PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal cages

Kernscookin
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I have a Lang 60 cooker and it's a stick burner. When I load it with alot of meat everything turns out great. When I only cook a couple of slabs or especially when I cook country style ribs they turn out so smokey that you can't eat them. I saw on a youtube where the a guy was using a cage made of expanded metal to hold charcoal to cook on. I am wondering two things: Has anyone ever used or made a charcoal cage and if so what size and strength of expanded metal did they use OR if I have to start wrapping my ribs, butts etc. how long do I smoke before I wrap??

Terry The Toad
08-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a Lang 48 and so far I have ONLY cooked small portions - and I have not had a problem with "over-smoked" flavor. I cook with oak (easily available here) and I only use it if it's bone-dry. When I start my fire, I wait until I have a good bed of coals. And, when I throw on a new stick - I give it plenty of air until the new wood burns down. (If I close the dampers/door too early - I get too much smoke.)

(I know that's not really what you asked - but I thought I'd throw it in for good measure.)

Hannzo
08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
I used this to make a basket and it works great: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183529/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I did it exactly like this: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/03/made-charcoal-basket-for-my-smoker.html

Oh and a popular method for foiling ribs is using the 3-2-1 method. This means 3 hours of smoking ribs, then foil and put back in smoker for another 2 hours, then remove foil and put back in smoker for one more hour. I'm not a huge fan of this method, but a lot of people swear by it. I like to just cook my ribs unfoiled until they look done, slather them up with bbq sauce and wrap them in foil, then wrap in towel, then throw in a cooler for about an hour.

hamiltont
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Don't have a Lang but do have an off-set. One thing I found with all cooks, big or small, is to keep the fire small & hot. First few times I stoked the fire box full & ended up with creosote ribs. YUK! Just a thought any way... Cheers!!!

Kernscookin
08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks Hannzo, heading to the Depot. I like using wood and I DON'T like wrapping with foil. May have just got a bad stick of wood, but I'm gonna build the Charcoal cage anyway, give me something to do.

gtr
08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
There's a pretty good chance that nobody at HD will know where the expanded metal is. Go the the hardware section and look by the angle iron and bolt rods - it should be in a little skinny slot by that stuff - look about knee high. It's really easy to miss.

El Lobo
08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
If you wanna build a super charcoal basket, look at Klose's design.

http://i55.tinypic.com/rrr1p1.jpg

cowgirl
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I used this to make a basket and it works great: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183529/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I did it exactly like this: http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/03/made-charcoal-basket-for-my-smoker.html

My basket is over 3 years old and still holding up well and I use the heck out of it. :-D

Mikey063
08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
I just built one, granted it is not pretty but it works. I had a hell of a time getting it to be even. I pounded the hell out of it with a mallet, it would have been easier if I had a 2x4, oh well it is done. Plus just like cowgirls post. You will need bandaids lol, I did.

I cut mine with aviation snips, I bought at HD. Cost $12
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202350170/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fAVC0fvR2bQ/Tk2hK4jxfVI/AAAAAAAAArk/E4BI3mFu1rk/s640/IMG_20110818_162857.jpg

cowgirl
08-26-2011, 12:37 PM
I just built one, granted it is not pretty but it works. I had a hell of a time getting it to be even. I pounded the hell out of it with a mallet, it would have been easier if I had a 2x4, oh well it is done. Plus just like cowgirls post. You will need bandaids lol, I did.

lol glad I'm not the only one who needed bandaids Mikey! :becky:
The 2x4 really helped me out, I couldn't have bent it without.

Hannzo
08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
lol glad I'm not the only one who needed bandaids Mikey! :becky:
The 2x4 really helped me out, I couldn't have bent it without.

Awww bandaids! I knew I forgot to tell him something. :tape:

BTW cowgirl...when you use your basket, does your charcoal seem to burn really fast? Or is that just a by product of my cheapo smoker?

cowgirl
08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Awww bandaids! I knew I forgot to tell him something. :tape:

BTW cowgirl...when you use your basket, does your charcoal seem to burn really fast? Or is that just a by product of my cheapo smoker?

:becky: yeah... I had to have bandaids, but I do with most projects. lol

The coals burn slow, I use briquettes and have had great luck with it.
Sometimes lump burns too hot and fast for me. :-D

Frankbbq
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
The metal is #9 3/4" expanded. You can buy it in 4' X 8' sheets from most metal supply stores. Using a metal frame makes it easier to replace the bottom. The bottoms will burn through after a while.
A basket makes controling fuel supply much easier. If you can control the air supply your cooker wil be much easier to use.

Kernscookin
08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Went to Home Depot last night. They only had one sheet of the metal and I have to get another one. Think I will build a frame. Did everyone bolts theirs or weld them. I have a wire welder I was going to use. And of course I will pick up some bandaids.

J'ville Grill
08-27-2011, 03:07 PM
How big a basket are you making? I bolted mine but would have welded it if I had a welder.

Mikey063
08-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Went to Home Depot last night. They only had one sheet of the metal and I have to get another one. Think I will build a frame. Did everyone bolts theirs or weld them. I have a wire welder I was going to use. And of course I will pick up some bandaids.
I used bolts and flat washers. Worked well for what I needed. I only needed one 24" x 24" sheet.

Babyboomerboy
08-27-2011, 03:23 PM
I built a basket for my 250 gallon reverse flow smoker and it really works great. I can put 20 pounds of charcoal in the basket, use the minon method and cook rock solid for 2 1/2 hours at 250 degrees.

The Pigman
08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
the first one I built for my chargriller
the 2nd one I built for my Lang 84

Mikey063
08-27-2011, 08:35 PM
How did you attach the metal dividers for the Chargriller basket? I would like to do that, just that I do not have welding.

The Pigman
08-27-2011, 08:38 PM
they are welded if you cant find welder go to vocational school they have welding classes that would do it.

How did you attach the metal dividers for the Chargriller basket? I would like to do that, just that I do not have welding.