PDA

View Full Version : Oh.. Kingsford, I need to have a talk with you.

twinsfan
08-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Mr. Kingsford, I understand your charcoal has popularized grilling and barbequing. It's been a key part of the American kitchen, and you've spread one of my hobbies across the country, regardless of their rubs and sauces.

BUT WHAT THE ********! YOUR CHARCOAL LEAVES MY FOOD WITH A BITTER TASTE, AND I HAVE SPENT FOUR HOURS LIGHTING YOUR CHARCOAL OVER MY LAST TWO COOKS. I TRY SOME OTHER BARGAIN BRAND, AND Bam! It's lite in seconds! Does your charcoal hate me? It took me TWO hours to light charcoal for a one hour cook! It'd be quicker to catch a flight to Saudi Arabia, buy an oil barrel, refine the oil, sell the oil, purchase a cord of hickory, light the wood in the barrel, and use that!

[/rant]

I was partially kidding on the screaming part, but seriously, Mr. Kingsford either hates me or their charcoal is going down hill.

Pyle's BBQ
08-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Where was your Kingsford stored?

Three porks
08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I use over 50 bags per year and never had a problem. Thin blue every single time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

MilitantSquatter
08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
you're doing something wrong.

just get a charcoal chimney starter, fill it up, light it off underneath and your Kingford coals (original OR ALL natural comp briquets) will light and be ready to use in 20 minutes or less...

twinsfan
08-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Inside, under low-mid humidity. Nothing extraordinary for a normal August. I would blame on humidity but the bargain garbage lit in seconds and sat for longer in a more open bag...

twinsfan
08-25-2011, 09:47 PM
You guys use a full chimney load? I'll probably use a 1/3, maybe a half of an average chimney. I find no more then 12-15 briquettes is enough. Maybe that's wrong?

EDIT: i do burn seasoned logs alongside.

Fishawn
08-25-2011, 09:50 PM
I use the stuff almost daily & 400+ pounds in my shed. Never had a problem. Using a Weber chimney?

Blackened
08-25-2011, 09:50 PM
It took me TWO hours to light charcoal for a one hour cook!

?

http://c443828.r28.cf2.rackcdn.com/307416_lg.jpg

twinsfan
08-25-2011, 09:51 PM
bingo, but half full. I think are is a little more rusty and old, but yes. Paper underneath as a starter.... maybe a faulty bag.

bigabyte
08-25-2011, 09:52 PM
It's possible they got wet at the store you bought them from, or in-transit. The problem you're describing in having trouble getting it lit is spot on for K-briqs that got wet at some point.

That's why I use lump!:becky: (not trying to start anything, couldn't resist mod)

swamprb
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Never had a problem with Blue Bag Kingsford. I rarely use the chimney as the torch is how I roll.

Blackened
08-25-2011, 09:54 PM
It's harder to get 12-15 briq's to light with paper than it is a full chimney. Try using the side burner on your gas grill, or what I do is use a turkey fryer element.

Pyle's BBQ
08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
What steps are you going through to light your charcoal. If you are using only 12-15 briquettes, it shouldn't take anywhere near that long. If you are only using that much to light a full firebox, it will take a long time to get enough other coals hot to get any where up to temp.

Fishawn
08-25-2011, 09:57 PM
It's harder to get 12-15 briq's to light with paper than it is a full chimney. Try using the side burner on your gas grill, or what I do is use a turkey fryer element.

Or, if lighting a small amount (12-15) flip the chimney upside down

Boshizzle
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Operator error or moisture in charcoal which is also operator error.

sandiegobbq
08-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I have had a few bags of kingsford that was brand new and it was hard to start.
I emailed kingsford and they gave me a free coupon to buy a bag.

jjdealer
08-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Does anyone else get a bitter taste? I'm a twice a week user and have not experienced that. Also if the cheaper brand works for you, then you scored. Maybe you can tell us the secret to using cheaper briquettes and getting superior results.
Btw is there going to be a labor sale on Kingsford? Thanks much.

jjdealer
08-25-2011, 10:59 PM
I have had a few bags of kingsford that was brand new and it was hard to start.
I emailed kingsford and they gave me a free coupon to buy a bag.

:clap2:

Bartstop
08-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Never had a problem. I even had a bag get soaked when a storm blew the lid open on my patio box. After a few days of 100+ degree heat it was all dried out and worked fine. I'd say you got a bad batch.

Dave

Bbq Bubba
08-26-2011, 05:58 AM
What are you cooking on 15 briquettes?

Seachaser
08-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Could the wood give you the bad taste? I only use wood I cut myself and know what type of tree it came from and how long it has been cut.

brewerjamie15
08-26-2011, 06:52 AM
....Btw is there going to be a labor sale on Kingsford? Thanks much.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1763813#post1763813

tamadrummer
08-26-2011, 07:09 AM
I've got a feeling that your bitter taste is creosote from the log you are burning next to your kingsford. You are only using 12-15 briqs and even if just a chunk, how are you getting that chunk hot enough to cleanly burn that wood?

As far as taking 2h to light 12-15 briqs, that is insane! Take that bag back to where you got it and see if they will exchange it. Kingsford is one of the easiest charcoals to get lit, especially if you are only using a 1/3 full chimney. Try buying the weber parafin lighter cubes. They are the best invention since sliced bread!

O-Town
08-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Here, This should solve your problem.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n101/jcirvin/m2-flamethrower_2.jpg

twinsfan
08-26-2011, 08:01 AM
^^^^^ xD xD ahhaahahahha.

OK. We have incredible humidity here, and our house doesn't have Central AC, so maybe they got a little wet, or it's a bad batch or something. I e-mailed Kingsford expressing my concern, not necessarily for a coupon. It'd be nice though.

I only use twelve to fifteen briquettes. I'm an incredible cheapstake so I burn apple, peach, and mulberry LOGS in addition, not chunks. I've noticed the flavor even when I don't add wood. Again, maybe a bad batch or something. We'll try another batch for my birthday.

This is going to sound really, really insane, but I don't know if you guys have a store called Bed Bath & Beyond.. it's a home store, but my mom gets $5 and 20% coupons, and when I was in there I saw some hardwood briquettes that I liked, it cost $2 with a coupon. Stuff takes a little while to catch but the coals last FOREVER, and no bitter taste. It's probably not the best but quite frankly for $2 it's great for me when I have some chicken marinated at 6:30 and need them on the grill ASAP.

hnd
08-26-2011, 08:03 AM
you've got to boil the bitter taste off.

grill 'em all
08-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Could the wood give you the bad taste? I only use wood I cut myself and know what type of tree it came from and how long it has been cut.
amen to that..i learned the hard way..used stale oak once..terrible,terrible experince..:crazy:

tamadrummer
08-26-2011, 08:32 AM
you've got to boil the bitter taste off.

The boiled ribs will never, ever be lived down. I spit coffee all over my computer when I read that one.

CPMatthew
08-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Or, if lighting a small amount (12-15) flip the chimney upside downThis is so simple and eloquent that I almost feel silly for not having thought of it.:tsk:

twinsfan
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
The boiled ribs will never, ever be lived down. I spit coffee all over my computer when I read that one.

Hahahaha. I suppose so. Probably the one thing most people know me for on here.

Also, four racks of BBs are going to be sacrificed to the boiler (against my wishes, I wanted to smoke them) for my birthday.. but ehhh they're decent.

smokeyokie
08-26-2011, 09:31 AM
charcoal got wet somewhere, I have never had trouble lighting with a chimney, never had the bitter taste tho?? that makes me wonder do you have enough air flow when the lid is on??:confused: