasterner
08-26-2011, 09:36 PM
No I don't have a sealer, though I may be able to borrow one tomorrow. Put them on the wsm an hour ago, we'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Boshizzle
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Pull it when it's hot. Reheat just before it's time to eat.

You can reheat it in the oven, in the smoker, or you can steam it and I have also found that a microwave can do a good job of reheating BBQ pork on a serving by serving basis. You could also reheat it in a pot if you add a little chicken broth to work up some steam.

caseydog
08-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I have reheated pulled pork many times, and it is fine. Cook when you can, let the meat rest to redistribute the juices, then pull it and bag it. You should have no problems reheating it. Pulled pork has enough fat in it to handle storage and reheating, IMO.

Like I said, I have done it many times, and it has worked out just fine.

In fact, pulled pork is one of the foods my family in Houston keeps frozen to eat when a hurricane comes through. My dad has a generator to keep the fridge/freezers running, and a gas grill to cook on, and frozen pulled pork heats up great for dinner by candlelight.

They live North of i-10, so they are told NOT to evacuate, so that people South of I-10 can get out of harms way. So, they have to be prepared to do without electricity for a while. After Ike, it was about five days without electricity, and frozen BBQ was some of the best food they ate during their week without electricity.

You are pretty far inland in York (I was born in Glassboro, on the East side of Philly), so you should not have any long-term power outages, but if you have to do without power, pulled pork is a good item to have on hand. :thumb:

CD

tasterner
08-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Well the rain is starting and my butts are around 175. I foiled them and put them back on, but I'm not sure how long I want to leave them out there. Is it okay to stick them in a cooler now, or should I put them in the oven to bring up to 190ish?

p.s. pics to follow soon.

tasterner
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Anyone???

These have been on for almost 20 hours now at 225....thought for sure they'd be done a while ago.

btcg
08-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Preheat the oven, and put em in. Monitor the temp closely. When you hit 190 or so, pull, wrap & rest.

El Ropo
08-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Anyone???

These have been on for almost 20 hours now at 225....thought for sure they'd be done a while ago.

20 hours, ouch! Next time try cooking at closer to 300, it'll turn out the same (or better) and you get 8-10 hours of your life back.