PDA

View Full Version : Smoking with Live Oak Wood

skeeter
08-25-2011, 06:43 AM
Will wood from a live wood tree be good to smoke with? Are there any
varieties of oak that should be avoided when smoking?

I have a huge live oak in the yard that will need trimming soon. When I added shade trees to the yard, I did not consider the BBQ and added bure oak, chinquapin oak, and mexican white oak. None on these will produce significant wood for years. I thinking the next tree will be a pecan.

Thanks,

dpeart
08-25-2011, 07:27 AM
That's all I use for beef anymore. Anytime I have to get the trees trimmed I have them set some aside for my smoking pile. Salt Lick uses live oak as well.

I use pecan also which is really easy to get around here as well.

dave

Will wood from a live wood tree be good to smoke with? Are there any
varieties of oak that should be avoided when smoking?

I have a huge live oak in the yard that will need trimming soon. When I added shade trees to the yard, I did not consider the BBQ and added bure oak, chinquapin oak, and mexican white oak. None on these will produce significant wood for years. I thinking the next tree will be a pecan.

Thanks,

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-25-2011, 07:42 AM
One of my favorites, Harmon's in San Antonio (Cibolo), uses live oak with great results. You are sitting on a score.

thirdeye
08-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Sure it's great wood. My family's ranch was a couple of hundred miles south of you and was loaded with live oak and mesquite. Both were used for barbecue wood. Here is the first pit I ever played with fire on, and ate barbecue off of..... that's a live oak tree in our side yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/e41fd3cc.jpg

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-25-2011, 07:57 AM
If you can grow Post Oak there, that would be my number one choice.

Beerbecue
08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Actually, the Red Oak used for the famed Santa Maria Tri Tip is Live Oak, specifically Coast Live Oak (Quercus Agrifolia)

Crazy Harry
08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
I would avoid poison oak

Mitch
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Oak is my primary wood for pork and beef. It's all good.

Fishawn
08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Sure it's great wood. My family's ranch was a couple of hundred miles south of you and was loaded with live oak and mesquite. Both were used for barbecue wood. Here is the first pit I ever played with fire on, and ate barbecue off of..... that's a live oak tree in our side yard.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/e41fd3cc.jpg

That is a really cool pic......... I love Red Oak on chicken...