PDA

View Full Version : Fresh tastes the best.

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 11:48 AM
You've heard it, some of us have even experienced it but, the strange thing is how much you are reminded of it once again as soon as you taste fresh veggies and fruit. We've been eating stuff from the garden pretty regularly lately but, once again I was reminded of just how awesome fresh can taste.
It started off early on Sunday Morning, My MIL, wife, and I headed out to some county land to pick some wild black berries.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-35.jpg
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-1-21.jpg
I know, how could I possibly suffer to live in a place like this. :heh:

My wife went digging for recipes online when we got back and found one for a cobbler with a crisp topping but, she also found one for a pie as well, unfortunately we didn't quite have enough for either so, our oldest, my wife, and I headed back out to do some more picking.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/0821111412.jpg
We managed to find a hidden honey hole of black berries and scored way more than enough blackberries for both desserts! (I've been sworn to secrecy in regard to this spots location under threat of possible death or worst, "holding out". :shock: )
When we got back home we headed out to the garden to see what else we could find to go with the Pork Steaks we planned to have for dinner. There was yet another zucchini ready and the potatoes were begging to be rooted up.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-2-13.jpg
I slow cooked the pork steak, made mashed tater with our red eyed yukon taters, and fried up the zucchini parmaseana style.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-3-12.jpg
Mean while my wife made up the Blackberry cobbler.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-4-10.jpg
and Blackberry Graham cracker crust marshmellow pie.
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad246/bigbutzbbq/Random%20pics/mms_picture-5-7.jpg
Both of these desserts were completely different but absolutely rocked. And I couldn't help but to think to myself, as I ate the fresh from the garden mashed potatoes and the fresh picked blackberry treats, fresh really does taste the best.

Thanks for looking!

P.S. The Pork Steaks were done up with some Pig Pollen and were absolutely delicious.

Phubar
08-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Phresh!!!
Cool reportage Butsz!

caseydog
08-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Grrrrr! Noting is growing in my garden right now in the way of veggies. It is too hot for the plants to set phruit. :mad2:

CD

deguerre
08-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Man. We had wild blackberries, plums, pears, peaches and two types of apple trees in the back yard when I was growing up. My dad always joked that the birds planted them. (I really wonder what kinda bird coulda dropped a peach pit though...)
The cobblers my mom would make from those. Man. You're right. Nothing beats fresh!

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 12:05 PM
Man. We had wild blackberries, plums, pears, peaches and two types of apple trees in the back yard when I was growing up. My dad always joked that the birds planted them. (I really wonder what kinda bird coulda dropped a peach pit though...)
The cobblers my mom would make from those. Man. You're right. Nothing beats fresh!
We didn't do so well on blue berries this year, but, found some good spots where they will be coming up next year. Looks like it's going to be a wild plum bumper crop this year but, those are right on our land and the in-laws. Raspberries are a no go for now but, wait and see. As far as apple trees go, there are quite a few orchards around us and the wife's crab apple trees are starting to take off.

Smokey Al Gold
08-25-2011, 12:07 PM
How I envy you. That looks awesome. All around me things are dying its so farking hot. I am getting jalapeno's from my plant everynow and then. What was the temperature there it looks like you guys have jackets on. :shocked: If you did that here you'd burst into flames.

N8man
08-25-2011, 12:08 PM
That looks like a Taste Of Home!!!!
Thanx for Sharing!!

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 12:11 PM
How I envy you. That looks awesome. All around me things are dying its so farking hot. I am getting jalapeno's from my plant everynow and then. What was the temperature there it looks like you guys have jackets on. :shocked: If you did that here you'd burst into flames.
Actually, the Jackets and pants were more to protect us from mesquitos and thorns than anything else. When we went picking in the afternoon it was in the High 70's and I was sweating horribly. On the upside though, my hands and occasionally face ended up taking most of the bites. They were biting my oldest right through her clothing though and she was misserable and severly hot. I know High 70's is chilly for some people but, for us frozen folks it can be hot.

Bonewagon
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice lookin' berries there! You're right on the mark with fresh produce. My daughter started a little garden this year. It's been great running out back to pick some lettuce, tomaters, and cukes for dinner. She's already planning an expansion for next year!

landarc
08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Those berrries and fresh veggies sure look good. I am not so sure about the marshmallow pie, but, the cobbler and veggies look tasty.

So where is that honey hole of berries again?

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Those berrries and fresh veggies sure look good. I am not so sure about the marshmallow pie, but, the cobbler and veggies look tasty.

So where is that honey hole of berries again?

The marshmellow one was very interesting it reminded me a lot of a trifle. The berries tasted fresh picked and very brite with the marshmellow giving a slit whip cream like taste in the background and the graham cracker crust was a nice cinnamon sugar note.
The cobbler was just straight up baked goodness that had me begging for bigger and bigger slices each time.

martyleach
08-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Yup, nothing beats fresh off the vine berries that you gotta hunt out yourself. It's hard to get them home without eating them all. Really enjoyed the pictures!

---k---
08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah. My wife goes blueberry picking ever year in Michigan ever year. Those are so much better than the store berries. Even frozen and thawed, much better.

My wife has tired her hand at gardening the last two years. Somewhat successful. But, we have a real problem with the squirrels taking our tomatoes and pepper. :x

pahutchens
08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Looks good and kinda like my road outside of Spooner, of course the critters tend to get the fruit that grows wild before we do....
May swing by over Labor Day

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Looks good and kinda like my road outside of Spooner, of course the critters tend to get the fruit that grows wild before we do....
May swing by over Labor Day
Yeah, looks like a lot of the roads round up here. Luckily the critters were nice enough to leave us some.
I'll be off on Labor day but, the shop will be close, let me know if you need to pick up something. I might be able to get you in. :becky:

Bbqin fool
08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
That looks great tom! Nothing like fresh as I am waiting on my pepper plants patiently. Also started a peach tree and other veggies. Loved the pics. Wish I had areas like that around my way.

tomslusher
08-25-2011, 08:50 PM
You found the secret ingredient to happiness!! Wild black raspberries. Maybe I'm a terrible dad, but I try to hoard all I find and smush them with some sugar and use as a topping on Schwan's vanilla ice cream. The kids would rather have store bought caramel or chocolate. More for me!!!

That and real maple syrup on ice cream is better than just about anything. Don't tell my kids.

tomslusher