PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with Gas...?

Team DD
08-26-2011, 09:44 AM
How do you guys feel about cooking with gas versus just straight up charcoal/wood? Is it still BBQ if you cook with gas and have a smoke box for the wood flavor?

I know you can't do competitions that way.

Thanks,
Doug

cholloway
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Letterman told Paul Shaffer, "You're not grilling, you're just cooking outside!" :heh:

Terry Knife
08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure what the purists will say, but thats precisely how we roll. And dern-tootin it's still BBQ.

Team DD
08-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Terry, Do you have any pics of your custom built smoker?

Terry Knife
08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Well of course I do, thanks for asking....;)

fingerlickin'
08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I started getting into BBQ using a Master Forge vertical gasser I got at Lowes with good results and it sure tasted like BBQ to me. I recently got myself an XL BGE and I will say cooking over charcoal does feel a lot more like "BBQ" but if nothing else it's just plain MORE FUN.

Harbormaster
08-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Around these parts, "Now you're cooking with gas!" is just an expression.

I gotta be in a real big hurry to fire up the gasser.

expatpig
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
It's kind of like, fly fishing vs fishing with "Dupont" lures. the end result is the same, but fly fishing is a whole lot more enjoyable.

deguerre
08-26-2011, 01:26 PM
These were done in a gasser...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34122&stc=1&d=1258946319

Terry Knife
08-26-2011, 01:27 PM
It's kind of like, fly fishing vs fishing with "Dupont" lures. the end result is the same, but fly fishing is a whole lot more enjoyable.

On the flipside of that; using a flyrod/reel is fishing while spinner fishing is catching fish.

Our goals involve efficiency, low overhead, flexibility and consistency so our gas cooker is the way to go (for us, for now). That being said, we've got a firebox all built that has the capacity we need to run as a pure wood setup so we can participate in more competitions. Have done one KCBS comp that was a "competitors series", which I guess means they allow any type of cooker. (1st in chicken, 1st in beef, and GC)

Fiddy/Fiddy
08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Steak always seems to have a boiled taste to me when it's cooked over gas or propane. You trade flavor for speed. I willing to take an extra 5 minutes for the extra flavor. You can't beat the dry heat of charcoal.

Terry Knife
08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
We don't speed up our cooktime by using Propane. It's just a heat source and doesn't impart any flavor on anything we cook. Just like the purists (nuthin but respect) we heat up lump charcoal in a chimney and keep a small, clean and hot fire going in our fire box and burn dried hardwoods.

Really the only difference (IMO) is that we can open her up and mop, or just peek, as frequently as we need to.

Groundhog66
08-26-2011, 04:42 PM
A gasser can produce moist, slow cooked meat, just like the oven in your kitchen will.....But it doesn't deserve to be called "BBQ" IMO :heh:

Terry Knife
08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
^ Lump on his shoulder. See, thats a joke. I would like to know how you quantify "real bbq".

Mikey063
08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I have never used a gas grill, and never wanted to use one, but since I got my Char Griller Trio, my wife and I tried it out, and I hate to say it, it is not bad. I still prefer grilling using wood and lump.

Groundhog66
08-26-2011, 04:49 PM
^ Lump on his shoulder. See, thats a joke. I would like to know how you quantify "real bbq".

Can't be cooked on a gasser, sorry. Next thing you know, people will be calling the ovens in their kitchens BBQ's :hand:

expatpig
08-26-2011, 05:04 PM

"Dupont lures" aka dynamite.

BigBobBQ
08-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I do have to agree with Groundhog true bbq is the process or cooking low and slow over a wood or charcoal fueled fire, nowhere in any definition will you see it say anything about gas, Now that's not to say you cant produce an immitated bbq product with gas and a smoke box, it is easier but it is not what is defined as real bbq by websters, wikipedia or any other dictionary. but that is just MHO.

realspaazz
08-26-2011, 07:44 PM
If I understand your question, you are asking if you can produce real BBQ on a gas grill with some chips in a smoker box. The answer is maybe. I tried it on my Weber Genesis e-320 with hickory chips and with mesquite chips both soaked and un-soaked. The results were inconsistent and sometimes had a funky/acrid flavor (I don't know if it would not count a bbq, but I was not going to eat it again). Since I started using my WSM, I have been getting real BBQ magic deliciousness. The flavor and texture difference is huge. I still like my gasser for grilling corn, vegetables, naan bread, pita pizza, or a few quick burgers.

DirtyDirty00
08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
In my opinion... Yes but its cheating.

Turky1
08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
I've done it and you absolutely can make great BBQ on a gas grill (i.e., genesis/spirit). It's harder to get a deep smoke flavor or a heavy bark, and you don't get the fun of tending a fire. These days my gas grill only gets used for burning/cleaning the grates from my charcoal grills.

T

RevZiLLa
08-26-2011, 10:09 PM
You can make nice Q with as much or as little smoke flavor as you want with gas or electric or even charcoal in an old ugly drum. If slathering your product with store bought BBQ sauce full of liquid smoke is real Q, then so is a whole lot of stuff. If you pull the skin off of your chicken thighs and debone them and then scrape the fat off the skin and wrap it all up into a muffin tin and call it Q...well OK! It wins competitions right?

Dallas Dan
08-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Burger King flame broils with gas...just sayin' :rolleyes:

RevZiLLa
08-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Burger King flame broils with gas...just sayin' :rolleyes:

At least the building has some wood in it....:clap2: