PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Brisket in NOVA area?

sdbbq1234
08-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Looking for place(s) to buy packer briskets in the Northern VA area. We are around the Leesburg area and the only place we have found is the Wal-Mart in Sterling. And those briskets are pretty sad looking (when they have them out). The Sams next door only sells flats.

It's really sad up here; we were down in Austin, TX area about 3 weeks ago and Wal-Mart had great selection of packers: $1.79lb!!!!! Man, I should have bought a portable freezer, hooked it up in the truck, and bought all they had!

Where are the days when we lived in the Plano, TX area when they would have brisket price wars: $.49lb!!!!!

Any help is much appreciated.

wallace

caseydog
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I hope you only went to Plano to shop. I lived there for a while, then I bought my freedom. :laugh:

Most places down here are stocking USDA Select briskets, anymore. More profit. They have huge slabs of fat in them. $1.99 a pound is really 3 bucks a pound when you figure half of the brisket is fat.

CD

Boshizzle
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Join KCBS and get a free membership to Restaurant Depot. There is one in Alexandria.

Boshizzle
08-25-2011, 07:50 PM
BTW - If you are ever down in the Fredericksburg area there is a great butcher shop in Olde Towne that carries CAB, Wagyu, and local brisket. Just make sure you call a couple of days ahead of time to make sure they hold some for you and, of course, the Wagyu is special order only.

And don't expect those great TX prices around here.

JS-TX
08-25-2011, 08:26 PM
I lived in Alexandria for about a year, 9 yrs ago, but that was before my "Q" time. Have you tried any local butcher shops? Assuming there are a few..

sdbbq1234
08-25-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope you only went to Plano to shop. I lived there for a while, then I bought my freedom. Most places down here are stocking USDA Select briskets, anymore. More profit. They have huge slabs of fat in them. $1.99 a pound is really 3 bucks a pound when you figure half of the brisket is fat.

CD

Lived there for 7 years. We called it: The City of Excess. :rolleyes: The briskets we saw in Austin were pretty much the same; HUGE amount of fat. Fat is good, but not in that amount. But, considering what my choices are here in NOVA, I should have bought some.

Join KCBS and get a free membership to Restaurant Depot. There is one in Alexandria.

I am a KCBS member and certified judge. Also, signed up for Restaurant Depot membership; just have to make time to get down there. I have heard about the Olde Towne place, but, it is a haul for me.

Really hoping for something closer. Winchester is only about 40 miles and a nice drive out Hwy 7. Just want to make sure there are places out that way before making the trip.

We are going to make the trip up to New Holland, PA for the BBQ contest tomorrow and Saturday. Heck, maybe some place up there??

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks!

wallace

sdbbq1234
08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I lived in Alexandria for about a year, 9 yrs ago, but that was before my "Q" time. Have you tried any local butcher shops? Assuming there are a few..

Local butcher shops around here? That is almost unheard of compared to the Texas area. Man, I wish......................

wallace

dpeart
08-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Finding a good butcher up there is hard. My brother raises grass fed beef and hasn't found a butcher he likes yet.

He brought in 3-4 steers yesterday to yet another butcher who came highly recommended. 2.5 hour drive one way, but it will be worth it if he is any good.

JS-TX
08-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Local butcher shops around here? That is almost unheard of compared to the Texas area. Man, I wish......................

wallace

I was afraid of that.. well I can only suggest you locate some choice briskets from the nearest place in the area and get 3 or 4 at a time. Make sure they are cryo'd and freeze them. That or mail order wagu briskets from Snake River Farms at about $90 a piece. Not ideal but what can you do?

BTW try calling this place: www.letsmeatontheavenue.com
Maybe they can special order or point you in the right direction.

mad mike
08-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Chuck's butcher shop in Bryans Road,Md. sells prime briskets. We use them for our comps and they are great . you should call them though as fast as they get them they are gone. you cross the woodrow wilson bridge take the rt 210 exit and go about 12 miles and they are on the right. www.chucksbutchershop.com (http://www.chucksbutchershop.com):-P

sdbbq1234
08-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Chuck's butcher shop in Bryans Road,Md. sells prime briskets. We use them for our comps and they are great . you should call them though as fast as they get them they are gone. you cross the woodrow wilson bridge take the rt 210 exit and go about 12 miles and they are on the right. www.chucksbutchershop.com (http://www.chucksbutchershop.com):-P

Very nice!!! I checked out the web site; USDA PRIME Brisket $3.79lb. Heck, that's not much more than what Wal-Mart sells their brisket for. And, sometimes, it is not even labeled as any grade!

Thanks! I am going to check out the Rest. Depot this weekend. The KCBS member coupon says it is good for "1 day pass" and gets me in there 1 time. Has anyone used the same KCBS coupon more than once?

wallace

Boshizzle
08-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Very nice!!! I checked out the web site; USDA PRIME Brisket $3.79lb. Heck, that's not much more than what Wal-Mart sells their brisket for. And, sometimes, it is not even labeled as any grade!

Thanks! I am going to check out the Rest. Depot this weekend. The KCBS member coupon says it is good for "1 day pass" and gets me in there 1 time. Has anyone used the same KCBS coupon more than once?

wallace

Yep, just take your KCBS card with you when you go and you should have no problems getting in anytime you want.

sdbbq1234
09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Yep, just take your KCBS card with you when you go and you should have no problems getting in anytime you want.

Thanks. We are headed down there this Sunday. This could be interesting and very expensive (for me). It could be something like a "kid in a candy store".

Bad side is, I only have so much allowance to spend...................

wallace